Is it legal to carry a laser mounted on your pistol?

That's a new one on me... I've never heard of any sighting device being illegal to carry on any handgun. I'm certainly unaware of how a cop would "claim it", hauling you to jail or not. ( Unless you're doing something stupid with it like lighting up and scaring the "sheeple", but that's a whole 'nother issue. )

I'll be curious to see if anybody else here can shed any light on the subject, but I just don't see it being an issue or a problem.

I can't shed any light on the subject to speak of, but i can say that I have heard numerous police officers say that lasers are not legal. Along with supressors, short barreled rifles, and machine guns, even after you explain that there is no law in TN against lasers and there is no law again the other stuff as long as you properly submit the paperwork and are approved. I had one particular police officer say that he had never heard of the NFA paperwork and that if he found someone with a machine gun, he would arrest them, no matter what paperwork they had for it.

edited: and once at a range where I was shooting, I overheard a conversation between a police officer and a person shooting. The officer was going to arrest the person for having a machine gun. The person explained that first, he didn't have a machine gun, he was just shooting fast (which was the truth) and second, he owned a couple of machine guns, and they are legal because he had all the proper paperwork for them. The police officer argued with him for a couple of minutes then just finally walked off.

Edited by robbiev
  • Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Luvmyberetta: Sorry, but that tends to happen when you ask questions around here. Now you know why so many of us here are drinkers. :confused:

Robbiev: I'm sure that by now you're aware there are idiots in every job description and involved in any human endeavor you can think of... and also that some of 'em wear badges. And that all we can do most days is try to minimize the damage they do to us, while hoping that their own undoing comes along quickly. :lol:

yea that would be very dumb that a laser would be illegal i carry a lasermax internal laser on my glock and i know alot of cops,as i am going to school to become one and there has been no law told to me about this.as another member said some cops dont know half of what they think they do,and a laser is a sighting device.its like carrying a scope on a hunting rifle guess im going to jail...lol

...Robbiev: I'm sure that by now you're aware there are idiots in every job description and involved in any human endeavor you can think of... and also that some of 'em wear badges. And that all we can do most days is try to minimize the damage they do to us, while hoping that their own undoing comes along quickly. :confused:

There's one more bunch that has an amazing number of employees ignorant about their own rules, and that's the US Post Office.

Just a couple of weeks ago, I had a fat, sassy, and overpaid lady tell me I couldn't send paperback books via Media Mail, only hard backed ones. Wow. Mailman the other day told my mom to send junk mail back unopened, marked "return to sender", "because they have to pay for it on the other end", which is another falsehood.

I've done a LOT of USPS mailing off and on through the years, and consequently had to get pretty hip about all the ins and out, both domestic and international -- and have been told the most outrageous falsehoods by counter folks at both my small local and the larger main post offices in town.

- OS

Edited by OhShoot
Just a couple of weeks ago, I had a fat, sassy, and overpaid lady tell me I couldn't send paperback books via Media Mail, only hard backed ones.

Ya should'a thrown the book at her...

Ba da BING.

Had to get the frickin station manager out there. Which, btw, guarantees nothing as far as increase in knowledge.

The USPS is just another way this country rewards failure.

- OS

Some of the others being welfare, food stamps, unemployment, and.... wait for it...

The U.S. presidency, apparently. ( Why else make the Secret Service guard them the rest of their lives? )

currently going to troy university to get my bachelors in criminal justice and going to cleveland state police academy in jan.i run alot of shifts with dickson pd also.most cops around here are pretty street smart.good guys

Then your real education has yet to begin... :cheers:

BTW... I'd work on those writing/typing skills if I were you... or buy some chew-proof underdrawers. :drunk: