Looking to shoot a rifle in Memphis area

Guest Roatch

Hey all,

Well a friend of mine recently purchased a WWII era russian rifle, the Mosin Nagant. However we can't find a range to fire it at, all the ranges here are pistol and shotgun only. We're looking for a friendly person willing to let us fire it on their land, of course we're willing to pay a reasonable fee. Just post here or send me a private message, thanks :devil:

p.s. not sure if there is a better forum to post on, if so let me know and I'll repost

Edited by Roatch
  • Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the info, problem is when I googled them their webiste is down, and the number that's listed doesn't work, do you know a number I can call?

Guest Revelator

You don't want to shoot a Mosin on a 25 yard indoor range anyway. That's like driving a '69 Pontiac GTO around the cul de sac. You need a place where you can really let 'er out. You need to know someone who has some land. Until I have my own little homestead I know that my two Mosins and my Swiss K31 aren't going to see much action, so I'll just have to keep them locked up until then, waiting patiently.

... Until I have my own little homestead I know that my two Mosins and my Swiss K31 aren't going to see much action, so I'll just have to keep them locked up until then, waiting patiently.

There's not ONE outdoor public range in all of Shelby County or the adjoining ones?

- OS

There's not ONE outdoor public range in all of Shelby County or the adjoining ones?

- OS

Nope. There was once a range at the Penal Farm (now Shelby Farms) but it closed years ago. Memphis people are screwed when it comes to outdoor, distance shooting. Either you know someone with land or pay MSSA their fee.

It's really ridiculous.

Nope. There was once a range at the Penal Farm (now Shelby Farms) but it closed years ago. Memphis people are screwed when it comes to outdoor, distance shooting. Either you know someone with land or pay MSSA their fee.

It's really ridiculous.

Really is. That may be the biggest expanse of square miles in the state without a public fee place to shoot at least 100 yards.

- OS

Guest Dean Wormer

I know, I have been really missing shooting my centerfire rifles... no wonder MSSA can charge very high fees...

seems like some opprotunistic person would buy some land in the adjacent county and open a public rifle range... 100yds is all I need

I don't think land is the problem down there. There are plenty of wide open spaces as flat as it is and that just might be the problem. You'd have to build a massive earthen back-stop and even then the chances of a bullet going over that and easily travelling over a mile are probably too great for most to take on the liability (I hate that word).

Either that or no one with the gumption has ever tried.

It really is pretty ridiculous that there is not a public range around M-town. The shelby farms range wasn't anything special but is was there. Had a shotgun area also. Unfortunately it was closed due to 'budgetary constraints' .... A.K.A the shelby farms conservancy people wanted the guns out of 'Their' park.

You don't want to shoot a Mosin on a 25 yard indoor range anyway. That's like driving a '69 Pontiac GTO around the cul de sac. You need a place where you can really let 'er out. You need to know someone who has some land. Until I have my own little homestead I know that my two Mosins and my Swiss K31 aren't going to see much action, so I'll just have to keep them locked up until then, waiting patiently.

Reminds me of something I saw on a Mosin board earlier this week, talking about early "collector's mistakes":

Oh, suppose I should mention my day at an indoor range.

The indoor range is only 25 yards & they said I could shoot my M39 there.

First & only shot was so loud from ECHO that the vibration off the cement walls caused the overhead flourescent light tubes to explode.

I never in my life felt so embarrassed, lol but do think it was funny even though I'm not allowed to ever bring my M39 there ever again, lol

GTO in the cul de sac, or egg in the microwave?

The person that builds a public rifle range in the Memphis area should be able to make a nice profit. Some of you guys with deep pockets need to step up.;)

Please help this guy out. He really doesn't want to sell all his rifles:D

I joined MSSA and I don't regret it. I just wish it was cheaper so that more people my age could join. I hate shooting out there with just a bunch of old people. No offense to our older posters but I want to meet more people around my age into the same things.

Guest IceBreakerG
Sportsmans Choice has closed again. That sucks big time. If I have not joined MSSA by june I am selling off all of my rifles.

When did this happen? Me and a friend were planning on going there next weekend. If they closed, that really sucks :tinfoil:

I joined MSSA and I don't regret it. I just wish it was cheaper so that more people my age could join. I hate shooting out there with just a bunch of old people. No offense to our older posters but I want to meet more people around my age into the same things.

I'm the same way. I haven't joined MSSA yet, but I'm definitely considering it next year, just haven't decided when yet. But I need a place to shoot my AR, and they're only about 10-15mins from where I live.

When did this happen? Me and a friend were planning on going there next weekend. If they closed, that really sucks :tinfoil:

I'm the same way. I haven't joined MSSA yet, but I'm definitely considering it next year, just haven't decided when yet. But I need a place to shoot my AR, and they're only about 10-15mins from where I live.

I was preparing to take my 6.8 rifle up to zero when I found out the phone was off and the website closed.