Thinking about Ham?

Are you thinking of going to the class or studying on your own? I just took a practice test and some of my military commo training kicked. I scored 60% without ever opening a book.

I'm considering the class. I really don't know much at all about ham except for what I see on TV/movies, which does look pretty useful and interesting. I guess it's like most hobbies. It's easier to get into it if you know someone that's in it and can catch the bug from them after seeing how cool it is. I just don't know anyone who's into it. I guess the class is as good of a way as any to meet someone in it. Otherwise, anyone in the Nashville area willing to give a tour of their setup to some guy from the Internet (me)? :shrug:

Edited by monkeylizard
Guest uofmeet
I'm considering the class. I really don't know much at all about ham except for what I see on TV/movies, which does look pretty useful and interesting. I guess it's like most hobbies. It's easier to get into it if you know someone that's in it and can catch the bug from them after seeing how cool it is. I just don't know anyone who's into it. I guess the class is as good of a way as any to meet someone in it. Otherwise, anyone in the Nashville area willing to give a tour of their setup to some guy from the Internet (me)? :)

You can also go here Search for ARRL Affiliated Clubs to find a club in your area and show up and start asking questions. I didn't know much about it when I first got my license. Didn't know anyone in it, except the teacher that told me about it. Took the test and started going to meetings. it was another 3 months til i got my first radio. And now I have made a lot of new friends and aquanauts since then.

You can always go get you license. Don't have to get a radio right away. If you like it, you can get into more what part that you like about it. License is good for 10 years before you have to renew.

I was into it years ago, but never got my license because of the code requirement. Have they totally done away with that?

I just took my tower down last year. Amateur radio is expensive. With my Guns and Photography hobbies I’m not sure I want to spend the money to get back into it.:)

I can see where guns, photography AND amateur radio would be a burden - I've tried them all simultaneously. I didn't have enough money nor time to give each the attention they deserved.

I agree that missing a class here or there shouldn't affect your ability to pass the test - just pay attention and maybe do a little studying on your own. The only time I took a class, I took the test at a hamfest and passed before the class was over.

For my first two licenses there weren't any classes, question pools or practice exams available, and you missed a day of work to go down to the FCC office.

. . . and we had to walk, 10 miles there and 20 miles back, uphill both directions, but we were Thankful!! oldman.gif

Nope, code is completely gone...as far as testing....there are still many people that do it. But no longer required for testing.

Yep. Reduced the 20wpm requirement for extra to only 5wpm about a month after I got my extra. Then, they turned around and got rid of it altogether. :lol::confused:

I didn't mind, though. Anything that gets more people interested and more active in the hobby has to be good, right?

• 4 weeks later...
Honestly, the easiest way to do this is to pick up one of the self-study books and then check out HamTestOnlineâ„¢ - Ham Radio Exam Courses for study aid if you need it. The first test is very, very easy to pass.

Normally I would agree with David... However, for me... I have picked up the book a dozen times and had something interrupt me. Only to pick it up a week or two later and have to re-read what I read. I think the class is great for people like me: very little exposure to radios, frequency, amps, volts, radio waves, etc and who really need a place to go and a specific time set to learn about it... AWAY FROM HOME!! Hahaha!!! :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

x2, I have been trying to study for the Extra for over a year now and keep getting interrupted studying. That and the fact that I have to re-learn a lot of the mathmatics that I have forgotten. I went through 2 versions of the technican books because of it but luckly I have another year and a half before I have to get another Extra book. :)

For some reason I keep having nightmares of being eaten by capacitors and inductors. :lol:

• 1 month later...

N4RXS......Well, I had an extra class and let it expire by accident! (yep, code and all) I also have an FCC First Class RadioTelephone with a radar endorsement. The FCC first Class does not expire but the Ham Extra does. I must have had it in my head back then that neither expired :censored:. I need to get off my gluts and retest. I was only active on 2 meters but it seemed that the 2 meter guys went cellphone as I did. Wouldn't take a lot of effort since I have a degree in electrical/electronic engineering but.....but.....OK, I've gotten a little lazy too :rolleyes:.

• 2 months later...
Guest UberDuper

I've decided to head down this road. I'm a bit of a nerd and have a few friends around the country doing it. Plus, I'm new around here and figure I can meet some interesting people while I'm at it. I've got a couple guides from KB6NU for Tech and General.

I think my initial interests are going to be 20m SSB. So what I'm looking for is a cheap way to get into that. I've checked some online ham specific classifieds for used gear and haven't found anything reasonable. Who knew transceivers were made of solid gold? Craigslist has been useless as well. I don't have enough time on a soldering iron to jump into a qrp kit tho that might end up being my only option. I have no interest in VHF or UHF so a cheap HT isn't going to be of much use.

Any suggestions?

I've decided to head down this road. I'm a bit of a nerd and have a few friends around the country doing it. Plus, I'm new around here and figure I can meet some interesting people while I'm at it. I've got a couple guides from KB6NU for Tech and General.

I think my initial interests are going to be 20m SSB. So what I'm looking for is a cheap way to get into that. I've checked some online ham specific classifieds for used gear and haven't found anything reasonable. Who knew transceivers were made of solid gold? Craigslist has been useless as well. I don't have enough time on a soldering iron to jump into a qrp kit tho that might end up being my only option. I have no interest in VHF or UHF so a cheap HT isn't going to be of much use.

Any suggestions?

Start working on the Tech and General tests and look for a ham club in your area. Someone will probably know of some reasonable priced equipment. You'll probably need to find a power supply, antenna, antenna tuner and other equipment in addition to a HF transceiver.