Large Hadron Collider

Guest clsutton21

Your opinion on the Large Hadron Collider  

37 members have voted

1. 1. Your opinion on the Large Hadron Collider

• Beneficial to science.
    • Will kill us all!!!
    • I don't really care or know what it is.

Guest clsutton21

What are your opinions on the Large Hadron Collider?

Do you think it is beneficial to science?

Do you think it will create a chain reaction of black holes that will destroy the universe?

Do you not care?

I belong in the first category. Although it will surely create black holes, due to the microscopic proportions of the black holes, they won't have the size needed to sustain the speed of mass absorption.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
It's too dangerous.

Somebody could steal the anti-matter and blow up the Vatican.

- OS

Just like in that movie with the guy!

But yes, the LHC I feel will be of great benefit to science. I've been following it's developments for years being a science geek.

Guest clsutton21
I'm still waiting for you to make me laugh.

I don't understand why you made this comment. I am assuming it was because you thought my comment to OS was sarcastic, it wasn't. I genuinely did laugh at the movie reference.

I know exactly what it is but couldn't care less. What it ultimately proves to be, useful or otherwise, isn't dependent on what it is, or what it can be used for. It's just a machine, after all. Sort'a like a gun...

Guest bkelm18
You should have a choice of: It's a huge was of money that'll derive very little benefit similar to how it was with going to the moon.

:rolleyes: Yep. Helping unlock the secrets of the universe definitely has no benefit whatsoever. Science is just blasphemy anyway.

Guest tnxdshooter
What are your opinions on the Large Hadron Collider?

Do you think it is beneficial to science?

Do you think it will create a chain reaction of black holes that will destroy the universe?

Do you not care?

I belong in the first category. Although it will surely create black holes, due to the microscopic proportions of the black holes, they won't have the size needed to sustain the speed of mass absorption.

First of all what the hell is it?

:rolleyes: Yep. Helping unlock the secrets of the universe definitely has no benefit whatsoever. Science is just blasphemy anyway.

There is the chance that it will unlock very, very little of scientific significance. Not downplaying the importance of science at all, but this device could end up being a huge waste of money. It all depends on the scientific returns we get from the thing - actually get not what someone is expecting to discover.

Guest bkelm18
There is the chance that it will unlock very, very little of scientific significance. Not downplaying the importance of science at all, but this device could end up being a huge waste of money. It all depends on the scientific returns we get from the thing - actually get not what someone is expecting to discover.

I agree, but you have to take chances to make progress. Even if they cost a butt-ton of money.

I agree, but you have to take chances to make progress. Even if they cost a butt-ton of money.

No arguement from me - sounds like we are on the same page. This has potential for massive scientific gains. It could be a waste of large amounts of money. I guess its possible it could cause the end of the world. The actual benefit won't be know for some time.

If we already knew the results, they wouldn't be called experiments. Or, as a friend of mine likes to say: if we knew what we were doing, it wouldn't be research.

Even if they cost a butt-ton of money.

People who say it wasn't worth the amount spent on it need to keep one thing in mind: It's not like they were going to give that butt-ton of money to any of us anyway, so it's not like it really matters what they spent it on. Hadron Collider or hookers and booze.... it's all the same to me 'cause they were never planing on sharing in the first place. :confused:

At least they didn't waste the money on somebody's political campaign...

I think it will be beneficial to science, but I doubt it will do as much as I've heard without

costing so much money to be worthwhile. Bottom line is the bottom line and it can't be

ignored. Scientists get our money, and that's okay with me, as long as the project has goals

that will benefit society. They should be held to account for the money spent as Congress

should be held accountable. No blank checks. Goals must be attainable and in writing.

Beneficial to science and society should be the goal.

They should be held to account for the money spent as Congress

should be held accountable. No blank checks. Goals must be attainable and in writing.

Beneficial to science and society should be the goal.

Fortunately, most scientist are accountable to no one. Because there's no way to guarantee any attainable goal. They get their money, and if they don't end up with something to show for it, they eventually quit getting any money... unlike congress or any other government/government agency.

Oh, and what's beneficial to science may not necessarily be beneficial to society. :confused: