Can you over oil an AR?

Guest KCSTEVE

Guest KCSTEVE

Is it possible to over oil the AR rifle? I'm not talking about pouring motor oil down the barrel. What I mean is "What is too much oil?" under normal maintenance circumstances.

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think so, but if you think you might be over doing it a bit, just let it drain for a while.

Make sure the bolt carrier is wet, just a drop or two on everything that moves on the lower.

I should have said the wearing edges of the bolt carrier and a drop or two where the bolt goes

into the bolt carrier. It doesn't have to be sloppy wet, only where metal touches metal, but

things will work better always having a little

Yes, and too many people over oil/lube their ARs causing failures of all sorts. The key, as mentioned above, is to lightly lubricate the bolt. A drop of oil, maybe two.

...Run it wet or use grease. Either works....

All:_____________

When you use grease on the bolt and carrier; do you grease the sliding surfaces AND the bolt lugs?

Do you use a couple of drops of oil on the gas rings?

Leroy

All:_____________

When you use grease on the bolt and carrier; do you grease the sliding surfaces AND the bolt lugs?

Do you use a couple of drops of oil on the gas rings?

Leroy

Yes, lube all sliding (shiny) surfaces, including the bolt lugs. I don't put lube on the rings on purpose but it a little ends up there it's no big deal. Some people do though.

I think there may be a "how to" photo gallery detailing the proper lubrication for an AR-15 on the Coal Creek Armory Facebook page.

• Administrator

I think there may be a "how to" photo gallery detailing the proper lubrication for an AR-15 on the Coal Creek Armory Facebook page.

You spend enough time plugging your shop, it's amazing the Vendors who are currently supporting the site aren't pissed.

Here's a good link on proper lubrication of an AR-15... and it's not on CCA's facebook page.

Educational Zone #49 - Cleaning & Lubricating an AR15 Rifle - Page 1

Thanks David. I like the "Box o Truth" tutorial. Has anyone used synthetic motor oil (...5w - 20...) to lube the gas rings? I'm thinkin about using it (...been using regular synthetic gun oil, like the Educational Zone instructons say...) and using a synthetic grease (...like Slip2000...) for the bolt lugs and bolt carrier sliding surfaces. The thought is to keep the lube where it belongs and keep it on there longer with the grease. The thought with the synthetic motor oil is to simply try it out; there aint a harsher enviornment for oil than the rings and cylinder walls on an internal combustion engine.

Whadda ya think?

Leroy

Edited by leroy
punctuation!!!
Guest GunTroll

I think I remember a few RSO's in the Army who could have used the above link(s) on proper oiling of the AR platform. Nothing better than stepping up to get your barrel rodded before entering the firing line and getting an upper receiver full of good ole CLP sprayed directly from a squirt bottle. My eyes burn just thinking of it now. Even with eye pro. :rolleyes: