G19 question

Guest Nash45

Guest Guy N. Cognito
No need.

I never said anything about the issue being "new."

Worse is different than new.

Worse is subjective. My Gen4 is better, to me, than my Gen2.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Worse is subjective. My Gen4 is better, to me, than my Gen2.

Great, glad to hear it.

My point being, if you take your own advice and Google, you'll find that there are generally more issues/problems with Gen4s and failures-to-cycle than the Gen2/3s.

Glock has basically acknowledged this by way of the already several "updated/new" recoil guide rods for the Gen4s in the very short period of time since its introduction.

I don't think that is subjective.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Great, glad to hear it.

My point being, if you take your own advice and Google, you'll find that there are generally more issues/problems with Gen4s and failures-to-cycle than the Gen2/3s.

Glock has basically acknowledged this by way of the already several "updated/new" recoil guide rods for the Gen4s in the very short period of time since its introduction.

I don't think that is subjective.

No need. I'm quite familiar with the perceived issue as I am a regular on the Glock boards. I've heard the handful of complaints, but I've also seen hundreds if posts touting flawless operation. Most of the biggest complainers don't even own the pistol. :)

With every new generation, the complaints are the same and can typically be boiled down to weak ammo and limpwtisting. Heck, I bought my Gen2 off a guy that swore it was defective. I made zero modifications and it has been flawless for many years and thousands of rounds.

Let it break in a bit, preferably using hotter ammo. It should operate just fine. If not, I'm sure the folks at Glock will be happy to send you a new spring.

• Admin Team

I've got 400 rounds through a Gen4 G19 that I bought after firing Todd's prior generation G19 earlier this year.

With a mix of 300 WWB 115gr and 100 147gr Federal HSTs, I have not had a single issue with mine. I couldn't be happier with it.

That was the one. I like the Gen4 grip enough that I haven't stippled it, yet. May in the future, though.

With the Gen4's near perfect texture, I wouldn't bother.

Not as rough as RTF, but much "grippy-er" than Gen2/3.

What I love about Gen4...

- interchangeable backstraps

- new texture

- new mag release

IMO, Gen4 pretty much kills the aftermarket stiple/grip reduction business.

Edited by TN-popo
  • Admin Team

Love the mag release. Was amped up about the interchangeable backstraps as well - the stock one actaully fits my hand best, though.

I'm running TrueGlo TFO's on it as well. I've got to say that I absolutely love them so far. They are unbelievable in both broad daylight and darkness.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Love the mag release. Was amped up about the interchangeable backstraps as well - the stock one actaully fits my hand best, though.

I'm running TrueGlo TFO's on it as well. I've got to say that I absolutely love them so far. They are unbelievable in both broad daylight and darkness.

Me too. I have them on all my Glocks.

I just picked up a new Glock 19 Gen4 today! I will let you know how it goes tomorrow at the range. I traded off a S&W M&P9 full size, it just didnt feel right to me (had the thumb safety also). I love my M&P 9c though. Still wanted to give a Glock a run for my heart.

A friend of mine has the same issue with a Gen 4 Glock 19. He contacted Glock in Smyrna, GA and they advised the new recoil spring assemblies will be available by mid December. They took is name and address to send him one.

They acknowledged the problem is with 115 grain target ammo and advised to increase the bullet weight to resolve the problem until the recoil spring assembly is available.

A friend of mine has the same issue with a Gen 4 Glock 19. He contacted Glock in Smyrna, GA and they advised the new recoil spring assemblies will be available by mid December. They took is name and address to send him one.

They acknowledged the problem is with 115 grain target ammo and advised to increase the bullet weight to resolve the problem until the recoil spring assembly is available.

:screwy:

Must have been more than a "handful" of continued complaints for Glock to issue yet another updated recoil assembly.

W4CCR, thanks for the update.

As TGO David (and others here who know me) can attest, I'm usually the Gaston Kool-Aid drinker.

I just think Gen4 9mms still need some tweeking. When fully tweeked, I'll jump in with both feet.

Edited by TN-popo
Guest Guy N. Cognito
:whistle:

Must have been more than a "handful" of continued complaints for Glock to issue yet another updated recoil assembly.

W4CCR, thanks for the update.

As TGO David (and others here who know me) can attest, I'm usually the Gaston Kool-Aid drinker.

I just think Gen4 9mms still need some tweeking. When fully tweeked, I'll jump in with both feet.

