Guest trigem

View enhanced version 25.gif

Man boards plane at IAH with loaded gun in carry-on

video.gif - view video -

Man boards plane at IAH with loaded gun in carry-on

Updated on: 2010-12-16 23:24:47

Story posted 2010.12.17 at 05:08 AM CST

image?id=14091766&size=240

TSA checkpoints at airports are at the front lines of preventing terrorism. When you go through security, you expect to be scanned and searched. And you expect TSA to prevent contraband from getting on planes, but as we've learned, that doesn't always happen.

Houston businessman Farid Seif says it was a startling discovery. He didn't intend to bring a loaded gun on a flight out of Houston and can't understand how TSA screeners didn't catch it.

Nearing the height of last year's Christmas travel season, TSA screeners at Bush Intercontinental Airport somehow missed a loaded pistol, one that was tucked away inside a carry-on computer bag.

"I mean, this is not a small gun," Seif said. "It's a .40 caliber gun."

Seif says it was an accident which he didn't realize until he arrived at his destination. He says he carries the glock for protection but forgot to remove it from his bag. He reported the incident as soon as he landed, shocked at the security lapse.

"There's nothing else in there. How can you miss it? You cannot miss it," Seif said.

Authorities tell ABC News the incident is not uncommon, but how often it occurs is a closely guarded government secret. Experts say every year since the September 11 attacks, federal agencies have conducted random, covert tests of airport security.

A person briefed on the latest tests tells ABC News the failure rate approaches 70 percent at some major airports. Two weeks ago, TSA's new director said every test gun, bomb part or knife got past screeners at some airports.

"It's very concerning. I'm very scared. First of al, I can't even believe it could happen," traveler Joy Mansfield said.

"It makes you wonder what exactly all the security hoopla is all about if a loaded gun can go through," traveler Leeza Erfesoglou said.

KTRK's Aviation Security Expert Jim Conway says screeners have a demanding job and are susceptible to fatigue, staring for hours at monitors while looking for prohibited items.

"Look, this is simply human error," Conway said. "When something like this happens, it's human error. I mean, these folks are doing the best job they can."

Seif and others say that's not good enough, not when lives are on the line.

A representative for the Houston Airport System would not comment on the security breach at Bush Intercontinental Airport.

A TSA spokesperson says the agency has conducted an investigation, saying remedial training was provided to the security officers involved in the incident. Advanced imaging technology and more stringent pat downs have also since been implemented.

Story posted 2010.12.17 at 05:08 AM CST

Send to: emailicon.gif smsicon.gif facebook.gif twitter.gif

Tell us what you think

Back To Headlines

View enhanced version Font Size: S M L

abc13NOW Home

All material © 2010 ABC Inc., KTRK-TV Inc. & 2004-2010 LSN, Inc. All Rights Reserved.

926379681?D=..&gn=man%20boards%20plane%20at%20iah%20with%20loaded%20gun%20in%20carry-on&h1=ktrk%2cwap%2cnews%2clocal%20headlines%2cindex&ev=event2&c4=man%20boards%20plane%20at%20iah%20with%20loaded%20gun%20in%20carry-on&c6=news%2clocal%20headlines&c13=..User-Agent&c14=OD&c5=OFF&c15=XHTML&c12=6%3A30AM&c21=Friday&c22=Week%20Day&c24=Story&v12=6%3A30AM&c20=E&c18=Mobile%20Site%20Feedback&v13=..User-Agent&r=http%3A%2F%2Fsn114w.snt114.mail.live.com%2Fmail%2FInboxLight.aspx%3Fn%3D1215746029926379681?pageName=.OF..%2Fman%20boards%20plane%20at%20iah%20with%20loaded%20gun%20in%20carry-on..m%2Fktrk.....&h1=ktrk%2Fwap%2fnews%2Flocal%20headlines%2Findex&ch=news&r=http%3A%2F%2Fsn114w.snt114.mail.live.com%2Fmail%2FInboxLight.aspx%3Fn%3D1215746029m?ci=us-abcKTRK&cg=mobile

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"It's very concerning. I'm very scared. First of al' date=' I can't even believe it could happen," traveler Joy Mansfield said.

"It makes you wonder what exactly all the security hoopla is all about if a loaded gun can go through," traveler Leeza Erfesoglou said. [/quote']

And another one opens her eyes. I wish more people could realize this.

• Admin Team

The TSA is a great example of Security Theater, and an even better example of how truly ineffective a government jobs program can be. If only the airlines weren't completely dependent on government largesse with taxpayer money for their survival, they might step in and say enough. I'm frankly surprised people still put up with it.

more stringent pat downs have also since been implemented.

And now we all get punished because the TSA worker wasn't doing his job. That seems to be on par with most government programs though, punish everyone else other than those responsible.

I bet the reason why the person will not be fired for this is the TSA is afraid of a whistleblower. I would love to hear a former TSA agent come clean on the who shenanigan.

Dolomite

Wow. I think I woulda kept my mouth shut and just been thankful I didn't catch a charge or, at the least, lose my gun! But that's just me.

Perhaps he thought he was going to be nabbed as he left, and by reporting the lapse he covered his a$$. Considering his name I'd think that's a reasonable possibility.

I think that I would have kept my mouth shut and be glad I didn't get caught. I'd hate to have to explain the lapse of thought process like that to the authorities. We all know how understanding they are.

• 5 months later...
Guest armed_geek
I think that I would have kept my mouth shut and be glad I didn't get caught. I'd hate to have to explain the lapse of thought process like that to the authorities. We all know how understanding they are.

The sad part of this is your right. Back in 2003 I was a PFC in the Army flying to Korea. My orders said I could have 3 checked bags. At the Airport I was informed that was wrong, but that one was small enough to be carry-on. Unforgettably I left my Knife in that bag. It was caught by the TSA & I was taken to the Local Police. I lost my knife so it could be evidence for the FBI. I hold a TS & work in MI. Really the last guy to want to hi-jack a plane with a knife.