5.11 clothing?

5.11 is good stuff. I own several simply because they're the only brand britches that hold up for me. I always wait until they're on sale at GT's to buy them 3 for 2.

I have had two problems out of them though.

I have one pair of the Ripstop that is ripped around the waist. Have another pair of the thin material ones (TDU, maybe?) with two burn holes in them. The burns came from cigarette ash. I've never seen a pair of pants (or anything far as that goes) burn from a simple ash before.

Don't think I've had any fading with any of them. Even the thick cotton ones :)

I wash them with H/E Tide, cold/cold for you washing gurus :)

Edited by strickj
  • Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have two of their shirts that I wear for casual wear and really like them. I bought them on clearance, I think from LA Police, for like $8 each so with shipping it was $18. A great buy, I'll buy on clearance more. I don't own any of their pants.

Guest Bronker

You guys know that the label in the dark colored 5.11 pants actually says to wash them inside out, I assume.

Mine don't fade now that I've done that. Nor do mine shrink.

YMMV

Guest Guy N. Cognito
The back pockets are for rifle mags I do believe.

As to business casual, a gentleman I know that teaches military science at Vandy has at least one pair he wears.

Does he wear them with penny loafers and one of those blazers with the patches on the sleaves?

Guest Guy N. Cognito
No.

He does have a 3rd BN / 75th Ranger Regiment scroll on his right sleeve though.

Good to know. I've always looked to the Rangers for business fashion advice.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Is that comment supposed to be funny?...or are you being a smarta$$ again?

Santa needs to get someone a sense of humor for Christmas. ;)

Relax.....were talking about clothes.

I've got just about every color in both cotton and TacLite in both pants and shorts. No shrinkage issues, but I hang dry them all. What I will say is sizing isn't necessarily consistent. Right out of the box some pants are snug and others are bit lose. Otherwise, +1 on 5.11 pants. For what it's worth I also own range bags, backpacks, gloves and shirts. All have held up and served me well.

Guest Guy N. Cognito
The 5.11 Tactical Covert Khakis are the only ones that I see which would be considered business casual. As a general rule, cargo pants are not business casual. They me be acceptable in a specific workplace, but they are not business casual.

+1

The 5.11 Tactical Covert Khakis are the only ones that I see which would be considered business casual. As a general rule, cargo pants are not business casual. They me be acceptable in a specific workplace, but they are not business casual.

Those are the ones I have, I think they're discontinued. Mine are pretty wore out.

Guest GallatinTN
I don't have any experience with 5.11 but check out Tru-Spec. I have a couple pairs and love them. I had a pair o at the East Tn Meet and Shoot. I wear them everywhere from city to cursing timber in the woods. They have held up amazingly well considering the briar patches I have crawled thru. Just a thought.

These are the ones I have

24-7 Tactical Pant Cotton

Just ordered some, thanks for the tip!:)

Oh and they have 15% off until 12/31 and no shipping over $49.

Edited by GallatinTN
It's the square root of 26.1121 Duh.

An answer that this Liberal Arts major would have never arrived at.

I trust that you are being sarcastic because that would be the most "Non Tac-Cool" meaning to a name for anything with that many pockets. :)

Guest Bronker
An answer that this Liberal Arts major would have never arrived at.

I trust that you are being sarcastic because that would be the most "Non Tac-Cool" meaning to a name for anything with that many pockets. :)

Me? Sarcastic?:)

It's a gift...

Truth be told, I have NO IDEA where they arrived at the name. I have lots of their stuff though, and it is real quality.

Guest GallatinTN

I was curious too, so I went to their website:

What does ‘5.11’ stand for?

5.11 Tactical® Pants with the trademarked tactical strap and slash pocket design were originally developed for rock climbing. “5.11†is a rock climbing difficulty level as listed in the Yosemite Decimal System. With skill levels ranging from 5.0 (easy) to 5.10 (difficult), 5.11 is even more grueling. 5.11 is officially defined as, “After thorough inspection, you conclude this move is obviously impossible; however, occasionally someone actually accomplishes it.â€

:)