Memphis Gunsmith Needed

Guest jcramin

Guest jcramin

Anyone know of a Gunsmith in Memphis ? Right now I just need some basic stuff like night sights installed and a custom front sight on my sons M1 fixed.

Thanks,

J

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Halfpint

Alfred or I can do those things at the shop, J.

Other than that, I usually recommend Bob Mason at Dowdle, but he has a 2+ month wait on the more involved work.

Guest jcramin

COOL so whats the best way to sight in a pistol after you add night sights ? Just go to the range and shoot and adjust ?

J

Alfred or I can do those things at the shop, J.

Other than that, I usually recommend Bob Mason at Dowdle, but he has a 2+ month wait on the more involved work.

Guest Halfpint

More often than not, when done right, they don't need much adjustment that I've seen--in all cases, not just from C/A--but yes, that's the way most people do it.

Guest MidTNShooter

I had to go to Memphis last year and G&A did some sight work for me just like the others stated. I have dove tail and watched. They tap-ed them into place. Use a mm ruler if you don't have a gauge. I'm not a 'smith, but on my Steyr (it mght not make a difference, but I'm statng it anyway) you tap them off from left to right (looking down the barrel from shooting psoition) and install the new ones the same direction. Again, I'm not a 'smith, but sight installation is simple. Bench rest the weapon and dail it in.

But then again, I would go to Guns and Ammo. They can put them on quickly.

MTS

*sigh*

I really do feel for you guys...and I've been in your situation. I have the knowledge to do most gunsmithing that I need..I just don't have the space...luckily my brother has a garage and an armorers' toolkit.

:D

I know--it's getting irritating finding somebody to do it; I need to get enough confidence to just do it myself. I know some people who use a simple vise instead of some of the sight tool gadgets; I'll try it someday.

I know--it's getting irritating finding somebody to do it; I need to get enough confidence to just do it myself. I know some people who use a simple vise instead of some of the sight tool gadgets; I'll try it someday.

if you use a vise, I suggest you get a nice patch of leather to wrap the gun in. DEER, I've seen your posts..you're not a dummy..I have confidence that you CAN do it..all it takes is a little bit of research, some tools and a little bit of your time.

Guest MidTNShooter

They shouldn't charge more than < $30.00 for a simple sight change. They have a light bill to pay for. I also second the leather or rubber and vise idea. Google a forum and see the best way to change out the sights. If you pay someone to change it, watch and learn. You'll hate yourself for paying for something so simple, but I didn't know that my dove tails were so specific. I paid $25.00 for about ten minutes of work, but I also paid for a lesson on that pistol. I have fiber front sights, ditched the rears. I might go with PTs in the future. My issue with night sights are the acquizition (F7 for the PC geeks) of the target at night. I have a 12 gauge for the house and a pistol during the day. I'm not a LEO so nights don't help. Good luck!

MTS