How about some Sig P239 input

eastenn

Like the title says, those who have had one what are your thoughts? My friend had a da/sa in 40 for a short time period and I got to shoot it a few times and really liked it. I would really like to hear what you say about the DAK as that's what I'm leaning toward now but haven't had the opportunity to shoot one. Also, some pics would be great.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest TN.Frank

I had one about 10 years ago in 40cal, not a huge fan of 40 S&W but the gun was really nice. Had that nice, smooth DA Sig trigger and a great SA trigger after the first shot. Looks like the prices have gone up a lot on em'. Wish I still had mine or better yet my favorite pistol of all time the P228. Someday maybe.

My wife has one in 9mm. It's a very accurate weapon, and she likes it. It is small, thin, and relatively light.

But I don't much care for it. To me, the ergonomics are all wrong. The grip angle feels wierd, it doesn't point instinctively (for me), the lack of a a hammer spur is annoying, and I do not like de-cockers instead of safeties. Without a hammer spur, it means that you have to trust the firing pin block when de-cocking the weapon. On my P38 and S&W 39, I prefer to ease the hammer down as I activate the de-cocker. You cannot do that with the P239.

I have yet to meet a double-action-only pistol I cared about. I prefer the choice of being able to aim carefully with a single-action trigger. I prefer a single-action-only pistoil to one with only double-action.

All of that is subjective. Go shoot one for yourself. If you like it, get it.

My EDC is a 239 in .40. I've also got one in 9mm. Both of mine are DA/SA. I greatly prefer the DA/SA action - maybe because I got started shooting with DA S&W wheelguns. Find someone with one and shoot it. You'll find out quickly if you like it or not.

I like the 239 due to it being slim and easy to conceal. I carry both OWB and IWB. The 239 is easy to carry IWB due to the slimness (the gun, unfortunately not me). The downside is they are relatively heavy and won't hold a ton of ammo. I carry backup mags in case I ever get in a scenario where I need more than 8 rounds.

I've onwed a 9mm 239 in the past. It was one of the most accurate pistols I had at the time. I was always suprised how well it shot for a smaller sized pistol. The DAK trigger system is great IF you take the time to train, practice and learn it. If you purchase a DAK and carry it exclusively I say go for it but if you have a number of different guns (as in different action types like DA/SA, SA, striker fired) I wouldn't buy the DAK. When I had my DAK 229 I also carried a DA/SA 229 and a Glock and the different trigger set-ups didn't jive to well together. When I focused soley on th DAK I loved it and became more effective with it. YMMV. With that said, here's some food for thought. The 239 is bigger and heavier than comparable guns in its category. Look at a Glock 19, about the same size roughly but holds almost twice as many 9mm rounds as a 239 9mm. The 239 vs. a 229 is roughly the same size as well but the 239 is definently thinner but loses capacity. Try to get out and shoot one, they're a great pistol if it meets your needs.

I had one for a short time a few years back. Like all Sig handguns I have owned, it was top quality and very accurate. My complaint was the size. It's a really big pistol considering it only has the single stack mag. I found that the P229 was only slightly larger and you got almost twice as many rounds.

Like I said in the original post I have shot one in da/sa and liked shooting it in da better than sa, which is why I think I would like the DAK. I have the sig pro in 9mm and it has a 4" barrel and 15 rd capacity so as far as sigs go, if I purchase another it will likely be the 239 instead of 229 (though I do like them). The sig pro carries well and I like it, but just looking for something a little simpler. The 239 doesn't have a rail, dak doesn't have a decocker, its a little slimmer and I like the slide melt if I can find one in dak. As far as round capacity, I carry my 38 around with 5 rounds and that doesn't bother me, so 8 rounds of .40 wouldn't either. Thanks for all the feedback everyone, I think it is just a matter of time (more like money).

