.22 Handgun help

Parrothead

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in the same hunt for a .22 semi-auto pistol. I've shot the P22 but not the Mosquito yet. The early P22's had teething problems; newer ones less so. Google "The P22 bible"; it details most of the problems you might encounter, as well as solutions. The Sig forums have a couple of detailed threads about the Mosquito, too.

In general, both of those pistols seem to run best on CCI Mini-mags as recommended by the manufacturer. Other brands of ammo have varying success depending on how well-tuned & broken-in one's particular pistol is.

I have small hands, and these two pistols have the grips that I like the best so far. The P22's small grip (it comes with two sizes) is the smallest of all the .22 autos out there, and is almost a little too small for me. I love the Mosquito's grips; they fit my hands the best. However, I really dislike the trigger. Very long travel (even shooting single-action), and kinda clunky. The double-action pull is kinda stiff, too. Both have threaded barrels available so you can attach a suppressor if you like.

Do yourself a big favor & test-drive them both before you plunk down the cash. Most people are quite happy to let you shoot theirs if you ask nicely. At least handle them at a gun show or dealership to get more familiar with them.

Guest CajunKen

How about the Ruger MKIII? It has a great trigger, is very accurate, and the slide is easy to pull. In my opinion, it is better for a female than the other 2.

If you must have one of the two you mentioned I would recommend getting the Walther. I can't say enough bad things about a Mosquito and its design. The Mosqquito has a great feel in the hand but that is about all the good I can about it. I've completely dismantled a couple of Mosquitos for friends and IMHO you should just ignore them. As a nut for "value" .22s you can't hardly beat the major players: Buck, Ruger and S&W. The Walther is OK, again in my opinion, not near the quality of the "Big 3," but they will work, are small and can be quite fun with or without a suppressor.

Craig in Clarksville

If you're looking purely for a plinker, which will only be used for poking holes in paper, then the Ruger Mk II / III or Browning Buckmark are the be-all end-all of low cost high performance .22 pistols. If you're looking for something to mimic the controls on a pistol you already have, that changes things.

What do you intend to do with your .22 once you get it?

greg that's a nice looking gun for $300. I think I would trade my buckmark for one of those. How's the feeding and reliability through it?

So far, so good. It is pretty accurate, has a great trigger, three dot adjustable sights, ambi safety, feeds and ejects reliably, and feels and works just like any 1911. I think it's a lot of gun for $300.

Guess I'm the odd man out here, but I've fired both and I much preferred the SIG to the Walther. I liked the trigger on the SIG better and I didn't constantly drop the mag out when when I accidentally like I did on the Walther. Must have shot 50 rounds and with all five mags I accidentally dropped the mag at least once. The release is where the trigger guard meets the grip. Apparently that's in a bad spot for me.

Now personally, I'd take my Ruger MkII Target over either on of them. I think it's a better pistol. Very accurate, has an awesome trigger and isn't finicky with ammo at all. So far it's eat everything from Standard velocity target loads to stingers with nary a hiccup.