5.11 clothing?

Ok guys...I may be changing jobs soon...and jeans are gonna be a thing of the past. And, I'll have to start tucking my shirt in again.

Is 5.11 clothing acceptable for business casual wear?

Is the clothing COMFORTABLE?

Wash well?

Ironing?

Cold weather? Hot weather?

Etc. etc. etc?????

Please give me your honest opinions....thanks.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator

Yes to all questions. I typically wear either 5.11 Tactical BDU pants or 5.11 Covert Carry pants at work and most folks just write them off as cargo pants / khakis. I never bother with ironing mine. Washer to dryer to hanger. They hold up REALLY well and have lots of useful pockets for cell phones, wallet, pocket knife, etc.

I got tired of Dockers or LL Bean khakis tearing up easily, so I switched to wearing my 5.11 pants and haven't looked back since. Carhartt makes some of their dungaree pants in different colors that blend in well at the office also.

I'm usually in a pair of 5.11s or Woolrich Elite pants. I love them. The pockets work well for carrying cabling tools, external hard drives, etc..the everyday stuff of a computer geek. On the weekends, the front mag pocket comes in handy for my IDPA top off mag.

Check out LA Police Gear for some good sales on 5.11 gear.

Thanks David...I have a closet full of the Dockers stuff, but, I wore those before I started carrying. I had it in my mind that they would NOT hold up. Plus i need more pockets!!...I carry a work phone, personal phone, my car keys, company vehicle keys, wallet, knife, lighter, cigarettes, business card wallet, sometimes a samll mag-lite, my EDC, plus a few other odds and ends from day to day.

The 5.11 stuff looks good on the net, but, so does a lot of other stuff.

Thanks for the opinion from a real user.

I'm usually in a pair of 5.11s or Woolrich Elite pants. I love them. The pockets work well for carrying cabling tools, external hard drives, etc..the everyday stuff of a computer geek. On the weekends, the front mag pocket comes in handy for my IDPA top off mag.

Check out LA Police Gear for some good sales on 5.11 gear.

Thanks dunn!
  • Administrator
I like my Eotac pants better than my 5.11. The 5.11 probably blend in a little better though.

I have yet to try those or the Woolrich. I need to order a pair of each and see how I like them. Lately I've picked up a few pairs of Carhartts as mentioned above and like them as well. The bonus on the Carhartts is that you can find them at most any Tractor Supply store.

What I'm about to say may be considered blasphemy, but here goes...

5.11 clothing is not perfect. There! I said it! I have the pants in just about every color, and they do not hold up well to repeated washing. I still wear 'em all the time because of their utility, but the colors have faded noticeably. Also, for some reason, my 5.11 pants have shrunk more than any other pants I've ever owned. I actually have to buy a size up in both the waist and the inseam in order to avoid what I like to call "The Urkel Effect". And if you're someone who's used to carrying your wallet in your back pocket, the depth of the rear slash pockets might be a little bit uncomfortable and offputting for you. Furthermore, the legs are cut much slimmer than a traditional BDU pant, and this can make ankle carry difficult (if you're into that sort of thing).

All that being said, I still wear my 5.11 stuff to work once or twice a week, and all the time on the weekends. Just wanted to give you an honest assessment to consider. :)

Seaslug and others who may be laundry challenged:__________

Here is a pearl of information straight from a second generation "washerman" who was trained by his sainted mom who washed and ironed everything and made it look like it just came from the laundry. We were poor when i was a boy; so we needed to keep things looking new; they had to last a long time!! I'm also "full figured ---HEHEHE..." so im vitally interested in keeping shrinkage to a minimum (...especially the girth...).

Thow all the damn washing detergent away (...read that Cheer, Tide, All, yda yda--all the stuff you see advertised as detergent...) and start washing with Woolite in warm water with a cold water rinse. If things are really dirty; throw in about 1/2 cup of granulated Oxyclean (...let it dissolve before you put the clothes in...). If the clothes stink (...think dirty tee shirts or sweat dissapating high tech gear...) add about 1/2 cup of white vinegar to the wash (...either rinse or wash, it doesnt matter...). After washing, hang your clothes up to dry on an old time clothesline (..or do like we do and hang them up on the wrought iron railing on the deck or around the stairwell...).

Your clothes wont shrink, they wont fade, and they will last a lelluva lot longer. Dont let your wives touch your clothes unless they know how to wash. Keep things out of the drier until they are almost air dried and keep the damn drier on low! The dryer shrinks everything; the drier the clothes before they go in, the less the shrinkage!!

I've got carhartt dungarees and overalls that are bleached white from washing; but they still fit. By the way; there is no charge for this valuable "pearl" of secret information. It is offered as a "free service" to all my washing challenged brothers (...and sisters...).

Keep up the good work!

Laundryman Leroy

I used to wear 5.11's all the time and found them to be okay standing up, but repeated movements such as squatting, sitting, etc, they tend to feel binding as well as like others have mentioned they fade like a SOB.

Based on advice from a friend of mine that is a firearms instructor also, I went to Wal-Mart and picked up their Wrangler Cargo Pants and Cargo Shorts and haven't looked back. 5.11 and others have jacked their prices up, and even though I can get dealer pricing on them, I don't wear their pants or shirts anymore, just the jackets and fleeces.

The Wrangler stuff is like $16 a pair for the pants and $12 for the shorts. Cargo pockets are sturdy and secure well, the material holds up well through several schools I went to and have had no problems with them and if you do screw them up they are cheap to replace.