Guest malbolja

I have a 239/.40. It's my summertime EDC (Milt Sparks VMII). I carry a 229/.40 when I'm wearing more clothes. While the measurements of the 229 don't look much bigger, the 239 is much easier to conceal due to the thinner, shorter grip. However, the thinnes of the grip is a problem for a lot of people, including me. The factory grips don't provide enough purchase IMO. Many people don't like the flat front strap of the 239 and the Hogue rubber finger groove grips correct both of these issues nicely and feel great in the hand but are a bit too tacky and catch on clothes. Mine wears Nill grips, the shape fills my hand nicely and the checkering is just right. I also added a piece of grip tape over the front strap. I would estimate that I have a few thousand rounds through my 239 and have never had any issue with reliability or accuracy.

I have a 239/.40. It's my summertime EDC (Milt Sparks VMII). I carry a 229/.40 when I'm wearing more clothes. While the measurements of the 229 don't look much bigger, the 239 is much easier to conceal due to the thinner, shorter grip. However, the thinnes of the grip is a problem for a lot of people, including me. The factory grips don't provide enough purchase IMO. Many people don't like the flat front strap of the 239 and the Hogue rubber finger groove grips correct both of these issues nicely and feel great in the hand but are a bit too tacky and catch on clothes. Mine wears Nill grips, the shape fills my hand nicely and the checkering is just right. I also added a piece of grip tape over the front strap. I would estimate that I have a few thousand rounds through my 239 and have never had any issue with reliability or accuracy.

That seems like the general concensus over on sigforum.com although I can't join over there for some reason I never get the activation e-mail. I'm surprised at how many people on TGO have or have had a p239, a search only brought up around 10 threads with p239 in the title. Glad to hear the positive feedback on it though.

Guest sneakboxer

I carry a 40cal SIG 229 DAK daily. It is a quality pistol and i have had zero failures with over 1500 rounds down range. The DAK system is different but with training and practice it is a good trigger. The 239 is a sweet looking pistol but the 229 is only a tad bigger and holds 12 rounds. If your in the Henry CO area shot me a PM and we could make some noise with it.

Best of luck,

I carry a 40cal SIG 229 DAK daily. It is a quality pistol and i have had zero failures with over 1500 rounds down range. The DAK system is different but with training and practice it is a good trigger. The 239 is a sweet looking pistol but the 229 is only a tad bigger and holds 12 rounds. If your in the Henry CO area shot me a PM and we could make some noise with it.

Best of luck,

Though I would like to try the DAK it looks like your on the other side of the state, appreciate the offer though.

Guest Hillbilly Dan

I had one in .40 for short while. Great gun, but I did not like the double action only treatment. I have several Sigs and took this one on a debt someone had with me. It shot well also. This one had one of the short reach triggers and that was nice with small hands. A lady had owned it. I thought it lived up to the other 5 Sig's that I own including a 229, 226e,220,228 and The Sig 556 Classic.

I would like to say that Sig is one of the manufactors who do things the right way. They also have a great Customer Service group. Check out the Sig Forum and you can find out a lot more info.

Hillbilly Dan

I had one in .40 for short while. Great gun, but I did not like the double action only treatment. I have several Sigs and took this one on a debt someone had with me. It shot well also. This one had one of the short reach triggers and that was nice with small hands. A lady had owned it. I thought it lived up to the other 5 Sig's that I own including a 229, 226e,220,228 and The Sig 556 Classic.

I would like to say that Sig is one of the manufactors who do things the right way. They also have a great Customer Service group. Check out the Sig Forum and you can find out a lot more info.

Hillbilly Dan

I have done a lot of reading over there. I can't seem to join up because their activation e-mail never reaches me therefore I can't use the search function on that forum, but I have went through the first 20 some pages of "Sig pistols" and read all the threads with p239 in the title.

That seems like the general concensus over on sigforum.com although I can't join over there for some reason I never get the activation e-mail.

webmaster@sigforum.com

Eastenn, why not e-mail the administrators directly. Same thing happened to me and they fixed it.

BTW my next purchase will be a 239 in 9mm. Will be my 5th Sig, all DA/SA. Want to keep my manual of arms standard. Good luck!