Want a new pocket knife?

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not much on knives, but I always have one clipped in my pocket. Been carrying a Kershaw that's been dulled out and just want something new. Does anyone make an assisted open Ceramic blade folder? Are there any drawbacks on a ceramic blade? Thanks.

Boker makes some and I think there are others out there on the market. I don't know the pros/cons of them. Chefs seems to like them, but they are (I believe) very expensive - the ones used by Chefs.

Some of the Bokers are around 100 bucks +/-.

Guest mosinon

I've heard from friends that ceramic knives are really hard to sharpen. But they were talking kitchen knives. Maybe a pocket knife would use a different ceramic or something.

I've heard from friends that ceramic knives are really hard to sharpen. But they were talking kitchen knives. Maybe a pocket knife would use a different ceramic or something.

Wonder if the Spyderco sharpeners would work - they make ceramic sharpening tools but not sure if they work better on steel and not on ceramic blades.

But isn't one of the benefits of ceramics is the ceramic holds an edge longer?

Speaking of Spyderco, I have it on good authority I will join the 21st century and have a Spyderco from Santa. I have several pocket knives that were my late Dad's but it is time to get an quick opener (gettting a Stretch, combo blade - at least that was what I asked for in my letter to Santa :)).

Guest mosinon
Wonder if the Spyderco sharpeners would work - they make ceramic sharpening tools but not sure if they work better on steel and not on ceramic blades.

But isn't one of the benefits of ceramics is the ceramic holds an edge longer?

Speaking of Spyderco, I have it on good authority I will join the 21st century and have a Spyderco from Santa. I have several pocket knives that were my late Dad's but it is time to get an quick opener (gettting a Stretch, combo blade - at least that was what I asked for in my letter to Santa :)).

My limited knowledge comes from a few cook friends. FRom what I've been told, not first hand stuff, ceramic knives do stay sharp a long time but once they lose their edge they are done for.

Let me be super clear at this point. I have no first hand knowledge of this stuff so I can't say with any authority.This is all second hand information. I wouldn't be surprised if I am wrong. Which I usually am.

I've not owned a ceramic blade, but have heard they are somewhat brittle. Kershaw is a very good knife, but I think you'll see a big difference in edge holding ability with a different steel than they commonly use. Look for something with 154CM or ATS34. I bought a new Benchmade at the knife show in Knoxville a couple of months ago. It has a 154CM blade and is holding up great. Other good steels available as well.

I have a Boker ceramic blade folder that I bought at the factory in Solingen, Germany. It is ridiculously sharp and very cool looking. The downside to ceramic blades is that they cannot be used to pry or have much torsional force applied to them or the blade will snap. Just my personal opinion, but I wouldn't want one for an EDC knife.

I work with one of those guys that has to have the newest, best of everything.

He has over $2000 worth of fine Wusthof Classic knives, but heard that ceramic is better. So, he went out and bought a $300 ceramic cook's knife.

He ranted and raved about how good it was for a week until it fell off the kitcen counter and broke when it hit the floor.

LOL, same with me - can't afford one of those high-end ceramics for the kitchen. Maybe flyanything can give us some first-hand reports on how his new knife holds up. i can't wait for Christmas to get into the 21st century with an assisted opener - I have a bunch of my Dad's Bucks, Case, Bokers, etc. Solid knives that hold an edge but not easy to deploy quickly.

Guest 10mm4me

Pros: They are extremely sharp and extremely hard. They approach the hardness of diamonds. They keep an edge extremely well

Cons: They chip very easily and are relatively brittle compared to steel. If they are used properly they are very good knives.

I've used ceramic kitchen knives and they are super sharp, but VERY brittle. I went back to steel knives because ceramic is not very practical and their use is too limited. The ceramic is so hard that it can shatter if any side to side pressure is applied. It's kind of like using a shard of glass as a knife...super sharp edge, but too brittle for daily use. They are fine for use in the kitchen on fruit/vegies, but that's about it. I prefer a good high carbon or stainless knife any day.