"Affordable" 1911 Poll...Need some opinions.

Bubbatn

Which would you prefer?  

82 members have voted

1. 1. Which would you prefer?

• American Classic
    • Para Ordnance
    • American Tactical Imports
    • Rock Island
    • Taurus

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest tnxdshooter
I almost bought a PT1911. I bought another Taurus and after that debacle I will not own another. The barrel was extremely rough, the customer service was non existent and in the end I had to spend money to replace the missing parts on a new gun.

This wasn't a PT1911 but it was a Taurus.

Dolomite

The fit and finish on my pt1911 is great. Barrel is nice and rifled cleanly. There are no metal burrs on the internals. The stainless is not really a shiny stainless. I kind of like a stainless that looks kind of like nickel like what is on my xd 40. No problems out of the pt1911 either. It is a tack driver. I alternate carrying it with my xd40.

Guest tnxdshooter
Yeah, most of their other guns are teh suck. For whatever reason they got the 1911 right but can't seem to get their own designs right.

They are made on old springfield armory dies. Supposedly the revolvers are made on smith and wesson dies but they seem to take more care in manufacturing their semi-autos than they do their revolvers.

Guest tnxdshooter
My PT1911 is my EDC. All the right features for a good price. The only thing I have/ am changing on it is the grips and putting a GI length guide rod in it. Both of those are more on the personal choice end of things.

Yeah those plastic grips actually cut my hand. Thus the pearce grip insert and the double diamond cocobolo.

Guest carbonarcher

I could be wrong and would stand corrected!

I have a Taurus 1911, yes great gun! I just wonder how well it will stand up to long term shooting! I guess I am a snob, being that I have Colt 1911's from the early '90's. They are built like a tank like the Springfields...

I have read that some of these RR 1911 may have soft steel frames.. I don't know if that is true, just that I can testify as to what I have.. I have looked at the "budget" 1911's also! I will save my pennies and purchase a tried and true name.

just my two cents.

I looked at both the RIA and AC, the AC appeared to have slightly better fit and finish over the RIA, but I was jumping from booth to booth and couldn't compare them side-by-side.

Dolomite is correct, the bluing is a bit thin, but for a range gun / EDC, I don't really care.

A big plus for the AC is Gander Mountain is a warranty center and the warranty is administered by Bersa / Eagle Imports.

I could have gone with either brand, but the reason I ended up with an AC is I wanted a Commander and there were no RIA Commanders at the show when I was ready to buy.

You get what you pay for, so get an STI.

In my opinion, there is no better 1911 in this price range than the STI Spartan. Increase your budget a bit, and the best stock 1911 for the money is the STI Trojan. Increase your budget beyond that, and go full custom - built from an STI frame & slide. Notice a pattern?

You get what you pay for, so get an STI.

In my opinion, there is no better 1911 in this price range than the STI Spartan. Increase your budget a bit, and the best stock 1911 for the money is the STI Trojan. Increase your budget beyond that, and go full custom - built from an STI frame & slide. Notice a pattern?

The STI Spartan is a RIA just with STI branding. The Spartan pistol have Armscor frames, slides and barrels. The pistols as a whole are made by RIA (Armscor) in the Phillipines then sent here. The STI internal parts are shipped to the Armscor plant then the guns are assembled then returned to the US for sale. The frames and slides of RIA (Armscor) guns including the STI Spartan are made from investment castings. They are not forged and this was in a STI press release.

They are the same except for a few STI internal parts and a few external differences. To me if I was going to buy a Spartan I would just buy the RIA and put the parts in myself and save a ton. Or better yet find a gun with a forged slide and frame and go from there.

Dolomite

The STI Spartan is a RIA just with STI branding. The Spartan pistol have Armscor frames, slides and barrels. The pistols as a whole are made by RIA (Armscor) in the Phillipines then sent here. The STI internal parts are shipped to the Armscor plant then the guns are assembled then returned to the US for sale. The frames and slides of RIA (Armscor) guns including the STI Spartan are made from investment castings. They are not forged and this was in a STI press release.

