I have a dilemma

Guest REDDOG79

Guest REDDOG79

I didn't know quite where to post this so if there is another forum more suited to this then Mods please move it.

I had to go to my Doctor today to get a prescription refilled. I like my doctor and thye have just moved into a new facility. I had previously gone to their new facility just after it opened but today when I went I noticed the TCA posting that prohibits carrying of weapons at the office. I walked back to the truck and disarmed before entering the building. At the end of my visit I asked my Dr. what prompted them to post. She said she didn't know it was and why would I notice? After explaining that I had a permit to carry and had to disarm to enter the building she said it was probably due to their behavioral section. She then said she didn't understand why someone would carry a gun. I explained why I carried and we touched on the "Guns in Bars" bill that passed last year and I explained about why restaurant carry was the reason most HCP holders wanted it passed.

here is the dilemma:

I like my doctor but I hate that they have posted. I am thinking of finding a new doctor. Any thoughts

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I would get over it. Most, if not all, hospitals post no weapons signs. I wouldn't carry anyway because you might have to disrobe. They probably treated enough people from the "gun and knife club" in their career to develop a distaste for weapons. I respect them and their organization so I abide by the rules they set-forth.

Guest clsutton21

I'd go to a different doctor if you are afraid of something happening to you in a doctors office where you need a firearm.

Edited by clsutton21
I'd go to a different doctor if you are afraid of something happening to you in a doctors office where you need a firearm.

Which is the same argument anti gun folks use for all other places, like restaurants, church's, schools, etc. "Why do you need to have your gun there, it's perfectly safe, it's a "gun free zone"?"

Yet another post that gives the appearance, that you are truly anti-gun.

Most of us on here carry to protect ourselves and our loved ones, in the small chance that something bad happens, it is true, that the likelihood of something bad happening is low, but so is having your house catch on fire, a car wreck, catastrophic illness or injury, but we, if possible, carry insurance for the possibility of these low probability events occurring. It sounds like you have figured out when danger is going to appear, that's awesome, but not all of us our that intuitive.

Wow, dude you go to a woman doctor. I bet its fun when you get a physical, especially the prostate exam. Get over the doctor's office posting, fortunately, when I go in for doctor visit, my doc and I sit and talk about our rifles, handguns, reloading, etc. His office isn't posted but I don't carry in just as a courtesy.

Guest tnxdshooter
I didn't know quite where to post this so if there is another forum more suited to this then Mods please move it.

I had to go to my Doctor today to get a prescription refilled. I like my doctor and thye have just moved into a new facility. I had previously gone to their new facility just after it opened but today when I went I noticed the TCA posting that prohibits carrying of weapons at the office. I walked back to the truck and disarmed before entering the building. At the end of my visit I asked my Dr. what prompted them to post. She said she didn't know it was and why would I notice? After explaining that I had a permit to carry and had to disarm to enter the building she said it was probably due to their behavioral section. She then said she didn't understand why someone would carry a gun. I explained why I carried and we touched on the "Guns in Bars" bill that passed last year and I explained about why restaurant carry was the reason most HCP holders wanted it passed.

here is the dilemma:

I like my doctor but I hate that they have posted. I am thinking of finding a new doctor. Any thoughts

new dr it is. I dont trust va doctors (long story) or women doctors either (another long story).

• Administrator

No where is perfectly safe. The idea of a mythical doctor's office where no bad things could happen is absurd. The idea is to find a doctor's office where carry isn't prohibited... or to just exercise civil disobedience. Which I would never advocate, of course.

I figure it as like when I go out to dinner at a restaurant. If they post they don't get my money so I am trying to use the same rationale here.
Seems to me you just answered your own question. Kudos.

Yep.

I think that's is just going to get harder to find Dr. offices that don't post especially if they are in a large office building. Your Dr. could be fine with HCP holders but building management decides to make their building off limits. Private Dr's offices seem to be rather rare here in the Nashville area but I know there are some. More rural areas are probably easier to find them.

I have settled on a Dr that I like and if/when his building posts then I'll just disarm before entering. Otherwise I think that we would be changing Drs very often.

I would get over it. Most, if not all, hospitals post no weapons signs. I wouldn't carry anyway because you might have to disrobe. They probably treated enough people from the "gun and knife club" in their career to develop a distaste for weapons. I respect them and their organization so I abide by the rules they set-forth.

I agree. Most physician I know own guns, some have very nice collections, and many have carry permits themselves. Most visits to their office require a physical exam, even if it is not a complete physical, which requires at least removing a shirt. It is tough to examine someone's stomach who is carrying a gun IWB. It just seems easier to ask that you leave the gun inside the car.

I would not complain about my doctor admit me to not carry on his office. I also have a great deal of respect for what he does and the time it took him to get where he is. So abiding by his rules in his office sounds fair to me.

Nolo, I've carried a full-size Browning Hi-Power and extra mag into the doc's office, had a full exam and X-rays, and neither the doc or any of his staff ever knew the gun was there.

Now, if any of the people at your doctor's office stand there and watch you get undressed for the exams and such, it wouldn't be possible to get away with that. However, if they do watch, you probably need to find another doctor any way... :D

Sorry, but the medical people can just get over themselves when it comes to my gun, or anything I feel like I need to be doing or carrying. And if they can't or won't, then I'll find someone who will.

I agree. Most physician I know own guns, some have very nice collections, and many have carry permits themselves. Most visits to their office require a physical exam, even if it is not a complete physical, which requires at least removing a shirt. It is tough to examine someone's stomach who is carrying a gun IWB. It just seems easier to ask that you leave the gun inside the car.

I would not complain about my doctor admit me to not carry on his office. I also have a great deal of respect for what he does and the time it took him to get where he is. So abiding by his rules in his office sounds fair to me.

I think I would find another doctor and just pocket carry that day so it's not really any different than your wallet or keys. If you have to undress, you just leave the handgun in your pocket and lay your pants on the chair. My doctor always leaves the room to let me undress and get dressed again, so he wouldn't know the difference anyhow. I have even considered some sort of bag, but I just can't get used to the idea of a man-purse.

Whenever people give me that "I don't understand why anyone would carry a gun" line, I ask them if they:

1) Lock their doors at night

2) Have car or life insurance

3) Keep a gun at home

I also use a similar line of logic for the "why does anyone need a gun that will (enter anti-gun talking point here)" thing.

1) Is your car capable of driving over 70 mph?

2) Does your car have room for more people than you have in your family?

3) Can you take the bus to work/school instead of driving?

4) Etc., etc., etc....

The obvious points here being that owning a gun is no different than virtually all other decisions in life. Too bad the anti-gun crowd has done such a good job making people think like that.

I have carried in my doctor's office on several occasions. Once was for a physical. I simply undressed, laid my weapon and ammo on the chair and covered them up with my shirt and pants. No one was the wiser.

That's been my experience, DaddyO... But then I don't insist on doing a strip-tease for the nurses, like some folks apparently do... :D

Guest clsutton21
Are ya psychic?

If not, how do you decide where or when you may need to be armed?

I am a little psychic, but not enough to predict events.

Basically, I think I'm good enough with my hands to not need a firearm everywhere I go. Sure there will be situations that a firearm would be useful, but unless some guy just walks in and opens fire on random people, I like to think I could handle myself well enough.

My grandfather got his permit because he said he is "too old to run, and too old to fight" and he boxed in the Navy during the Cuban Missile Crisis era; I'm not too old to do either, however..

Edited by clsutton21