Thinking about Ham?

Guest uofmeet

Test are not that hard. And code is no longer required. And Speaking of ham, This weekend is like the biggest weekend for ham radio. It is field day. Field Day Many clubs and individuals participate to make as many contacts as possible in a 24 hour period. One of the best parts for non hams, most places have a GOTA station, or Get On The Air station where anyone can operate and see what it is like and no license is required. So if anyone is interested, you can go to Field Day Station Locator to find a place near you to go and check it out.

Wow... I might have to take a look at it and see if I can study enough to struggle through. I do not learn from studying test booklets and that's how it was presented to me in the past. I learn through reason and doing, and would love to know more about it. Thanks!

Wow... I might have to take a look at it and see if I can study enough to struggle through. I do not learn from studying test booklets and that's how it was presented to me in the past. I learn through reason and doing, and would love to know more about it. Thanks!

Please pursue it! It is a wonderful hobby that can be as cheap or expensive as your budget allows. You'll meet great people, learn new skills, and generally just have fun!

I think it is important to keep the hobby alive in this era of Internet and cell phones.

Guest UberDuper

It seems that the way this works is you get your license before you learn anything. Maybe half the questions on the tech test actually pertain to anything you'd ever care about. If you went out and got a bunch of practical hands on knowledge of amateur radio operation, you would probably fail the tech test.

The tech test at least, and I presume the general as well just requires memorizing asinine facts. I found a couple books that help do this: Two Self-Study Guides -KB6NU's Ham Radio Blog The tech one is about 50 pages and the general about 70. They're pretty easy to get through. Periodically put the book down and take a couple of the practice tests here QRZ.COM QRZ Ham Radio Practice Tests That'll help reinforce the memorization of these factoids.

Tech doesn't get me into the band I care about so I'm trying to do tech and general at the same time.

Guest uofmeet

Tech and General cover a lot of the same stuff. Just remember the rules and regs. And for people studying general, the question pool for general is changing at the end of the month.

Guest UberDuper

Yeah the link to the study guides I posed has an updated one for the new general test. General definitely looks harder in that I'm going to have to memorize some equations and do a little math during the test rather then try to remember all the answers to the math questions.

Until about two weeks ago I never really gave a lot of thought to ham radio. I read some posts on another forum about ham radio and how useful it can be during times that other means if communication are down and it sparked my interest. Not knowing anyone involved on amateur radio I decided to do a google search and ended up finding QRZ.com. After studying the Tech test a little while I noticed that I could take the test in Olive Branch, MS. at the Olive Branch Amateur Radio Club monthly meeting. I hope I am in town this weekend so I can check out Field Day, so far the few Hams I have met seem to be a lot like people involved in shooting sports in the sense that they are very excited about their hobby and very willing to help a newbie.

Guest Oldyardog

I got the study guide for the Tech license but can't seem to stick to it long enough at one time. If any one knows of a class within 50 miles of Dickson I would love to get in it. Plan on trying to visit a club this weekend for field day. Seem like the Dickson club is out of business. Tried to contact them and never got a response.

Larry B.

I got the study guide for the Tech license but can't seem to stick to it long enough at one time.

I never had much luck with the printed manuals. I used some study software that asked questions from the question pool then explained the answers.

Unfortunately I don't remember the name of the specific software. That was back in '98 or so. However, I'm sure there are even more software packages out there nowadays. Might be worth looking into if you struggle with the book.

Guest WyattEarp

I will be looking into my HAM radio license this fall/winter. I'm a storm chaser, so it would definitely make it easier for me to communicate with other chasers and spotters while out in the field.

Thanks for sharing the links!

Guest uofmeet
Until about two weeks ago I never really gave a lot of thought to ham radio. I read some posts on another forum about ham radio and how useful it can be during times that other means if communication are down and it sparked my interest. Not knowing anyone involved on amateur radio I decided to do a google search and ended up finding QRZ.com. After studying the Tech test a little while I noticed that I could take the test in Olive Branch, MS. at the Olive Branch Amateur Radio Club monthly meeting. I hope I am in town this weekend so I can check out Field Day, so far the few Hams I have met seem to be a lot like people involved in shooting sports in the sense that they are very excited about their hobby and very willing to help a newbie.

The delta club also does monthly testing on the second tuesday of the month at the elendale church of christ on HWY 70 and the three local memphis clubs will be at Cox park in collierville this weekend.

The delta club also does monthly testing on the second tuesday of the month at the elendale church of christ on HWY 70 and the three local memphis clubs will be at Cox park in collierville this weekend.

I am going to try to get out there this weekend. I work for the railroad so I have a crazy schedule to say the least but if I don't get stuck in Birmingham, Al. I look forward to attending.

ARRL has a License Manual for $25 which explains the theory and rules along with practice tests. Most areas have ham clubs which will have classes to prepare you for the exams.