Another question for the board, ammo in the magazine.

Guest carbonarcher

Guest carbonarcher

Let me start, by saying I have read some information about loading your magazine with alternating ammo.

My question being do you all alternate?(Meaning, JHP, Glasier, Cor-bon, Pow-r-ball....)

What are your thoughts?

Personally, I didn't know better and just use the same ammo in the magazine. Is this something that you would suggest?

Thank you

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Some time ago, while discussing the weak penetration of .380, someone (Molonlabetn I believe) brought up the suggestion of alternating between JHP's (Jacketed Hollow Points) and and FMJ's (Full Metal Jacket's) in the .380 magazine. The idea was the JHP's would make the bigger hole and the FMJ's would penetrate deeper. Made since to me and such I have both of my .380's (PPK & LCP) loaded that way. The PPK has an added benefit that after all of the rounds have been discharged, one could simply through it at a threat since it weighs as much as a brick.....:)

This is the only round in which I personally have alternated between types of bullets.

I think alternating ammo is pretty dumb. Find a round that cycles well in your pistol and stick with it.

So hit the SOB where he needs to be hit as many times as you are able to. Reload. Scan. Pretty hard to do if your head is up your ass concerned about ammo type or some other bull****.

Edited by Mike

Its really only something you would do for an underpowered round that has trouble penetrating cover, clothing, or even a fat guy. If you do this, I recommend a flat nose solid / JHP alternating round. Its probably not necessary, but if you train to double tap, thats one of each every time you fire. Its food for thought, but really, I cannot say if its worth doing or not. Maybe yes, maybe no. Ive done it in the past, currently, I am not bothering. The .380 and makarov are the 2 rounds I have done this on at one time or another.

I posted a link here a while back:

Camping & Hiking Ammunition | Ballistics 101

These guys advocate carrying FMJ in the backwoods if there is any chance you will use your weapon against woodland creatures. Most of the board didn't seem to agree with these guys but the thought is the same. If you have a mariginal caliber, example (.380 v/s a fat guy or a .40 against a wild animal on a hiking trail...); penetration is more important that expansion. I may be dumb, but I have alternated heavy JHP and flat nosed FMJ in my Glock 22 for hiking. It is not a normal carry gun for me but when I do carry it or when it is on "bump in the night duty", it's loaded with lighter JHP.

*Edit as for Mike's comment about cycling well... I don't like to use any gun for carry that is picky about ammo. All my Glocks have fed everything I've put through them.

Edited by JReedEsq
I think alternating ammo is pretty dumb.....

Mike, "Stacking" is an Old School method. :squint:

The penetration of early HPs wasn't always that great. Some folks went with alternating HP and FMJ rounds because of that.

It was common practice with some THP guys in order to shoot through car glass and sheetmetal with the FMJ. I knew a couple of troopers who loaded their second spare mag full with FMJ in order to shoot at vehicles.

AND then bonded JHPs arrived along with the .357SIG and the need to stack was history.

I carry hollow points in all my guns except for when I had a .380(it was carried with FMJ). The only time I will alternate rounds or carry FMJ is when I'm going hiking or camping and I'm more concerned with wildlife. We WANT expansion but we NEED penetration. just remember opinions are like ass****s, everyone has one.

Mike, "Stacking" is an Old School method. :tough:

The penetration of early HPs wasn't always that great. Some folks went with alternating HP and FMJ rounds because of that.

It was common practice with some THP guys in order to shoot through car glass and sheetmetal with the FMJ. I knew a couple of troopers who loaded their second spare mag full with FMJ in order to shoot at vehicles.

AND then bonded JHPs arrived along with the .357SIG and the need to stack was history.

And that's why I think it's dumb to do so now.