i have a question that pertains to parks i am a new carry permit holder and want to make sure that i am correct,ok i know we are legal to carry in some parks,are they also supposed to be posted the same as a business if i am NOTallowed to carry there?if not how are they posted?Also the law is still in affect that we can carry in a place that serves alcohol?of course as long as we arent consuming?i am trying to be correct on the laws as they change so much.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bkelm18
i have a question that pertains to parks i am a new carry permit holder and want to make sure that i am correct,ok i know we are legal to carry in some parks,are they also supposed to be posted the same as a business if i am NOTallowed to carry there?if not how are they posted?Also the law is still in affect that we can carry in a place that serves alcohol?of course as long as we arent consuming?i am trying to be correct on the laws as they change so much.

Yes it is legal now to carry in a place that serves alcohol provided you are not consuming and they are not posted. You may carry in National Parks and State Parks, those cannot be posted. If you see signs stating that no firearms are allowed, they generally don't apply to you. As far as local parks, this is what the TCA says about posting:

© (1) Each chief administrator of public recreational property shall display in prominent locations about the public recreational property a sign, at least six inches (6²) high and fourteen inches (14²) wide, stating:

MISDEMEANOR. STATE LAW PRESCRIBES A MAXIMUM PENALTY OF ELEVEN (11) MONTHS AND TWENTY-NINE (29) DAYS AND A FINE NOT TO EXCEED TWO THOUSAND FIVE HUNDRED DOLLARS ($2,500) FOR CARRYING WEAPONS ON OR IN PUBLIC RECREATIONAL PROPERTY.

(2) As used in this subsection ©, “prominent locations about public recreational property” includes, but is not limited to, all entrances to the property, any building or structure located on the property, such as restrooms, picnic areas, sports facilities, welcome centers, gift shops, playgrounds, swimming pools, restaurants and parking lots.

Edited by bkelm18
If you ever wander around Knoxville, city parks are off limits, but are NOT posted, due to a grandfather clause in the law.

There may be other towns around TN this way, but Knoxville is the only one of the big 4.

- OS

I used to go with the ex gf to the victor ashe dog park. One time when I wasn't with her some strange guy showed up and started causing trouble with everyone. He then started a fist fight with one of her friends. The guy then ran to his car saying he was going to get his gun. People at the park scrambled like roaches out of there. When the cops showed up her friend told the cop that it was stupid he could not carry there(he has a HCP) and the cop agreed and basically told him concealed was concealed and that it was better safe than sorry. Take that for what it's worth.

You may carry in National Parks (within TN naturally) <<snip>>. If you see signs stating that no firearms are allowed, they generally don't apply to you.

It's not just for National Parks in TN. You can carry in any National Park that is located in a state that recognizes TN permits.

It's true that posted signs don't apply for the outdoor National Park areas. Federal law prohibits carrying in posted buildings where National Park Service employees are working. So the ranger station/welcome center is almost always a no-no. Gift shops vary. Most of those are staffed by contractors, so you could carry there. I know the one up on Clingman's Dome is staffed by Park Rangers, is posted, and is off-limits. Most (if not all) hotels in the park system are operated by contractors. Those would be fine to carry in by federal law.

After that, I'm pretty sure state law kicks in. Since TN now allows a business to post, I would think any posted building in a National Park in TN would be off-limits. Does anyone know if that's true? If so, then a building in a park in a state that doesn't do postings would be OK, posted or not, so long as actual park service employees don't work there.

Guest bkelm18
It's not just for National Parks in TN. You can carry in any National Park that is located in a state that recognizes TN permits.

Yes you are correct. I was mis-remembering something from Bush's attempt.

I know this applied to schools but it seems like it applies to Metro civic centers also.

39-17-1311. Carrying weapons on public parks, playgrounds, civic centers and other public recreational buildings and grounds. -

(a) It is an offense for any person to possess or carry, whether openly or concealed, with the intent to go armed, any weapon prohibited by § 39-17-1302(a), not used solely for instructional, display or sanctioned ceremonial purposes, in or on the grounds of any public park, playground, civic center or other building facility, area or property owned, used or operated by any municipal, county or state government, or instrumentality thereof, for recreational purposes.

(iv) A person entering the property for the sole purpose of delivering or picking up passengers and who does not remove any weapon from the vehicle or utilize it in any manner;

So the way I understand this, you are legal to pick up someone at the gym at the Metro Civic Center,(public recreation, library in Bellvue), as long as you leave your gun in your vehicle. Like I said I knew it was legal at schools but didn't know it was legal at these civic centers.

I know this applied to schools but it seems like it applies to Metro civic centers also.

So the way I understand this, you are legal to pick up someone at the gym at the Metro Civic Center,(public recreation, library in Bellvue), as long as you leave your gun in your vehicle. Like I said I knew it was legal at schools but didn't know it was legal at these civic centers.

39-17-1311 as quoted specifically says it applies to weapons listed in 39-17-1302(a), which seem for the most part to be class-3 type items and melee weapons. Wouldn't that mean that 39-17-1311 doesn't apply to legally posessed handguns with a permit, or would 39-17-1302(a)(8) cover that? ISTM that handgun carry with a permit does have a common lawful purpose, otherwise we wouldn't have a permit process.

39-17-1302. Prohibited weapons. —

(a) A person commits an offense who intentionally or knowingly possesses, manufactures, transports, repairs or sells:

(1) An explosive or an explosive weapon;

(2) A device principally designed, made or adapted for delivering or shooting an explosive weapon;

(3) A machine gun;

(4) A short-barrel rifle or shotgun;

(5) A firearm silencer;

(6) Hoax device;

(7) A switchblade knife or knuckles; or

(8) Any other implement for infliction of serious bodily injury or death that has no common lawful purpose.

39-17-1311 as quoted specifically says it applies to weapons listed in 39-17-1302(a), which seem for the most part to be class-3 type items and melee weapons. Wouldn't that mean that 39-17-1311 doesn't apply to legally posessed handguns with a permit, or would 39-17-1302(a)(8) cover that? ISTM that handgun carry with a permit does have a common lawful purpose, otherwise we wouldn't have a permit process.

Yep. Old argument. And is logical.

Best of luck with that.

Ironically, to follow your bent, later in the statute, those with HCP can be banned from carrying handgun, but not those without HCP, since firearms are not mentioned otherwise. :D

- OS