The new hotness: Smith & Wesson M&P45 4-inch

TGO David

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Administrator
Nice new toy. Just curious why you chose this model instead of the compact if concealed carry was the intent?

If I was going to carry an 8-rd .45ACP it would be a 1911. I really don't have any issues with the length of the grip affecting concealment, and the grip is really no longer than that of say a Glock 19.

Ten rounds of .45ACP in a thin double-stack modern fighting pistol? Win.

If I was going to carry an 8-rd .45ACP it would be a 1911. I really don't have any issues with the length of the grip affecting concealment, and the grip is really no longer than that of say a Glock 19.

Ten rounds of .45ACP in a thin double-stack modern fighting pistol? Win.

Ah and agreed... :shrug:

Awesome pickup... Mike does great work - he graciously did some stippling (well, alot), on my M&P45, and it's seriously my favorite gun. Period. Congrats on the purchase - I wish that I'd found the M&P earlier, honestly, before I'd bought my XD in 2007.

• Administrator

Just by way of an update...

And perhaps to stir the pot a little with the John Moses Browning faithful, I received my Occidental Leather Phoenix Stronghold inside the waistband holster for the M&P 45 last week and now that my back is a little better, I'm finally able to carry using it. The comfort and concealabilty of this holster is right on par with that of the Milt Sparks Versa-Max 2 and the price point is about 50% of the VM2 and the wait time can be measured in days instead of months.

After shooting the M&P 45 some more at the range on Saturday and carrying it all weekend in the new leather, I honestly can say that this handgun has put the final nail in the coffin of me carrying any of my 1911's from this point forward. I will retain my Wilson Combat Professional for sentimental reasons, but it will continue to be a safe-queen and conversation piece.

My Kimber Warrior will probably become a project / range toy, or perhaps might be sold entirely to fund other endeavors.

^ I don't blame you...

I absolutely love my 1911s (so much so, that I have more than any other type of firearm that I own). But, I don't carry a 1911 daily, and never will. My M&P (or one of my Sigs) does everything that one of my nicer 1911s does... They just do it - better. :)

Guest tnxdshooter

I like the looks of it and want one. I prefer stainless pistols and have been waiting for S&W to come out with one. I have not seen a stainless anywhere so if I was to buy one of these bad boys I would have to have it hard chromed. I dont mean black stainless either. I want the silver colored stainless.

Edited by tnxdshooter
I like the looks of it and want one. I prefer stainless pistols and have been waiting for S&W to come out with one. I have not seen a stainless anywhere so if I was to buy one of these bad boys I would have to have it hard chromed. I dont mean black stainless either. I want the silver colored stainless.

Get a good polish and you have your stainless. Burwell does a good job.

Burwell Gunsmithing

• Administrator

As Smith said, you can polish them and end up with a stainless gun. However the reason that S&W doesn't do them in stainless is because they are meant to be service pistols and not gaudy accouterments. I've never understood the flashy pistol craze, although I did once have an XD treated with Robar's NP3 just to see if I liked it. It was slicker than snot and a little too shiny for carry use, IMO.

I do like a dull matte silver, though. Probably because they don't reflect light so badly.