They are the same except for a few STI internal parts and a few external differences. To me if I was going to buy a Spartan I would just buy the RIA and put the parts in myself and save a ton. Or better yet find a gun with a forged slide and frame and go from there.

Dolomite

See what you mean, but not really...

You couldn't buy the extra stuff the Spartan has for the $200 difference, and even if you could you'd still need to install the stuff which takes some know-how with milling the slide for the Bo-Mar sight and fitting the bushing, shaping/cutting/polishing the sear and tweaking the sear spring, then fitting the better-shaped safety and cutting the superior shaped slide serrations (and adding forward serrations)... installing the trigger would be a breeze though.

Then there's the case to be made of having STI standing behind you vs. Armscor: Armscor CS is considered second-to-none, but STI's is practically legendary.

What has to be considered is the fact that regardless of what they cost RIA smiths are known to be really freakin' good, and only their best put together the Spartans for STI (and are putting a fair amount of soul into it if you've seen any of the reviews out there), then once in the USA an actual Texan who's seen some of the best 1911's in the world come across his or her bench does the final check and tune before it's shipped out and gets to you, that's what really makes them a bargain IMHO.

That said, if you don't have the extra $200 right now, then it's an easy decision.

That is me though.

I can fit the parts in a 1911 while most probably wouldn't attempt it. For someone who can't then yes the extra $200 is worth it but not me. The only part I would have to ship out would be the slide for the for the Bo-Mar cuts.

I currently have STI parts in a gun, quality stuff and yes there was fitting involved but that is something I do not mind doing.

Dolomite

That is me though.

I can fit the parts in a 1911 while most probably wouldn't attempt it. For someone who can't then yes the extra $200 is worth it but not me. The only part I would have to ship out would be the slide for the for the Bo-Mar cuts.

I currently have STI parts in a gun, quality stuff and yes there was fitting involved but that is something I do not mind doing.

Dolomite

This is what I'm going to do when I get another 1911. I haven't been to Bellshire Hardware in a while.

Some time after the 1st of the year that project will begin.

Guest tnxdshooter

I have a Taurus 1911, yes great gun! I just wonder how well it will stand up to long term shooting! I guess I am a snob, being that I have Colt 1911's from the early '90's. They are built like a tank like the Springfields...

I have read that some of these RR 1911 may have soft steel frames.. I don't know if that is true, just that I can testify as to what I have.. I have looked at the "budget" 1911's also! I will save my pennies and purchase a tried and true name.

just my two cents.

Each time I shoot I put about 300 rounds down range. My biggest thing with it is that I have a hard time putting the recoil spring and barrel bushing back in. The first few times I did it they shot across the room. Now it does not take nearly as long.

Guest tnxdshooter

just my two cents.

Dude the pt1911's are built on springfield dies LOL.

Well, I got to get my hands on an American Classic in the hard chrome finish today. I can say, I believe this has made my decision....really felt like a nice gun and just felt "right". Now....Anyone wanna donate to the "Get me a 1911 foundation"? :devil:

BTW, Do any of you guys with this gun(with the blued version) happen to have any pics of theirs after some use? I know a few of you mentioned you thought the blueing might be abit thin, just wondering how they look after abit of use?

Edited by Bubbatn
I really like my Taurus PT1911. Shoots great. Never had a problem with it. It's just a little over what you're looking to spend, but I'm giving it my vote.

Same here. Bought a PT1911 from a tgo'er in Murfreesboro, and it's been really good. But I didn't sell it when I got my TRP. I just hate to part with a good weapon when I get it.

You go playa. :P

Gonna clean it up with Turtle Wax?

It's not the "blingy" chrome....haha. Just basically looks like stainless, they don't offer a true stainless, so I figure this would be the next best thing. However still don't know for sure if i'll be able to swing the extra $$$ for the chrome, may still end up with the regular blued version...which would be fine too. :devil:

I'm waiting for an American Classic Commander in hard-chrome finish myself. Last I heard from Eagle Imports, they are expecting some in mid December so keep an eye out for them hitting the dealers about then. They are also releasing an officer's size version called the Amigo, 3.5" barrel, 7-shot magazine, which is expected to be available in late Jan or Feb of 2010.

http://www.americanclassic1911.com/amigo-model.html