decent cheap gun safe?

Guest carter

I'm looking for a good/decent gun safe that's not going to break the bank, was looking at patriot gun safes online...more so because they have financeing :lol: was wandering what you guys recommend, or if any of you have a patriot. I don't want a cheap gun locker, I need my stuff secure.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a 10 gun safe from Sentry. I bought it at Dick's Sporting Goods for around $300. I see they are up to over $400 now. Quality seems ok for a cheap safe. It's starting to get crowded and I might just have to add one to next years Christmas list.

yea am looking at the Sentry...probley going to put it in a closet... so don't want anything huge... just need a deterant not fort knox, don't think a real pro would be breaking in my house and spend an hour trying to get in it... just a spot for a few hand guns and a rifle or 2 in the future

i went with a Centurion by liberty. Price was right (~$400) and it seems to be pretty solid. I think it would stop most but not all. It weighs in around 360 lbs empty. In addition to that, its mounted in a closet. This means they would have to find the safe, penetrate it, and make the haul without the dogs chewing on them and the alarm going off 30 sec after entry. I feel ok about it. I only worry when i am out of town for a extended period of time

Guest 10mm4me

The Stack-On safes can be "up armored" pretty well and made very secure if you are half way creative. They costs about $100 and could be made very secure with a few bolts.

I would save your money and buy a GOOD safe. That's just my opinion. check this out.

Wow. Somebody broke into this guy's gun safe. - Glock Talk

Gun safes are like any other security measure. Given enough time and the right tools, you can cut through the hull of a ship. Add the fact that everybody's needs are different, and you find that it's tough to make any hard recommendations. You don't wanna buy a $2000 safe to hold $1500 worth of guns. A cheap safe is better than no safe at all. Fire proofing was a big deal to me.

To me, the hard part is figuring out how much safe to buy. We all start out thinking the $300 safe at Lowes is enough. It wasn't for me, but it may fit the Op's needs perfectly.

The best advice... Make sure it holds enough guns. Mine is full.

i have two winchester silverado series a 45 and a 22...very nice fire rating for the price.....a thief would have to get through my frontline defense a dauschund (hes mean as chit) 2 german shepards (144 and 126#'s respectively).......my local sheriffs response time of about 10-15 minutes (i have set it off 3 times myself)----then if he is good and takes my collection...he will have to smile because he is on camera!!!

Guest Tn.Mitch

Heres the link to mine at Academys sport store web site.they have it for $359.00,I got mine a few years back. Heres the link http://www.academy.com/index.php?page=content&target=products/outdoors/hunting/gun_safes&start=12&selectedSKU=0340-03031-1455

HPIM0922.jpg

HPIM0924.jpg

I put 2 extra shelves in mine because I dont own any long guns,also added lights.I would have paid more for one,but this is the smallest,not too heavy,and good quailty that could be taken up to a second floor bedroom closet and to fit in to it hrough the door frame.It weighs about 350 pounds empty.I believe you would be happy with this one.I hope this helps you. Happy Holidays To All...

Edited by Tn.Mitch
Need to look at the Cannon and Winchester safes from Tractor Supply.

+1 to that as they go on sale every holiday.

I picked up a 36 gun Cannon from them for 799.00 and it went on sale cheaper than that last week.

Just realized I posted under my partner's screen name; Ruprect got a cannon safe.

Edited by detswishman
Posting under wrong screen name
Guest bluecanary25

Maybe I missed a notice or something....

Is there a vendor here that sells safes?

If so, would it not be nice to do business with these folks?

While I try to get the best deal on my purchases, some specialty stores need customers to stay in business.

Disclaimor: I work fo da gubmint, so got no personal vested intrests in any bidness here!

Hope youse all had a merry Christmas, too!!!

Maybe I missed a notice or something....

Is there a vendor here that sells safes?

If so, would it not be nice to do business with these folks?

While I try to get the best deal on my purchases, some specialty stores need customers to stay in business.

Disclaimor: I work fo da gubmint, so got no personal vested intrests in any bidness here!

Hope youse all had a merry Christmas, too!!!

The Safe House in Nashville is a TGO vendor. That's where I got mine. I highly recommend them.

The Safe House - Commercial and Residential Safes - Safe Movers

Speaking of the Safe House, watch this video that is linked from their site...

!

pretty enlightening...seems like I'm going to have to spend more than I want to, which only delays the purchase longer :-(

pretty enlightening...seems like I'm going to have to spend more than I want to, which only delays the purchase longer :-(

i know how you feel. However, i felt that a "budget" safe was better than no safe til i could save up the $ for the one i want. I dont think i will have any problem selling the one i have now when the time comes to upgrade. I would rather have "something" now than nothing while waiting. Just my .02

i know how you feel. However, i felt that a "budget" safe was better than no safe til i could save up the $ for the one i want. I dont think i will have any problem selling the one i have now when the time comes to upgrade. I would rather have "something" now than nothing while waiting. Just my .02

A lot depends on how much your guns are worth. I agree that something is better than nothing. My guns were just worth a little to much to go with a budget box, and I kinda had the money to do it right.

Everyone's needs are different...I was going through the same questions as you probably are now (and whether even to buy a safe at all)...I settled on a "middle of the line" Browning safe from the Safe House and I've never regretted it. It was not inexpensive but neither are my weapons or other valuables I keep in it and frankly, with as many weapons as I own I felt I had an societal obligation to make them as secure as I possibly could. The Safe House was GREAT to deal with and wouldn't hesitate to deal with them again and I highly recommend them.

I know you are looking for inexpensive and as has been said, a budget safe is better than no safe but as an ultimate goal I'd be planning on moving up in quality as soon as I could.

Browning safe here as well. If you do buy from the Safe House, you should ask about his delivery too. Also not cheap, but got it where it was going without any damage to the safe, walls, floors, vehicles, or any of my friends.

BTW... don't forget to tell them you're a TGO member.

I had a small space hidden in a corner closet and filled it with a safe from Sentry. It happended to fill the space perfectly and the safe itself is diffucult to find. The confined location would make it more difficult to break in. It worked great for what my needs at the time.

I had a small space hidden in a corner closet and filled it with a safe from Sentry. It happended to fill the space perfectly and the safe itself is diffucult to find. The confined location would make it more difficult to break in. It worked great for what my needs at the time.

That's the thing. Everybody's needs are different. The pistol only safe posted earlier looks like a perfect solution for that guy's needs. A closet is great if you have the space. Mine won't fit.

yea, thinking about the sentry pistol safe previously posted with pictures...i love it with lights and pistol rack...only rifle i would have would be an AR which i could break down in 2 pieces if need be... it would be perfect for my closet and is a little more secure than the pre model, which only has 2 small bolts and a key lock, still debaiting though, it is going to be bolted to the floor and would be hard for a thief to get enough leverage i think to pry it open in a closet butted up to the left wall... thanks for all the feedback ;)

Guest GallatinTN

:)

yea, thinking about the sentry pistol safe previously posted with pictures...i love it with lights and pistol rack...only rifle i would have would be an AR which i could break down in 2 pieces if need be... it would be perfect for my closet and is a little more secure than the pre model, which only has 2 small bolts and a key lock, still debaiting though, it is going to be bolted to the floor and would be hard for a thief to get enough leverage i think to pry it open in a closet butted up to the left wall... thanks for all the feedback :)

I agree with you, but I like the idea of having some "fire rating" too. It would be one less then to deal with in case of a fire. I am sure that adding the lights would breach any "fire rating", unless it was equipped with it originally.

:)

I am in the same position you are in, looking and wondering how much bang I need for the buck!