Reloading bench

Guest carbonarcher

Guest carbonarcher

I have limited space, no garage, and wish to set up my Dillion 550 and Square deal b. Do any of you know of some "compact" benches that I could maybe fit into a bedroom? Got a spare one of those...

Thanks for the help!

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You could get a piece of kitchen countertop and mount your stuff to it.

Use it on a desk or dresser and stow it away when not in use.

I used an old fire door from a hospital and mounted it on a base cabinet.

The thing is heavy and a good surface to work off of.

I cant see using a mobile type bench with a 550

I see the bench wanting to move all over the place with a full shell plate

I had to rework my stationary bench a bunch to make it rock solid sturdy when I went from a

LCT to a 550

A reloading bench needs to be very sturdy (heavy) to keep it from rocking around. You'll be disappointed if you use a flimsy table or bench. You don't want everything on the bench wobbling around every time you pull the handle on your press. A heavy counter top type material is what I would recommend.

How about one of those "Workmate" style portable workbenches. They seem pretty sturdy, fold up when not in use and you can clamp stuff to it. I have my press mounted to a short piece of 1x8 that I clamp to my workbench. Makes it pretty easy to remove if I want to use my bench for another project.

• 2 weeks later...

I wish I had pics of one I built but here it goes from memory,..

2"x2" cleats and 2"x8" boards most closets have a 3 wall side to one end,.. set the cleats into the studs and then screw the 2x8s to the cleats you can cover with a thin layer of door skin (luan) also add shelving as needed,..doesn't cost much I imagine you could also use a clearance piece of counter top instead of the 2x8s

was nice as when I moved out a little joint compound in the screw holes and no damage to walls,.. also out of sight out of mind put the safe in the other end if the closet so it was my mini-gun room

John

P.S. was very solid mounting for a 550 used to load -06 for my M-1 and resizing those in a Dillon will torque a bench !