Can I get some opinions?

Guest mosinon

Guest mosinon

I was looking for a new EDC knife and went with a spyderco endura because I thought it was USA made and it was cheapish.

But it wasn't USA it was made elsewhere and, while I like it okay I don't care for the thumb hole opening deal.

So I've been thinking of ordering a benchmade.

It will set me back a hundred or so bucks but if I carry it all the time it is still cheap. The other knife I've been thinking of is a tops buck collaboration.

But I know jack about all this. Just what is the best US made knife for about a cold hundy? Folder, EDC, largish blade etc.

Thanks my knowledgeable friends.

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Lone Wolf knives for $100. Here is the one I have-

http://www.bladehq.com/item--Lone-Wolf-Knives-Cheyenne--5269

100% USA made, top notch S30V blade and G10 handles, super tight lockup, and incredibly sharp right out of the box. If you create an account and log in, the discount price is right at $100. Some models may be hard to find for a while since Benchmade just bought Lone Wolf.

Lone Wolf knives are impressive. I'd love to have a Diablo or Blackfoot d/a. I hope Benchmade continues to make most of the same models from the LW line. If you buy Benchmade, watch out as some are made overseas. I think if it comes in a red box, it's made overseas. Blue and black box Benchmades are US made. I bought a Benchmade mini Barrage at a recent knife show. Retail is $125. 154CM steel, assisted opening, very well made. You should be able to find someone selling them for under $100.

mosinon:___________

I got one on these; they are in the hundred dollar range (...$125...). Great knife: H&K Axis Lock Folding Knife w/ G-10 Handles (Satin PLN) 14205 - Blade HQ

I like the "axis" lock and the heavy blade. They sharpen well,

Hope this helps.

Leroy

PS -- Major Kong has a helluva idea with the Zero Tolerance 0350. They are a great knife (...i want one of the big ones...).

Edited by leroy
For around $100 (actually about $110 at Amazon or $120 at Blade HQ) I would buy a Zero Tolerance 0350. S30V steel, American made, built like a tank. It's about 10% smaller than the 0300. I own the 0300 and find it too big for EDC. I think the 0350 would be perfect.

Zero Tolerance 0350 Assisted Folder Knife (Black PLN) - Blade HQ

I agree 100%, awesome blades for the money

http://www.midwesthuntersoutlet.com/item.aspx?PID=373936&w=PQ%2BJDyOLrQE%3D

Cheapest you will ever find a new one

Edited by willis68
Guest mosinon

the ZT is nice and for 89 bucks it is hard to pass up. On the other hand the blade is coated and I kinda like my blades metal looking. I really want it's big brother for EDC but the 300 is just too much dough.

I picked up a Benchmade knife a year or 2 ago that had been discontinued for a pretty fair price. I thought all their knives were made here in the US, so I didn't think to look when I bought it. It's a Red class knife with an Austrian designer (Steirer Eisen) and is made in Taiwan! I was a little peaved, but I got it REAL cheap and carry it every day. It holds a good edge and I like it.

Guest DanE479
mosinon:___________

I got one on these; they are in the hundred dollar range (...$125...). Great knife: H&K Axis Lock Folding Knife w/ G-10 Handles (Satin PLN) 14205 - Blade HQ

I like the "axis" lock and the heavy blade. They sharpen well,

Hope this helps.

Leroy

PS -- Major Kong has a helluva idea with the Zero Tolerance 0350. They are a great knife (...i want one of the big ones...).

H&K line are benchmade and some are not US made. IN fact, not all benchmades are US made. Most of the cheap ones (sub $70) are made off shore.

The Spyderco Endura is one of THE BEST all around folders out there. Who cares if the steel is japanese? They are the masters of blade steels. I carry a Spyderco waved Endura every day, and have been for 4 years. It's been immersed in cake batter, showered with welding sparks, has been used to shave sheet metal and a whole bunch of other things. VG-10 is kickass steel.

In your criteria, I'd go with the ZT 0350, although I think you're making a to-do about nothing.

Edited by DanE479
more info
Guest mosinon
In your criteria, I'd go with the ZT 0350, although I think you're making a to-do about nothing.

Perhaps. On the other hand, my wife really like greek salads and I don't like them because I don't care for goat cheese. She thinks I'm making a to do about but, what can I say, I don't like goat cheese.

If there was a perfect knife for everyone there'd be one model available.

As for the made in America thing, well I usually find that it is higher quality if it is made in the USA. Which is why I spend extra dough and buy US tools in general.

For the record, that isn't the case with the endura. The endura is built really well, it is grippy and sharp. The blade is plenty thick, it opens easily and locks up firm. It really is a great knife. For the money it is hard to imagine a better knife. I can see why people love it so much. I just don't happen to be one of those people. Nothing wrong with the knife at all, just not for me.

Or maybe, I've just got a bad knife jones right now and just want to try out a bunch of different knives.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest mosinon

That, Major Kong, is exactly what I've been after. I got a couple of kershaws for Christmas (a baby boa and a scallion) and love how they open. I think the satin ZT will fully sate my knife needs.