Handgun carry on T.N. lakes?

gl19gobang

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Current TVA regulations do prohibit firearms on TVA lakes and property, which includes boat ramps. From my limited understanding, the TVA founding documents place TVA regulations superior to State law. There was/is a petition circulating and an effort being made to change the TVA regs to be consistent with the new Federal Park laws regarding weapons.

Guest TargetShooter84
Why did you put a (.) between the T and N???

Lol didn't notice that one....good job spotting that.

I'd say you're better off to leave your gun in the car while boating.

I kept a gun in boat fishing ever since I was 16, both on Watts Bar where I grew up and down in Keys, the two places I've done the most fishing in my life.

Ironically, I've not actually been fishing since I got my HCP.

It's sort of unsettling fishing all night out on a big lake or miles offshore in the ocean ... unarmed, anyway.

- OS

Lol didn't notice that one....good job spotting that.

Its against TVA regulations to even have one in your car at the ramp.Also boat ramps are the worst places for getting broke into. AL

Guest sneakboxer

I'm confused. No firearms at all on TVA land or water?? Well there is a bunch of law breaking duck and deer hunters here on KY lake. I stopped at the state park and asked about launching my duck boat and the (armed) park ranger said that i could launch a boat with a cased shotgun and carry my pistol IAW my permit.

I'm thinking that TVA has the authority to ban guns but they haven't in all places. Why do gun laws have to be such a confusing pain in the bottom?

...Why do gun laws have to be such a confusing pain in the bottom?

Ultimately, because "they" don't want "us" to have guns, because guns are the only means "we" ultimately have to overthrow "them". So what little gun freedom we enjoy has been grudgingly given back up over time after it having been mostly taken away, and so we have a patchwork of gun laws.

As far as TVA, except for inside actual dam reservation land, I don't know that I've ever seen a TVA "leo". Seems, if you referenced the long thread links early in this thread, that TVA cedes enforcement of most of it's lands to TWRA, and they tend to run it by their rules.

Anyway, when's the last time you heard of TVA/TWRA/USACE arresting anyone putting a boat in for packing heat? Like that.

Concealed carry answers a huge multitude of questions.

- OS

Guest tngw1500se

I carry mine every time I am on the water. I always have it on me everyplace I go except the post office. Then I leave it in the car to get stolen. THAT'S THE LAW!

• 4 months later...

Honestly, and I dont want to rain on some of the posters that have contributed to this discussion... but the TVA thing has NOTHING to do with it. You can carry on a lake or waterway here in Tennessee. We address this to death on this thread a few years ago, and I proved the point.

http://www.tngunowners.com/forums/handgun-carry-self-defense/8209-carry-tva-lake.html

Its a long thread, with lots to sift thru but worth the read if you really want to know the truth.

Being an Instructor for the State and being an avid fisherman I address this back in the late 90's. It took about 7 years to finally get everyone on the State and Federal level on the same page. Heres a letter from the Tn Dept. of Safety mentioning a letter from the then TWRA Director addressing my question in 2004 after getting clearence from their legal Dept. and the powers above them.

Please feel free to copy and print this and keep it in your boat, this way if your polite and you show it to whomever might stop you... most likely TWRA. I dont see how they couldnt agree that your good to go, if they disagree they still should let you go since there isnt any criminal intent is no "criminal" intent involved. How much better can you get it as to have a letter from the guys boss that pulls you over saying your in complete complience with the law. The USACE relinguishes their law enforcment powers on all lakes and rivers to the U.S. Coast Guard whom then empowers the State Law Enforcement Agencies. The USCG follows each States laws concerning firearms on vessals. So no matter which one stops you, your good to go. This letter should also be good to go on any boat ramp with a USACE easment to the water, includeing one in a city or municipal park that wont allow carry with a permit.

twraletter.jpg

Edited by GLOCKMEISTER