NRA convention coming to Nashville

Sorry if this was already posted elsewhere-

The National Rifle Association is coming to Nashville in May 2015 in what is expected to be the largest single convention this city has ever hosted, Mayor Karl Dean announced today.

“They will come in cars they will come in planes, but they will come,†Dean told a luncheon gathering of Nashville area hoteliers at the Marriot Nashville Hotel. “It will be the biggest convention this city has ever had.â€

The city beat out Philadelphia, Dallas, Kansas City and Louisville for the gathering, which is expected to draw more than 50,000 convention-goers and fill between 5,000 and 6,000 hotel rooms, according to Butch Spyridon, president of the Nashville Convention & Visitors Bureau.

They will be meeting at the still-under-construction Music City Center, stay in the not-yet-built Omni Hotel as well as other local hotels.

The city is currently negotiating with the NRA to be among a rotating handful of cities who host the group’s annual conventions, Dean said.

The city continues on the task of “aggressively pursuing other conventions,†Dean said.

NRA convention coming to Nashville | tennessean.com | The Tennessean++

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There was a thread on the subject back during all the "carry in restaurant" law voting and lawsuits by the Randy Rayburn bunch. General tone was trying to make sure that all the restaurants that were posting did not benefit by the convention coming to town. We need to put a hurt on them so that they realize what they missed out on financailly. Specifically Randy Rayburn and his buddies. Black list the bunch.

Edited by Trekbike
What all goes on at a NRA convention? Do they have vendors showing the latest goods etc...?

Yes, it's their annual meeting and fundraiser.

A great opportunity to mingle with 50,000+ 2A supporters.

The exhibition hall is smaller than what you would see at SHOT, but it has most/all of the major players in the industry, and is a great chance to see the new stuff out on the market, and meet/greet the major players in the industry.

Check it out:

NRA 2011 Annual Meetings & Exhibits - Home

This is GREAT news for Nashville!

Nashville has already hosted the convention once but I can't remember what year is was.

The exhibition was in the convention center across from the Bridgestone Arena and the main dinner was at the Opryland Hotel.

Rush Limbaugh was the keynote speaker as well.

Guest HexHead

I'm really disappointed in the NRA for choosing Nashville. They could have only made a worse choice if they took the annual meeting to Chicago. Karl Dean, the Tourist and Convention Board, the Chamber of Commerce and the restaurant association did everything they could to defeat the guns in restaurants bill. There is no way this city deserves to be rewarded with the millions of dollars an NRA annual meeting brings.

I would have much preferred the NRA told them "Sorry, you're all a bunch of ****tards."

By all means let's recommend the NRA take their business elsewhere. :rolleyes:

"Stay out of Tennesee you biggest supporter of gun rights in the nation. We don't want your presence here"

Are you freaking serious? Think about what you said. Those you mentioned helped arrange it, or is the NRA putting on the show themselves?

Edited by Garufa

I can understand Hex's point. His point is that all the anti's were saying this is a bad law because it sends a bad messages to tourists and they will stay away. Then you've got the NRA rewarding the bunch. I understand the ecomonic impact that the convention brings and I'm for that. I just don't want to see the restaurants that post get any of the revenue from it. Especially Randy Rayburn and his buddies. That's what I was saying in my earlier post about black balling the posted restaurants and we need to make them understand that they're being black balled.

They need to understand that you can't have it both ways.

Now watch the Metro Council vote to post the convention center like they did to make the Arena smoke free right after spending a ton of money on the ventilation system for the cigar bar area of the restaurant.

My thoughts exactly. My money says you won't be allowed to carry. Though I would appreciate the input of some who have been to one. Most convention centers, sports arenas, and the like are posted, so I'm wondering what has been done in the past.

I agree that the convention center will posted. My comments about black listing the posted restaurants were for eating off premises whether the tourist was carrying or not.

I'm betting most of them will be just like us and won't go into a posted business even when not carrying. I wouldn't be surprised to see some posted restaurants in the downtown area conveniently remove the signs just while the convention is in town in order to get some of the business from the tourists.

Another link to the story with more info:

NRA meeting will put Nashville in big league | tennessean.com | The Tennessean

Nashville restaurateur Randy Rayburn, who last year unsuccessfully sought a court ruling overturning a new state law allowing guns in bars, said he welcomes the NRA convention to town.

"I think any and every group that comes to visit Nashville is great for our economy," he said. "But in the words of Johnny Cash, 'Don't bring your guns to town.'

"I'm actually a former member of the NRA and a former deputy sheriff, and I think guns are OK in the right place."

Guest HexHead
By all means let's recommend the NRA take their business elsewhere. :D

"Stay out of Tennesee you biggest supporter of gun rights in the nation. We don't want your presence here"

Are you freaking serious? Think about what you said. Those you mentioned helped arrange it, or is the NRA putting on the show themselves?

Yes, I absolutely meant it. I don't know how it is in the Knoxville suburbs, though your country parks aren't posted, but the powers that be in Nashville are one very liberal anti-gun crowd. **** them and the horse they rode in on. If they were instrumental in convincing the NRA to come here, it only highlights the famous liberal hypocrisy.

I thought it was a bad idea when I first heard about it and let the NRA know what my wife and I thought about it (both life members), i think it's a bad idea now and will continue to think its a horrible idea.