It took 25 years, but I finally did it...

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

Having owned dozens of Sigs over the years, I finally broke one. This is the second Sig I purchased and was my long-time ccw gun (from 1988-1998). Dusted it off and took it out to the range yesterday for the first time in years and had a couple of stove pipes at the end of the session. Found out why last night when I was cleaning it...

DSC00208.jpg

DSC00207.jpg

DSC00206-1.jpg

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everyone nows Sigs are indestrutible. Whatever form of abuse did you subject this fine weapon to in order to damage it in such a fashion?

Said in complete jest...They're fine guns. I've owned several. And the gun I most regret selling was a bi-tone P220 that a friend talked me out of.

Guest gcrookston
And now the SIG bashing will begin...

Ya, you'd think you could get more than 25,000 rounds out of one! I just got off the phone with Sig. Because this is an old style, mud rail frame, it's not interchangeable with the 'new style' they've been making for the last 20 years.

They are only offering to replace the entire gun, not repair this one - for which I've become quite fond. I'll bet if this had been a Glock they would have at least asserted I wasn't using appropriate ammo, or that I had in someway abused and misused it or at the very least sent me a tube of superglue to fix it. But noooooooo! Sig just flatly states they aren't going to fix it,using the lame excuse that they don't make this frame anymore and have none on hand. Bastids! At least Walther/S&W would send me a shipping label, keep the gun for a month and then send it back telling me nothing was wrong. What's wrong with these people at Sig! You'd think they'd stand behind their product and not just swap it out. I don't expect them to stay in business with these kinds of business practices.

Guest cajun600
Ya, you'd think you could get more than 25,000 rounds out of one! I just got off the phone with Sig. Because this is an old style, mud rail frame, it's not interchangeable with the 'new style' they've been making for the last 20 years.

They are only offering to replace the entire gun, not repair this one - for which I've become quite fond. I'll bet if this had been a Glock they would have at least asserted I wasn't using appropriate ammo, or that I had in someway abused and misused it or at the very least sent me a tube of superglue to fix it. But noooooooo! Sig just flatly states they aren't going to fix it,using the lame excuse that they don't make this frame anymore and have none on hand. Bastids! At least Walther/S&W would send me a shipping label, keep the gun for a month and then send it back telling me nothing was wrong. What's wrong with these people at Sig! You'd think they'd stand behind their product and not just swap it out. I don't expect them to stay in business with these kinds of business practices.

LOL

I'll bet if this had been a Glock they would have at least asserted I wasn't using appropriate ammo, or that I had in someway abused and misused it or at the very least sent me a tube of superglue to fix it.

Or tell you that you don't know how to shoot. That seems to be a pretty common reason for Glock malfunctions.

Sig can be gulity of that too. When my p238 was very new, it kept hanging open with rounds in the clip, a call to sig got me "its you: you hit the slide stop with your thumb as you shoot". Turns out, it needed a bit of repair. I never called them back after proving that it was not *me* (by shooting another one 25 times without incident) -- I just had my local gunsmith fix it. So I cannot be too hard on their customer service, I never called them back for the follow up conversation and will just assume they would have had me send it in & fixed it for me. But any company out there has praise and horror stories depending on who you ask and what forums you read.

Guest gcrookston
Did you use oil or grease on the frame rails prior to the incident? I have a few Sigs and use grease on the rails. Not saying this would have prevented it, just wondering what you use for lubrication.

I've always used a high quality synthetic grease. For many years I used Slick Fifty, but for about the last 10 I've been using Tetra's.

I will buy your broken paper weight, I feel like being charitable and it's close to Christmas, so how does $100.00 sound? It seems as if, you have no more need of a gun that doesn't fire. Would you want a 25 year old car that doesn't run?

Now why would he give you a broken gun that's worth a new one? ;)

DANGIT JAMIE! SHHHH!

you know, its for all of the hassle of sending it in and waiting, and mental anguish,... NOT to mention the replacement is DESTINED to fail as well. He doesn't want a gun thats ONLY going to last another 25 years. Thats crazy talk.

Wow! That's awesome that they're going to replace it. Couldn't happen to a nicer guy...

For the record, the pistol kept firing after the rail broke, but required you to clear the spent casing. How many times did it fire before you disassembled? And not to threadjack at all, but my trusty 15 year old G19's trigger spring broke a couple of months ago, after only 7000(est) rounds. I was completely bamboozled, can't imagine your suprise when your trusty old friend hiccuped.

Guest gcrookston

I put about 150-200 rounds through it yesterday. It stove piped one round out of each of the last 2 mags. I figured it was getting dirty.

Kesava -- $100 would almost buy the two factory nickel plated mags it came with ;). Sig didn't mention them...

I know of one guy who had a 226 that the rail had broken completely. It never quit on him. I think the left rail broke and it was throwing the bullet off to the right a bit or visa versa.

THAT impressed me.

I put about 150-200 rounds through it yesterday. It stove piped one round out of each of the last 2 mags. I figured it was getting dirty.

Kesava -- $100 would almost buy the two factory nickel plated mags it came with ;). Sig didn't mention them...

Yeah I don't know whats rarer...the nickel sigs or the mags lol. Im curious as to what they are gonna replace it with since they dont have nickel models these days.

Guest gcrookston
Yeah I don't know whats rarer...the nickel sigs or the mags lol. Im curious as to what they are gonna replace it with since they dont have nickel models these days.

They offered their new E2, but I'd rather have one of the old school, no rail P226 pistols. The dilemma I have is they want to deliver through their nearest Sig Dealer. I'm in Denver right now, but a Tennessee resident. If it were a repair they could ship it direct to me. But as it's a replacement a 4473 is required, so it can't legally be done at the moment.

Guest gcrookston
So Sig is going to replace it ? How old is it ?
I bought the gun new in 1989. I think the factor in my favor are the warranty cards they have on file for (3) P226, (2) P220, (1) 230, (1) 232, (2) 556, and (2) GSR XO's.... Of which I still have 2 other 226s, a 556, a 230 and a GSR...

Bubba, I appreciate the offer, but..

DSC00109.jpg