Looking to buy an AR15

Guest Chattanoogan

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What to choose matters quite a lot on what your intended purpose for the rifle is. If you're gonna shoot a thousand rounds a year at the range off the bench six to ten times a year, then almost any name brand will work for your purposes. If your intention is to use the gun for a duty weapon, attend a few high round count classes a year, and train regularly with the gun-stuff that gets that gun hot on a regular basis-then what you choose really does matter. Parts ain't parts. All AR's are not created equal. If that's the case, go with a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense. The price difference is accounted for by the higher quality parts.

My friend Pat Rogers has a photo album of broken parts from commercial spec guns that couldn't survive his Carbine Operator's Course. When I took that class in April of this year, two guns went down, and both were commercial spec guns. The Colts and BCM's ran like tops.

By objective standards, the top tier of ARs is Colt, Bravo Company and Daniel Defense. LMT and Noveske are very close. After that, there are lesser quality builds and small manufacturers that probably don't have a large enough sample size or long enough history to provide valid data.

Bravo Company and Daniel Defense have "turnkey" models with all the bells and whistles; Colt rifles tend to come in more "stock" versions ready for you to trick out as you like. Daniel Defense and Colt can be bought off the rack in many gun stores, Bravo Company will require dealing directly with the company and your FFL for delivery. These guns cost more, because they are more.

Many AR manufacturers can deliver a rifle that will shoot great for 500 rounds. Many of those guns will run fine for 1,000 or 2,500 rounds, or maybe even more. The difference between an $800 Bushmaster and a $1,500 Daniel Defense will manifest over time. If you want to go to the range three or four times a year and shoot a few hundred rounds at a time, lots of AR manufacturers will suffice for that purpose. If you plan to run your gun hard, as in 1,500-2,000 rounds in a two day class, for example, buy a top tier rifle. If you plan to go to training classes like that regularly, you will eventually buy a top tier rifle. The only question you have to answer is will you buy that rifle first, or will you buy it after you learn what many others also learned the hard way.

I own a Bushmaster, an "frankengun," a Daniel Defense and a Bravo Company rifle. I like them all and they all shoot just fine. When I train, I take the Bravo Company as primary and Daniel Defense as backup. The frankengun and the Bushmaster are for my boys to shoot at the range. I've seen in many classes which guns run and which guns prompt their owner to say things like, "wow, that's never happened before......" I don't think it is a coincidence that the guys who I have seen struggle with their rifle in class are the guys who were telling me before class how the gun they built for $500 is just as good as my "overpriced" rifle.

Happy holidays. Hope this helps.

Guest Armgdnman

I can't believe no one has said anything about Stag Arms.

I have had my Stag Model 1 for about 2 years now and have put A LOT of rounds through it and have been thoroughly pleased. A good priced AR and IMHO the best bang for your buck.

What to choose matters quite a lot on what your intended purpose for the rifle is. If you're gonna shoot a thousand rounds a year at the range off the bench six to ten times a year, then almost any name brand will work for your purposes. If your intention is to use the gun for a duty weapon, attend a few high round count classes a year, and train regularly with the gun-stuff that gets that gun hot on a regular basis-then what you choose really does matter. Parts ain't parts. All AR's are not created equal. If that's the case, go with a Colt, BCM, Daniel Defense. The price difference is accounted for by the higher quality parts.

My friend Pat Rogers has a photo album of broken parts from commercial spec guns that couldn't survive his Carbine Operator's Course. When I took that class in April of this year, two guns went down, and both were commercial spec guns. The Colts and BCM's ran like tops.

This times 10. A lower end AR is in general fine for plinkers. If you plan to have a fighting gun or a gun you train with like a fighting gun, the lower end gun will almost always fail after being run hard for several occasions. There isn't a huge difference in price between near crap and very good gear, so save up and get the good gear.

By objective standards, the top tier of ARs is Colt, Bravo Company and Daniel Defense. LMT and Noveske are very close. After that, there are lesser quality builds and small manufacturers that probably don't have a large enough sample size or long enough history to provide valid data.

Bravo Company and Daniel Defense have "turnkey" models with all the bells and whistles; Colt rifles tend to come in more "stock" versions ready for you to trick out as you like. Daniel Defense and Colt can be bought off the rack in many gun stores, Bravo Company will require dealing directly with the company and your FFL for delivery. These guns cost more, because they are more.

Many AR manufacturers can deliver a rifle that will shoot great for 500 rounds. Many of those guns will run fine for 1,000 or 2,500 rounds, or maybe even more. The difference between an $800 Bushmaster and a $1,500 Daniel Defense will manifest over time. If you want to go to the range three or four times a year and shoot a few hundred rounds at a time, lots of AR manufacturers will suffice for that purpose. If you plan to run your gun hard, as in 1,500-2,000 rounds in a two day class, for example, buy a top tier rifle. If you plan to go to training classes like that regularly, you will eventually buy a top tier rifle. The only question you have to answer is will you buy that rifle first, or will you buy it after you learn what many others also learned the hard way.

