Norris - New Years Eve

I'll be there around noon, 1 o'clock. I'll be the tall guy in the OD ballcap. :shrug:

Missed you bro, as 4 or 5 of us there till 'bout 2:30, but of course none of us would have seen your post and known to look for you.

Folks tripping over each other to get a shot in. :rolleyes:

That's me. I DID trip and have to step right in BubbaTN's open hard gun case with a muddy foot to stabilize. 'Course he was putting an SKS in there, which probably gave it some sort of superiority complex.

....Near the end of the day when the crowd was thinning some manic bird dog showed up running apey all over both ranges. ....

OS finally lassoed it and got a hold of the owner who came and picked the insane beast up.

Yeah, she quieted down when the range finally went cold and let me get to her. Indeed, she was exactly doing the bird dog thing, looking to pick something up after every shot she heard. Her owner was back a mile or two on first side road into the Watershed, he and another guy were just walking their dogs, and his took off when she heard shots. Those kind of dogs can be awfully, umm, uni-dimensional in their behavior.

Btw, when I left just before three, there weren't but 2 tables in use, maybe 5 guys left total. I think everybody just had gun "cabin fever" from the spate of bad weather.

Good to see folks again ...

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I survived the New Year's Eve shoot at Norris. The place was utter chaos. Must have been 50 people there for the 8 benches on the rifle side and 2 on the pistol side. Folks tripping over each other to get a shot in. :shrug:

Regardless, had a good time.

Near the end of the day when the crowd was thinning some manic bird dog showed up running apey all over both ranges. Up and down the berm between the two, up the ridge behind the back stop. Over and over and over in great big circles. Must have wandered up into the hills hearing the gun shots and thinking it needed to retrieve something. Dog was confused.

OS finally lassoed it and got a hold of the owner who came and picked the insane beast up.

I'm jealous...you guys have WAY too much fun...:up:....:rolleyes:

yep, Garufa nailed it, as good a description of the day at Norris as anyone could have penned.

OS is now an honorary member of PETA for saving the dog. Craziest thing I have ever seen at a range, the dog running berserk, not OS roping him.

Missed you bro, as 4 or 5 of us there till 'bout 2:30, but of course none of us would have seen your post and known to look for you.

- OS

I was a bit behind schedule, but my AR was sighted in (thanks to Mike and Steve), as well as broken in so I'm happy.

Right on E, it was a lot of fun. Enjoyed it a lot in spite of only putting 25 rounds downrange. Well 27 counting the 2 duds some other guy shooting 30-06 had me put through the 03-A3 that did not go bang (amongst a slew of duds) out of his fancy shmancy hunting rifle.

Love it when my beat up old battle rifles go bang and the new fangled high dollar Fud riifles go dud. And the first shot I took of his dud ammo was a head shot on my torso target at 125 yards.

Right on E, it was a lot of fun. Enjoyed it a lot in spite of only putting 25 rounds downrange. Well 27 counting the 2 duds some other guy shooting 30-06 had me put through the 03-A3 that did not go bang (amongst a slew of duds) out of his fancy shmancy hunting rifle.

Love it when my beat up old battle rifles go bang and the new fangled high dollar Fud riifles go dud. And the first shot I took of his dud ammo was a head shot on my torso target at 125 yards.

nice! bet that dude ducked home feeling like poo. I enjoyed seeing all the old classic rifles today. Enjoyed shooting the 1911's as well. Almost makes me want to buy a Rock Island.

I had a good time too. Again, Was abit tight with everyone trying to get a few rounds off, but still a good time and no one got shot....so thats always good. Definitely was a nice day to be out finally. Good to see everyone again too.

One highlight of chaos day.....when Mike.357 says, "Hey, there's a fire".

Somebody's "empty" propane tank out at 125 yards lit up. Burned for a minute then the next shot extinguished the flame. Pretty cool actually.

dang it! I must have missed that when I was helping Mac rescue Lassie

Edited by Erik88

that was totally cool Garufa. I could not believe it when I saw that thing burning, then the next shot put it out. Knowing the guys who set it out I am sure they thought it was a empty tank. My first thought was that it was a tracer burning something on the berm. Have not seen flames on the range before.

Damn makes me want to do it again tomorrow. but no way to replicate what went on there today. It was off the hook, Norris style.

Dustin, meant to tell you how much I like shooting the Rock. Good choice, now I have to save some money up!

When his goes "fully" then we can talk about how much we like shooting it. :(

In spite of 200 people shooting at once it was one of the most fun days at Norris ever.

I must have been on the pistol range when the "great fire" took place. Wish I could have seen it. I miss all the exciting stuff: OS getting shot, giant fire balls... though the crazy dog was interesting.

And on the way to Norris I watched OS almost get run off the road by some idiot trying to merge from the shoulder of I-40. I guess that should have been an omen of what was to come.