Cheapest music download site?

Bubbatn

So my mom is going to be getting my brother an MP3 player for Christmas and I told him I would put some songs on it for him. I have never dealt with these things, so I don't know where the best place to download music from is. I'm not asking for these "free" sites, just legitimate/safe download site where you pay so much for each song. I know itunes seems to be popular, but not sure if the MP3 player has to be an IPOD to download from there? Or if there are cheaper places to get them? So does anyone have any suggestions?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

walmart.com has a pretty big music download site. I haven't visited it for awhile, but in the past the downloads were in non-copy-protected mp3. I would never pay money for copy-protected music files personally.

The only place I've bought mp3's is from Amazon.com. I'm not a huge fan of amazon, but it is easy to find music and it doesn't seem too expensive. It is usually cheaper to buy albums than individual mp3's. Some music is much cheaper than others.

The music available seems very deep at amazon. I've found incredibly ancient obscure rock, folk and blues on amazon. Un copy protected mp3.

I bought a couple of download TV shows from amazon, but probably won't buy any more. Amazon copy-protects their videos and if I buy something I want to own it, not rent it.

I don't really care for apple or itunes. I wouldn't buy music or video from apple just on a matter of principle. It is kind of a love-hate relationship. Have programmed Macs since 1986 and still program macs about half the time, but apple just bugs me for assorted reasons. Google might bug me more. Compared to apple and google, microsoft is relatively benign. :)

I have used them all at one time or another but now I only use Amazon. Their prices are good and they have thousands of $5 albums. iTunes sucks because you buy the music but you dont really own it, they control what types of devices you can play the music on which I think is BS.

Guest clsutton21
clsutton21's link would get the forum in trouble if congress passes that internet intellectual property lockdown law.

I've never used it, it's just the cheapest.

Thanks guys, I believe i'm gonna stick with Amazon as most seem to be happy with them, plus i'm sure its about as safe as you could get compared to some of the other less popular sites, or the torrent/free download type sites that you have to worry about downloading something extra along with the song. So thanks to everyone for the input.

Guest tnxdshooter
So my mom is going to be getting my brother an MP3 player for Christmas and I told him I would put some songs on it for him. I have never dealt with these things, so I don't know where the best place to download music from is. I'm not asking for these "free" sites, just legitimate/safe download site where you pay so much for each song. I know itunes seems to be popular, but not sure if the MP3 player has to be an IPOD to download from there? Or if there are cheaper places to get them? So does anyone have any suggestions?

Cheapest I have found is as follows.

I went to the download.com website and downloaded the Youtube Downloader.

http://download.cnet.com/YouTube-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html?tag=mncol;4

The instructions are very easy to follow. Even people I know that have limited computer ability can use it.

Basically what it does is download the video to your desktop in mpeg4 format

Then you can tell the you tube converter to convert it to mp3. It works well and I find nearly all my music this way now since lime wire, kazaa, morpheus, etc have pretty much been shut down.

Well, I started downloading some songs tonight using Amazon.com's setup. I like how they have their MP3 Downloader setup, click on "Buy", you confirm the purchase, and it starts downloading it. It automatically charges your debit/credit card as you buy songs(I think it may wait until you have a certain monetary amount before it makes the charge...not sure on that), but I like how its setup.

So far on the list....(Some I won't mind having myself, some requested by my brother)

ZZ Top - Fandango Album

Metallic - Enter Sandman, Nothing Else Matters, One

Megadeth - Greatests Hits/Back to the start Album

Johnny Cash - Super Hits

Much more to come! :(