I own a Bushmaster, an "frankengun," a Daniel Defense and a Bravo Company rifle. I like them all and they all shoot just fine. When I train, I take the Bravo Company as primary and Daniel Defense as backup. The frankengun and the Bushmaster are for my boys to shoot at the range. I've seen in many classes which guns run and which guns prompt their owner to say things like, "wow, that's never happened before......" I don't think it is a coincidence that the guys who I have seen struggle with their rifle in class are the guys who were telling me before class how the gun they built for $500 is just as good as my "overpriced" rifle.

Happy holidays. Hope this helps.

That was the primary reason I bought the dea configuration of the LWRC M6a2. I'm not very knowledgable about rifles, but I did quite a bit of research before finally making my decision on the rifle I wanted. Doesn't LWRC rank in the top tier of ARs as well? I know that a lot of money spent doesn't always mean you get quality product, but I did drop a chunk of change for my rifle.

Guest hcso617

I own a Colt which I've had for 20 years and it's been rock solid. I use a S&W at work which is a very nice rifle. I bought a Del-Ton for my son last year and we've shot the heck out of it, a lot of silver bear without a single hic-up. I would buy another Del-Ton without hesitation, can't beat it on price and as a previous poster wrote excellent fit and finish.

Bushmaster is a great weapon! I just didn't like the big hulk'n logo on the magwell at the time.

That's why I like the Bushmaster is the roll mark.

As to ARs if you want a build get a lower with a roll mark you like. 99% of the lowers are all good ones. Then get a Bravo Company complete upper. If you want an off the shelf gun any of the above brands are good ones.

I like my Bushmaster. If I had it to do again I'd probably buy one of Bravo Co's A couple of guys I work with bought some CMMG Bargain Bin rifles and have been pleased with them. for $650 (chrome lined version, definitely a necessity) I don't think you can really go wrong with that.

I'm one of those guys. I wanted an inexpensive AR to become familiar with the platform. It is perfect for that and a blast to shoot. I can upgrade it as I like, one piece at a time, until I have a complete 'high-end' rifle if that is what I decide I want to do. And now I will have a better idea of exactly what I want.

Guest malbolja

I have a RRA with 2 uppers, both RRA one carbine and one stainless bull bbl. Rifle is 100% with both uppers. I can only guess at round count, a couple thousand through the carbine and a couple hundred through the bull bbl.

Guest IceBreakerG

Here's another vote for building it yourself. I built my first AR a few months ago, and it turned out to be really easy with the right resources and tools. Brownell's has some good instructional videos on their site for building an AR-15, and youtube is a very good resource as well. I learned a lot just by watching the videos on youtube of other people showing how to install certain parts and assembling the complete right. You can see the pictures of my build at the link below:

http://www.nfynite.com/2010/08/06/custom-ar-15-build/

I'd say the hardest part was the lower receiver because of the roll pins, but if you can get past that, it's very simple, and a lot of fun too. I'd say the majority of my parts are DPMS and YHM. I would really like to take some classes using it, but not really sure where to look or go that's local in the Memphis area. But hey, if anything, at least check out some vids on youtube, it can help you make a better decision. I also believe it's cheaper overall to build a high quality rifle for less money than a name brand. The rifle that I built was almost a clone of the YHM Specter rifle. DPMS gas tube and an Aero precision upper receiver, Spike's Tactical lower, DPMS lower parts kit and butt stock, other misc DPMS parts, etc. I don't see why the rifle I built can't be just as reliable as a name brand when most of the parts are the same. When I put it to the test, I guess I'll find out though.

Guest 10mm4me

For the money, I think the S&W M&P15 is one of the best out rightt now (not the BEST, but darn good for the money). You can also pick up a nice Colt for around $1,200. Daniel Defense & LWRC are also very very good and can be had at a reasonable price.

Guest carbonarcher

Most of the one's on the market seem to be top self now. I personally sway towards Larue. I have a stealth upper, man that thing is a tack driver! The free floating forearm is rigid and solid as a rock. I have spoken with the gunsmithes there, asked them how they take care of there rifles,ie. lube and cleaning. They both relplied that we are aweful at taking care of our rifles. We just shoot them, unless they are going into long term storage, then they clean and "overlube" them.

Guest buttonhook

I built a frankin gun (see the gunsmithing forum for complete parts list).the main parts are DPMS lower / mega machines billet upper / 16" YHM 1:9 flutted barrel. It doesn't have but about 100 rounds through it but so far but it is a tack driver!! It does not like the cheap (tula) ammo (short cycles) but with brass cased ammo (i've shot federal and PMC so far)...no hicups at all.

I could have bought one cheaper but I got the parts I wanted. I will be changing out the DPMS lower for a mega machines billet lower so my upper and lower match. The DPMS lower seems ok, alot of companys use their lower parts kits in their lowers and I will use it for my new 20" rifle project after the first of the year.

BTW I had never built one of these before but it turned out pretty easy once I got over the fear factor. I would recommend building one!!