Playing to the vocal minority is just good customer service. This really isn't news; they have made these springs available for about a month, although in limited quantities.

If one were to buy a $3000 Wilson Combat, put 100 rounds of weak target ammo through it, then come on any Internet forum and complain about issues, they would be chastised greatly by the majority. They would be told to let it break in. They would be told it was as common as Christmas. Some 1911 forums would ban them as trolls. It is expected that those guns will have a break in period. Do the same with a Glock................ ;). I find the comparison fascinating.

Glock made their recoil system more complex in order to reduce felt recoil and increase shootability. It stands to reason that the more complex system needs more of a break in than the previous generation. Anecdotal information from the Internet would lead me to believe that most of these "problems" cure themselves after about 200 rounds.

Well I took my new Glock 19 Gen4 to the range today and absolutley loved it. This is my first Glock. I have owned XDs, M&Ps, and a 92FS. This is by far my new favorite. I have shot previous generation Glocks and this is my impression. Trigger seems to be more crisp but slightly heavier, overall an improvement with a clean break. Reset is awesome compared to the other pistols mentioned and is very noticeable. My follow up shots were faster and seemed more accurate. Could just be me but I felt it had less muzzle flip and more of a straight back recoil. Texture of grip to me is perfect as well as the general size without inserts. I now know why the G19 is so popular, it really is the perfect size for a multi purpose handgun. I did have one failer to eject on my second magazine but that was my only malfunction out of 130 rounds. I chop it up to weak ammo, I was shooting the blue box stuff they sell at On Target and the shot even sounded weak. Just in case someone is wondering I have the #3 recoil spring. Hope this provides atleast something useful although it is mostly just my opinion.

They acknowledged the problem is with 115 grain target ammo and advised to increase the bullet weight to resolve the problem until the recoil spring assembly is available. (quote from W4CCR)

I called Glock on my Gen.4 19 and was told the exact same thing.

Guest DapperDanMan

I called Glock on my Gen.4 19 and was told the exact same thing.

+1

Got my Gen 4 G19 in mid October and bought Remington UMC 115 grain target ammo and had failure to eject on first round fired, and every couple of rounds thereafter (And no, I wasn't limpwristing). Started to get worried, but went and shot with my uncle, who is a glock armorer, who wanted to see the problem I was having. Shot a box of his WWB 115 grain through it without a problem at all. I have shot a few times since with WWB 115 grain and it has shot perfectly. Went back to the Remington UMC and had a couple of failure to ejects again. It's just certain makes of 115 grain target ammo as stated by Glock. Updated recoil spring SHOULD fix the problem.

My Gen 4 19 has a shell casing collection date of 10/19/10 and came with a 03 recoil spring assembly. To date I have fired 625 rounds of mixed S&B, Federal and WWB, all 115 gr FMJ, without so much as a hiccup. First Glock I ever owned. Don't know why I waited so long to buy one.

cch2a...............my spring had NO STAMP. I asked the Glock tech support guy about why there was no stamp and he said " It is one off the first springs they issued with the Gen 4 19s." I hope the new spring from Glock fixes my problem. If not, they are going to be sick and tired of me calling in constantly.

Verdict: Some folks have no issues. Some do with FTF or FTE. I will update this post with the results after I get the spring.

Edited by Nash45
Guest Guy N. Cognito
What's the verdict on 4th gen G19s? Thinking about getting one for CCW and a pistol course.

Glock Talk Home

Do a search on "Gen4" and you'll get more reading that you'll ever want on the new pistol.

In summary:

• Most Gen4 owners are having no problems with the new pistol.
  • A few owners are experiencing minor issues (mostly FTE) during the first 300 rounds, that seem to solve themselves with proper break-in.
  • Even fewer owners claim that, despite a significant number of rounds downrange, they are still experiencing problems. All of these people swear they are great shooters and don't flinch or limpwrist the pistol.
  • A very large number of people badmouth the pistol, yet haven't owned one, shot one, or even seen one in person. They tend to be the most vocal group.
  • A very small minority believe that this is some grand conspiracy by the Obama administration to end handgun ownership. ;)
  • Most satisfied owners believe that a proper grip will keep the problem from happening.
  • If it doesn't, Glock will give you a weaker recoil spring assembly free of charge.

My pistol has had zero malfunctions and I've shot it strong handed, weak-handed, one-handed, etc. For the record, I have "0-3" stamped on my guide rod.