Is it legal to carry a laser mounted on your pistol?

Forgive me if this topic has been covered. I have a laser for my SR9 and wonder if it's legal for carry. I've had police tell me that it's ok...and I've had police say that they will claim the laser and the pistol and haul you to jail. I've tried to find it in all the small writing, but you have to be a rocket scientist to make sense of some of the laws. Appears, the police don't know either. Anybody know what TN state law says about it?

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and I've had police say that they will claim the laser and the pistol and haul you to jail.

That's a new one on me... I've never heard of any sighting device being illegal to carry on any handgun. I'm certainly unaware of how a cop would "claim it", hauling you to jail or not. ( Unless you're doing something stupid with it like lighting up and scaring the "sheeple", but that's a whole 'nother issue. )

I'll be curious to see if anybody else here can shed any light on the subject, but I just don't see it being an issue or a problem.

Guest NashvegasMatt

I don't see how it cannot be legal, I mean if we want to get technical, the rail sights that are fixed to the weapon are considered a "sighting device", so I don't see how they can split hairs on that one.

I've had police say that they will claim the laser and the pistol and haul you to jail.

I wonder if by chance they were speaking of the type of laser that is not legal for civilian use? I don't know any details on the matter but I believe the military can use the type that is more powerful than is available for us to use.

As long as its not used improperly, I can't see why the police would realize its there. Several months ago I heard an idiot had been pointing one at aircraft as they approached the airport.

Yeah I was gonna say that was one of our own genius Memphians lol My buddy is a MPD helicopter pilot and he said dude was shining it all over the place. Bunch of idiots.

Some states and the Feds have passed laws on the use of lasers.

Tennessee…

39-16-515. Pointing a laser at a law enforcement officer or emergency personnel. —

(a) It is an offense for a person to knowingly activate and point a laser pointer or other device utilizing a laser beam at an individual known to be a law enforcement officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician or other emergency service personnel while the individual is in the performance of the individual's official duties, with the intent to place the individual in fear of serious bodily injury or death.

(:up: In order for subsection (a) to apply:

(1) The law enforcement officer, firefighter, emergency medical technician, or other emergency service personnel must actually be placed in fear of serious bodily injury or death;

(2) The fear must be real or honestly believed to be real at the time; and

(3) Based upon the facts and circumstances surrounding the defendant's conduct, the fear must be founded upon reasonable grounds.

© A violation of this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

[Acts 1999, ch. 146, § 1; 2009, ch. 387, §§ 1, 2.]

From Wikipedia….

United States

Laser pointers are Class II or Class IIIa devices, with output beam power less than 5 milliwatts (<5 mW). According to U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) regulations, more powerful lasers may not be sold or promoted as laser pointers.[44] Also, any laser with class higher than IIIa (more than 5 milliwatts) requires a key-switch interlock and other safety features.[45]

All laser products offered in commerce in the US must be registered with the FDA, regardless of output power.[46]

In Utah it is a class C misdemeanor to point a laser pointer at a law enforcement officer and is an infraction to point a laser pointer at a moving vehicle.[47]

In Arizona it is a Class 1 misdemeanor if a person "aims a laser pointer at a police officer if the person intentionally or knowingly directs the beam of light from an operating laser pointer at another person and the person knows or reasonably should know that the other person is a police officer." (Arizona Revised Statutes §13-1213) [48]

On April 30, 2010, Clint Jason Brenner, 36, of Prescott, AZ was found guilty of two counts of endangerment, each a class 6 felony, and it was also found that each was a dangerous offense, for pointing a handheld laser pointer at a Arizona Department of Public Safety helicopter responding to a late-night burglary in December 2009. Brenner faces a minimum of 1.5 years and a maximum of three years in prison for each count.[49]

On November 2, 2009, Dana Christian Welch of Southern California was sentenced to 2.5 years in a federal prison after being found guilty of shining a hand held laser light into the eyes of two different pilots landing Boeing jets at John Wayne Airport.[50][51]

Oh yeah they got him. He shined it at the MPD helicopter too while they were looking for him.

Wow…. Those guys are facing some serious charges.

Serious consequences for getting drunk and being stupid.

Federal Grand Jury Indicts Laser Pointer Suspects | MyFox Memphis | Fox 13 News

Federal Criminal Charges Filed In Mississippi River Tug Laser Pointing | 14USC89.COM

Wow. Those guys are facing some serious charges.

Serious consequences for getting drunk and being stupid.

Federal Grand Jury Indicts Laser Pointer Suspects | MyFox Memphis | Fox 13 News

Federal Criminal Charges Filed In Mississippi River Tug Laser Pointing | 14USC89.COM

Yup. What's the saying doesn't pay to be stupid and drunk? They pretty much are the poster children for what NOT to do. I can't even imagine if they had caused the MPD helicopter to crash...

Forgive me if this topic has been covered. I have a laser for my SR9 and wonder if it's legal for carry.

I have a laser on all my carry guns.

Just wondering , is the laser on your SR9 rail mounted? I have an SR9 also with a laser rail mounted. I don't carry it much because the gun will not fit my carry hostler, crossbreed, with the laser.

Dave beat me to posting the only law that I know of that deals with lasers. So as long as you don't point it at those you're not supposed to don't know of how/why it would be illegal.

Given that if you're pointing the laser sight at someone you're also pointing a gun at 'em, I would think that most folks with good sense would see the real problem there.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that the laser, even on your gun, isn't illegal, but what you do with it very well could be.

...which seems proper to me: Never mind the object, get after the poor behavior.

Anyway, the moral of the story is that the laser, even on your gun, isn't illegal, but what you do with it very well could be.

Pretty much what I meant....lol Just didn't mention that pointing on or off the weapon would be bad...but yes, especially bad if still on the weapon.

Given that if you're pointing the laser sight at someone you're also pointing a gun at 'em, I would think that most folks with good sense would see the real problem there.

...which seems proper to me: Never mind the object, get after the poor behavior.

Jamie's right, for once. :)

I have a laser on all my carry guns.

Just wondering , is the laser on your SR9 rail mounted? I have an SR9 also with a laser rail mounted. I don't carry it much because the gun will not fit my carry hostler, crossbreed, with the laser.

Yeah. It's a Viridian green laser. I've got a Fobus thats great & looks a lot better than the ones offered by Viridian. Might want to check 'em out. Her's a pic of mine.

005-3.jpg

Of course, I wouldn't be pointing the laser or pistol at anyone under normal circumstances. I'm a safe person and take handling and carrying a gun very serious. Guns are fun on the range and we all enjoy collecting them, but the thought of having to use one in defense should never be taken lightly. I would use one to protect myself or my family, but would rather loose my life than accidentally hurt someone else due to carelessness. See what happened here...y'all made me use big words and go into deep thoughts and stuff. My head hurts. :confused::lol: