Help me pick a new handgun

Guest zj318guy

Guest zj318guy

So I've got an itch for a big bore handgun, something a little bigger than my EDC G27 and a little smaller than my 5" 1911(Looking for something I may actually conceal in the cooler months). I have been looking at 3 or 4 different options and of those there are a couple I have only limited experience with which is where you come in!

In no particular order.

1st I have been looking at h&k handguns, specifically USP compact 45 or the newer hk45c(probably this one, I like the way the grip feels). Problem is I have only held never fired an hk before.

2nd I have been looking at the various packages Sig offers in their p220. Also have only held p220s never fired one.

3rd I have been looking at a CCO type 1911, I like the simple design(I do not favor ambi safeties on carry 1911s esp) of the Kimber compact stainless but may also consider Sig C3 or a S&W ES.

4th option and probably the most practical would be to just buy a G23 to match my little 27 and call it a day but that's not exciting or "new" persay.

So that's what Ive been kicking around, any input would be appreciated or if anyone has any additional suggestions for me to check out please do tell. I'm mostly looking for a .45, may consider another good .40 or maybe a 10mm. I like single action or da/sa in my larger guns but a striker fired weapon is not out of the question.

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My best suggestion is rent guns and try them out. I've always thought I would like a Sig but had never fired one. I carry a Kimber Eclipse Pro. Yesterday I got a chance to shoot my buddy's Sig 229 9mm. I was floored with how heavy the first trigger pull was, I couldn't hit the paper with the first pull. So having tried this one out I feel I'm going to wait awhile before considering a DA as I would need considerable practice before I could carry it. Not that it's a bad weapon by any means it's just the idea and lure were way more appealing than reality to me!

So rent, beg, or borrow and you'll find what you want

Guest zj318guy

I hear a lot bad about the DA trigger pull on Sig and HK both, something I'll definitely take into consideration for a carry pistol. I hope they're no heavier than the Ruger GP100 I used to have. Thanks for the quick replies guys!

3rd I have been looking at a CCO type 1911, I like the simple design(I do not favor ambi safeties on carry 1911s esp) of the Kimber compact stainless but may also consider Sig C3 or a S&W ES.

I'd suggest the Dan Wesson CCO. No ambi safety. Best looking factory grips I've ever seen on any 1911.

Edited by eapking
typo
Guest Roadkill Bill

Out of the four guns you mentioned I'd pick the Sig P220 first, and then the Glock 23.

Don't rule out revolvers. A 3" SP101, or 3" S&W K-frame are also excellent choices. Easy to carry and great stopping power.

try a colt defender

as far as the HKs and Sigs DA pull, why on earth would you not carry cocked and locked if you could even though it had DA ability?

Locked being the key word. Sig's don't have a manual safety. With the hammer back trigger pull is approx 4.4 lbs it's 10 lbs in DA mode. The 10 lb trigger is the safety. I carry a 1911 cocked and locked, but would never carry if the thumb and grip safeties didn't work. That's just askin for an accidental discharge. Fwiw the sig in SA mode does have significant trigger travel before engaging the disconnector unlike 1911's so the comparison isn't exact

Guest zj318guy

If the weapon has the ability(and obvious most of the weapons I'm looking at do) I will definitely carry cocked and locked. And to the suggestions of a 357 revolver I have had several revolvers and have traded out of all but one, my sp101. Definitely in the market for a auto loader. I'm really leaning towards an HK45c, when I held it, it just felt right you know? And with hk's reputation for quality and accuracy I feel like I could buy with confidence. I've just heard a lot about their spotty service to the civilian market and I cringe at spending that kind of buck on a polymer frame pistol.

These guns are huge, how big is your 1911?? The sig, for example, is over 7 inches long, yet you cited wanting to conceal it. I know that people do conceal big guns, but are you sure that 1 more inch or less in length is really going to do that much for you (or is your 1911 the largest one out there??). The HK is almost 7 inches long.

I guess I am asking, what did you want again? I see almost no advantage of these weapons over a big 1911, you would carry them the exact same way (probably IWB in the small of your back?). They are, IMO, too large for frontal IWB carry (or on the extreme edge of too large anyway) or for under-arm carry unless you always wear a coat or something.

If you are set on one of these guns, go for it, I do not know enough about any one of them to comment. But if you are looking to carry a big caliber weapon concealed, IMO these are no better than your 1911 (carry it and save $$ or buy one just to have a new toy, whatever). I would consider a small 40 caliber, or 10mm (trouble is, not many on the market), or 357 sig (nice but an odd caliber), etc in a just over 6 inch platform. I have not made up my mind about the small .45s, but you can find a few of those in a smaller gun as well.

Is your goal concealed carry, or to get a new weapon from a wish list, or do you really see a large difference in the relative sizes of these guns vs your 1911? I need more info before I can make any helpful comments.

Guest zj318guy

Jonnin, I can somewhat understand the confusion on what I asked, although to be fair I have been asking mostly about "compact" models(usp45c, hk45c, Kimber compact) which maybe fatter than my 1911 but have less length and more contour to the grip which is my problem area in concealment. I do not carry my 1911 for various reasons including the adjustable sights, wood grips, ambi safeties, etc which make it a great piece to show and shoot at the range but IMHO less than ideal for carry. It also serves as my bedside gun and is the only handgun we own that my wife can operate confidently, I don't want to go out the door carrying the only gun she can feel safe with. Yes this is a way to get a new toy off the wish list but honestly I want one of everything, lol. Mostly as long as I can get something big enough to handle 45 reliably and be fun to shoot but still compact enough in key areas to conceal carry I'll be happy no matter what I get.

Compacts that are 7+ inches long, maybe this word does not mean what I think it means =)

I dont have enough experience to help you with your key needs, unfortunately. The size/conceal issue is one you have to figure out yourself anyway: everyone has different ideas and needs for that, have to pick the gun up to see if it works for you. I also cannot comment on reliable, as I have only borrowed most of the 45s I have shot and its not enough ammo types and shots to say anything.

About all I can say is that HK 45c should qualify for the fun to shoot/range gun portion of your needs. The forward grip gives it a unique feel that I really liked when I tried it (not the 45c, but that design is found on many HK). For a lighter gun, they feel good when fired, unlike most light guns in big calibers.

Sig's don't have a manual safety

Sig actually does make the 220 in a SAO model with frame safety. Products & Services

Carry or full size, with a nice 5# trigger. I actually prefer the DA/SA, and changing one spring reduces the DA pull significantly. Once you master the first shot it is a great action but that takes some time. They are just fine handguns.

I find the full size 220 fine for cold weather carry, and have a friend who exclusively carries a full size 1911. IMVHO, once it's cool enough for a jacket it becomes more a matter of what's a comfortable weight than size.

While I clearly prefer the Sigs, a Ruger GP100 in .357 is also just a handfull of fun, and as indestructable as a Sig.

I agree, go shoot some of all that attract you, but consider the quality, reputation and longevity of the gun, and whether you can make it what you want. Especially with 1911's many modifications usually follow the initial purchase. Have fun shopping! :up:

Edited by JMB
link added