Hmm... Some of you guys might be buying some swap meet Louis or something. My 5.11 pants have held up great, haven't faded much at all and haven't shrunk. Odd.
Couldn't really tell from the first post, but are you wearing the TDU's instead of the regular classic 5.11 pants? 'Cause if so, those DO hold up much better than the standard pants due to the difference in materials. I've got some black ones that were part of my uniform back when I worked nightclub security on the side, and they've been used and abused and still look pretty much brand new.

I have one pair of 5.11 cargo pants and really like them. Strange thing is their cargo pants don't have cargo pockets. What they do have is a long (i.e. deep) pocket with a zipper behind the regular front pocket. It's perfect for a pocket holster.

I also have 3 pair of the Wal-Mart Wrangler cargo pants that are inexpensive and work well. I personally don't like to carry in the carry pocket because I don't like the feel of the firearm slapping leg near my knee.

Obviously there are some differing opinions on this subject....thanks for the replies.

If...and that is a BIG IF...I change jobs...I will have to dress business casual most every day and straight business some days. I guess I'm saying that I need pants that will hold up, not shrink, and LOOK good too. Is there such a thing?

Is this something that I'm just gonna have to try and see what works for me?

What I'm about to say may be considered blasphemy, but here goes...

5.11 clothing is not perfect. There! I said it! I have the pants in just about every color, and they do not hold up well to repeated washing. I still wear 'em all the time because of their utility, but the colors have faded noticeably. Also, for some reason, my 5.11 pants have shrunk more than any other pants I've ever owned. I actually have to buy a size up in both the waist and the inseam in order to avoid what I like to call "The Urkel Effect". And if you're someone who's used to carrying your wallet in your back pocket, the depth of the rear slash pockets might be a little bit uncomfortable and offputting for you. Furthermore, the legs are cut much slimmer than a traditional BDU pant, and this can make ankle carry difficult (if you're into that sort of thing).

All that being said, I still wear my 5.11 stuff to work once or twice a week, and all the time on the weekends. Just wanted to give you an honest assessment to consider. :D

What color are you wearing and which material? I have three of the Taclite Pro in Coyote and I have had no fading. They do not shrink either. This would be because they are mostly if not all synthetic I would guess.

What color are you wearing and which material? I have three of the Taclite Pro in Coyote and I have had no fading. They do not shrink either. This would be because they are mostly if not all synthetic I would guess.
Bingo. The TacLite Pros--as well as the TDU's--are a 65/35 blend of cotton and poly rip-stop. I have the 100% cotton basic Tactical pants in black, khaki, coyote, walnut, and tundra.

I've got a bunch of 5.11 clothes - mostly the "covert" stuff. I think it comes off looking more sporty, or granola, than "tacticool." Watch 5.11's website, and L.A. Police Gear's website, for crazy clearance sales. If you watch regularly, you'll catch unbelievable deals. A couple of nights ago, I bought 8 shirts from 5.11, for $26 shipped!

+1 to Seaslugs original post. The straddle seems to be a little long for me. I switched to Woolrich Elite and love'm. The fit and feel more like a pair of relaxed fit jeans to me.

DaG

I don't have any experience with 5.11 but check out Tru-Spec. I have a couple pairs and love them. I had a pair o at the East Tn Meet and Shoot. I wear them everywhere from city to cursing timber in the woods. They have held up amazingly well considering the briar patches I have crawled thru. Just a thought.

These are the ones I have

http://www.opsgear.com/index/page/product/product_id/1444/category_id/361/category_chain/9,361/product_name/24-7+Tactical+Pant+Cotton

Edited by Lumber_Jack

I have had the same problems Seaslug had with my classic 5.11 cotton pants. I'm not a Leroy approved washer expert :up:, but I do take pretty good care of my clothes. Haven't had any problems with their TDU/Taclite stuff, but I wouldn't buy the classic cotton pants again. I have a pair of the tan that has held up still, but my black and green ones have pretty much had it. Their shirts, coats, jackets, and the like have all been great. I have one of their fleece patrol jackets for work that is AWESOME.

The only thing I will speak out firmly against is their boots. I absolutely demolished 2 pairs of their boots just working at the hospital and the gun range. It was ridiculous. Oddly enough, I then bought a pair of Galls brand boots during their 80% off sale for about 10 bucks and they are still on my feet and flawless a year later.

I have went through probably 20 pairs since 2006. They held up well for me considering what I was doing. They do fade and shrink with washings but it did take a little time for that to happen and I was hard on mine. You can feel them change and when they feel different, as in more pliable, they will start to rip and tear. They seem a bit thicker than most pants which is probably why they shrink. As far as use in hot and cold weather. In cold weather they are great but in hot weather they don't seem to breathe well. These are the cotton versions and not the hot weather versions. The rear angled pocket just doesn't seem to work well for anything. It is too big for a wallet as well as letting it sit low enough to be a pain to get to and hurts when sitting for any length of time. The pocket doesn't do well for a quick place to stick a firearm. I have tried it several ways and none really worked well. The rest of the pockets are handy and work well.

I would watch LA Police gear and Botach Tactical for deals. A bit of advice about Botach. Do not expect to receive what you order and you won't have a problem. That way when you do get it you are going to be happy. I have placed three orders with them but only received one and this seems to be a running theme with them. My last order I was on the phone with the warehouse manager checking to make sure the items I was ordering were in stock. I hit submit when I was on the phone. When I didn't receive my order I called and was told the items ahd been out of stock for months. Botach has the best prices on clearance stuff. The one order I did receive was 5.11 pants for $4.95 each.

I think in a business/casual enviroment 5.11 pants will last a long time.

Dolomite