Thinking about Ham?

Guest TackleberryTom

TGO David is right, one of the best places to learn is at HamTestOnline™ - Ham Radio Exam Courses . I have been a Tech class since some time in the 90's. It is great. The Nashville area has some great repeaters. I am surprised that this discussion does not come up more often. Most of the guys I talked to regularly on the .67 were all gun guys and we got together for range time a few times. Our favorite topic of conversation was guns too. I hope you all get your licenses and get on the air.I highly recommend getting a 2 meter radio first. Many repeaters all over the place. Lots of pople to talk to and learn more of the hobby. KF4UEZ here BTW

This thread encouraged me to get back in the hobby. Picked up a Yaesu 2m rig, coax, antenna, and such for the truck. Probably work on the install over the weekend and get back on the air.

Shouldn't be long now before I can get on the air myself. Last night I ordered a Yaesu FT 2900R and a Comet NMO Mount Antenna for my truck. I think pretty soon I am going to have to order one of the Wouxun HT's usually I try to stay away from Chinese made as much as possible but from the ones I know of several people that have these and they seem to be a lot of radio for the price.

I am also planning on testing for my General at the monthly meeting this month. I wish now that I had prepared to take the General at the same time I took Technician but it just didn't work out that way. Also I am planning on going to the Huntsville Hamfest Aug. 20 & 21 if I can work it into my schedule.

KK4CWV

Guest uofmeet

Well, if you are going next tuesday night to the delta club testing, i will see you their. Also, the delta club is getting a bus for the huntsville trip. me and my better half will be going.

Shouldn't be long now before I can get on the air myself. Last night I ordered a Yaesu FT 2900R

I bought its cheaper cousin, the FT-1900R and a Hustler SF-2 5/8 wave 2m antenna.

I ordered a Breedlove stake pocket mount for my Tundra. Just waiting on it in order to do my install.

• Administrator

I've been considering a stake pocket mount for my truck, but using one would require me to cut a hole in the plastic trim cap that runs the full length of my bed rail. I need to price the replacement for that before I decide to cut or not.

Well, if you are going next tuesday night to the delta club testing, i will see you their. Also, the delta club is getting a bus for the huntsville trip. me and my better half will be going.
I don't know if I will be going to Delta testing or Olive Branch. Working for the railroad I am on call all the time so I have trouble scheduling anything. I hope I will be able to make the trip to Huntsville.
I've been considering a stake pocket mount for my truck, but using one would require me to cut a hole in the plastic trim cap that runs the full length of my bed rail. I need to price the replacement for that before I decide to cut or not.

Does the plastic trim cap not have little caps over the stake pocket? I have an over-the-rail bedliner (factory Toyota) and it includes little plastic covers that cover the stake pockets. A quick flip up with a screwdriver was all that was required to remove one. The mount I used (made by Jerry Breedlove in NC) is extremely strong and made installation very easy. The other stake pocket mounts I've seen just don't compare quality-wise. If you decide to go that route, I highly recommend you check out his work. The Radio Shack mounts are cheaper, but Jerry's mounts are 2x as thick and look darn near indestructible.

I almost completed my install today. The radio is installed, power cables are ran out to the battery (but not yet connected), antenna is mounted, and the coax is fed to the radio. I just need to slap on a PL259 connector and pick up a couple of ring terminals to hook up the power/ground.

Toyota was kind enough to include several rubber grommets on the underside of the truck perfect for poking a hole in and feeding coax through. I ran the cable up one that comes up under the carpet in the rear, fed it forward to under the front passenger seat, and then under the console edge to the center hump where the radio is sitting.

Running the coax was literally a 10 minute job, including securing it to the frame with zip ties.

I'll probably also get some split wire-loom to cover the power/ground cables under the hood.

Oh, I used a Workman C520 Saw Tooth "hump mount" to stick the radio on. I at least wanted to try one to avoid drilling holes to mount the radio. I was concerned that it might tip over or otherwise not stay put. I went to the range today, which involves the use of 4WD and quite a bit of bouncing off rocks. The radio never moved from where I had it sitting. I think it will work out fine for now. It also makes removing the radio as simple as unplugging the power/antenna and lifting the entire unit out of the truck.

I'll try to get some pics of my completed install tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Guest UberDuper

Passed tech and general today.

They convinced me to take the extra test and they couldn't tell me my score but said I did very well. Not bad for guessing I suppose.

Now to find the worlds cheapest HF radio.

I have a Puxing 888 and a Yaesu FT-60. The Yaesu was about $240 and the Puxing was $80 shipped straight from China. They seem to work about the same. The Puxing has a larger screen with more lines of info, but the menu is easier to remember on the Yaesu. Congrats!

They convinced me to take the extra test and they couldn't tell me my score but said I did very well. Not bad for guessing I suppose.

Congrats!!:confused:

Congrats!

KJ4WOU

• Administrator

Congrats! There is a lot of chatter on the local 2m repeaters, especially in the morning. Check Heart Of Tennessee ARES for some of the local repeater listings.

Here's some info on a used rig that I just received via email:

TEN TEC PARAGON FOR SALE

2.4, 1.8 .500, AND .250 FILTERS

GEIL CHIP AND HAND MICROPHONE

MANUAL AND POWER CORD

ALL NEW DUAL POT CONTROLS ON FRONT OF RADIO

ALL DOCUMENTED REPAIRS AT TEN TEC

ALSO INCLUDED WITH THE RADIO IS A BUX COM ;COMPUTER PSK RTTY OR DIGITAL PROGRAM

INTERFACE.

100% EXCELLENT OPERATING CONDITION........$450.00

HEIL FOOTSWITCH FOR SALE........$20.00

CONTACT EVAN RAY, WA4PNI 423-506-9614 CELL or wa4pni@comcast.net

UPS delivered my Yaesu FT 2900R today. I couldn't stand looking at it just sitting there in the box so I got out in this terrible heat and installed it in my truck. My next mobile radio install will most definitely be in the spring, winter or fall.

Got everything installed, tested radio, and it would not transmit. My soldering job was the problem. Had to do it over. All seems to be well now. I am very pleased with the install since I am a new Ham and everything seems to be working fine now, especially happy that my roof is not leaking after installing the Larsen NMO Hard Mount.

KK4CWV

Guest UberDuper

Any recommendations for learning CW? I've read about Koch and Farnsworth methodology and I'm pretty much using that right now. I'm not sure what I'm going to use to practice sending tho. I'd prefer to learn on an iambic paddle. Need to find something I can hook up to the computer to use with some of this software.

Any tips for easing this process would be appreciated.

No call sign yet. ;) Not that I could do anything with it yet. KK4DCF!

Edited by UberDuper

In my humble opinion you need to learn to send with a straight key first and paddles second. If and when the SHTF, straight key skills are more easily adaptable to a low-tech environment.

Don't know anything about connecting a key to a computer. Personal computers didn't exist when I learned (sad, ain't it?). I built a code oscillator and borrowed a J-38 key to learn to send. It's still possible to do.

Congratulations on the new call. They don't take long to arrive these days. Mine came by Pony Express.

I now have in my possession a CSCE for General Class!;) I just got into Amateur Radio last month. Took my Tech. Exam just before Field Day. Not knowing anything at all about Ham radio I never even thought about studying for General and taking it at the same time I tested for Tech.

I now have in my possession a CSCE for General Class!:eek: I just got into Amateur Radio last month. Took my Tech. Exam just before Field Day. Not knowing anything at all about Ham radio I never even thought about studying for General and taking it at the same time I tested for Tech.

Congrats on the General! I passed the Tech last summer, General a few months ago, and ordered the manual for Extra a few days ago.