research paper sources

I am going to write a research paper on the legally armed citizen and possibly narrowing it down to something like the bar carry issue or the recent gun buster sign bs. I am looking for some good sources of information on this topic. I need some good credible sources for this topic, I have a few articles from the NRA magazines, but need a few more. Have any of you guys read something that stuck out to you? Something like newspaper articles, magazine articles possibly even some statistics from the FBI or BATFE showing something in favor of legal carry? Thanks in advance.

Edited by twstdstng
  • Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

legaly = legally

credable = credible

atricals = articles

My contribution to improving your paper. :rolleyes:

- OS

Thanks for the pointers, however I am not looking to have perfect spelling and grammer on an internet forum, just looking for some sources. Since you are an English teacher, I will be forwarding my paper to you for proofreading:D Edited by twstdstng

Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

That document is fairly well cited, many sources used to create that document are backed up by FBI/BATFE crime stats or peer reviewed research... It should be a good jumping off point... Also this book is will cited in the footnotes:

Amazon.com: More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws (Studies in Law and Economics) (9780226493633): John R. Lott Jr.: Books

Between those 2 you should be good to go :D

Gun Facts - Gun Control | Facts | Debunk | Myths

That document is fairly well cited, many sources used to create that document are backed up by FBI/BATFE crime stats or peer reviewed research... It should be a good jumping off point... Also this book is will cited in the footnotes:

Amazon.com: More Guns, Less Crime: Understanding Crime and Gun Control Laws (Studies in Law and Economics) (9780226493633): John R. Lott Jr.: Books

Between those 2 you should be good to go :D

Thanks, these will help out.

There are piles and piles of sources out there. The question is whether you can access them or not - or if you willing to pay to access the ones you want to use. Also, what do you plan on doing with the paper once it's completed - is it for a class or publication somewhere? John Lott's book is a good starting point. He has also written several peer-reviewed articles that have been published in academic journals. One of the easiest ways to start researching any topic is to use Google Scholar. Just type in your search terms and it will pull up different academic & professional publications. Sometimes they are free full-text versions, but many times it will take you to the journal site where it is available for purchase. If you go to the local college library or public library, they may have paper copies of these journals available for you to use. Most libraries have access to a search resource called Lexis-Nexis. It can search a large number of newspapers and magazines for these types of articles. As far as the NRA material, you can go to their website and search directly through the site. I know that the NRA Institute for Legislative Action has some good articles archived. If you have any specific questions, feel free to PM me and I can help you out.

Heres an idea for your paper. You will never run out of sources or opinions.

The 2nd Amendment.

States Rights Vs. The Supreme Court of the United States.

That's your best source. Start with the Bill of Rights

and don't stop until you've read it aloud to yourself

at least a hundred times. Then go to John Lott's

book. You will find the rest of the way by yourself.

Have fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest going to the local public library and talking to the reference librarian - they are there to help with such quests as yours and can point you in the right direction for recent information, plus possible other sources you could use to develop context. When doing my thesis, I learned a lot about about my topic and more importantly, how much a good librarian can help out.

Good luck and have fun.