Gun safe question

Guest Fwdftw

So im looking to invest in a gun safe in the future... my question is i dont wanna bolt to the ground.. but possibly studs in the wall.. Would it be worth the hassle of getting something like this? http://www.basspro.com/RedHead-Gun-S...01705/-1499772 or just simply something like this??

http://www.basspro.com/StackOn-8Gun-...59671/-1043457

i dont own that many.. but id just like to be able to lock em up if ya know what i mean.. i dont like leavin the rifles out Thanks!

PS: ive never owned a gunsafe so im a noob when it comes to this

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been looking at safes too and doing a lot of research. The general consensus seems to be the following:

At least 10 ga. steel. 8 ga. is better. The typical ones in the big-box shops are usually 12 ga or thinner. The links in the OP have expired on Bass Pro's site, so I can't tell what those are. Some pics linked form a recent related thread here on TGO showed a pick-axe attack on a 12 ga and an 8 ga. safe. The 12 ga. was opened like a tin can. The 8 ga had chips in the paint and some gouges in the metal. I know which I'd prefer.

Dial locks seem to be preferred over digital locks, mostly due to longevity. It makes sense. I don't think I've ever seen any piece of electronic equipment that I've expected to last 10 years, much less a lifetime or two.

Additional stuff like super-reinforced plates over the locking mechanism, double fire protection, additional locking bolts, all seem to come down to cost vs. risk. If you have a $50,000 collection, no alarm system, no dogs, and don't live 10 minutes from a police station, pay the extra for the 1/2" steel protection plate. Got a couple of $120 Wal-Mart specials and some family photos to store? Don't bother.

If you have to choose between a feature and thicker steel, get the thicker steel.

A neat idea for additional fire protection of cash/documents/media is to get a fire-resistant lock box. Put the stuff in that, then put the box in the safe.

I found a reasonably priced safe at Lowes. All a safe will do is protect against fire and slow down a thief. With the safes in closets and several dogs most will go an easier job. You may want talk to your agent about a rider on your homeowners insurance.

What's your purpose for having the safe? Is it to help prevent theft if someone breaks in, or is it just to keep the firearms out of sight from house guests or kids?

If you want to prevent theft, you need one of those monster 500lb safes. It needs to be so big and heavy as to be more trouble than it's worth. A light-weight safe will either be broken into or torn from the studs/floor and opened later.

If you just want to keep your goodies out of sight, the light-weight kind is fine. I have the simple Stack-on key-locked safe for rifles (with trigger locks on all rifles) and a small electronic locked pistol safe for those that stay loaded. I have no illusions that either will deter theft. My only goal is to keep them out of my boys hands when I'm not around.

Guest bkelm18

I have one of the Stack Ons. The 10 gun I believe. I've added a few features to it to make it less appealing to steal. It's just to prevent a smash and grab though. A determined thief will steal what they want. That's what insurance is for.

I am in the same market Ray, my biggest issue is finding a place downstairs to put it. I don't want to put a heavy ass safe filled with guns, ammo, etc in an upstairs room. And the "it's the same as 5 large guys standing there" explanation of why it is OK I see all over the internet I don't personally agree with when you don't know anything about the construction of the house.

Same reasons, safe place to store them and other important items, and help prevent theft.

I didn't wan't to bolt through my hardwood floors so I had my alarm company install a magnetic switch. It feeds into the safe through small opening used for supplying electricity to the interior light kit. It is ALWAYS armed. Combine that with the 1,470 lb total weight and dog makes me feel ok about not bolting it down. Crazy part is, I don't have much in it. Just figured it was an investment for a lifetime. Plus, there is no such thing as a safe that's too big.

I didn't wan't to bolt through my hardwood floors so I had my alarm company install a magnetic switch. It feeds into the safe through small opening used for supplying electricity to the interior light kit. It is ALWAYS armed. Combine that with the 1,470 lb total weight and dog makes me feel ok about not bolting it down. Crazy part is, I don't have much in it. Just figured it was an investment for a lifetime. Plus, there is no such thing as a safe that's too big.

Damn and I was stoked just to find out our new place's garage door was armed. That is a damn good idea.

Ray, I'll shoot you the list tomrrow.

I'm looking for a second one also, but this time I want one that is fireproof and that I'm able to hide. My biggest fear is me or wife being forced to open one. We have 3 great danes and house is well armed but.I had a gun to my head as a youth "wrong place wrong time" and best I remember pretty much willing to do anything that was asked of me. Any way I'd like to be able to have secure one that was welll hidden. Maybe fake wall or something

The hidden, back-up safe is a great idea. That will also be my next safe purchase. Fernando Aguirre makes a similar point in his book The Modern Survival Manual: Surviving the Economic Collapse. An easy read I highly recommend. Content is based on his first hand experience of the 2001 economic collapse in Argentina.

BTW - I didn't mention in my previous post that my floor is supported to sustain the weight of the safe. I'm fortunate to have access to my crawl space. There, I installed 6x6s and four structural jacks to accommidate the load. I found the decision of safe placement to be more difficult than I anticipated. For me, it was all about striking a good balance between easy access and keeping it out of common areas in the house.

All of the safes you find in the big box stores are made in china and are of questionable security. I will start and list the various safes and where they are sold.

TSC: Cannon , can be pried open in under 1 minute with a standard crowbar, look at the bolts or really the lack of bolts and the flemsy construction. Unfortunately TSC seems to be stocking the cheapest products that their buyers can find.

Dicks: Stack on, they make a really good thin metal cabinet that is like a thick cardboard box. Their safes are very cheaply made, the locks are very poor quality also.

Academy: Cannon American Eagle, same as TSC

Costco: Winchester, looks impressive with a thick door but very weak design where it counts and they have had a problem with the chinese fireboard that had a tendence to mold due to an excessive amount of moisture in the board.

Sams: Remington or any other cheap safe they can carry, same as the above mentioned safes.

Lowes: Liberty , this is the cheapest safe that Liberty makes and is one of the few safes that they still make in china. They make alot of other quality safes but this isn't one of them.

All of these stores sell safes on price not quality !

I have serviced and worked on all of these safes and can tell you from first hand experience the lack of security that they provide. If you just need a metal box well by all means try one of the these safes but just remember that you get what you pay for.

Security should not be one dimensional, whether its a safe or alarm or locks on your doors , it should be layered to provide the best protection. If you do get a safe, get the best you can afford with the thickest metal and best fire rating AND from a reputable company that stands behind their products.

MB

The Safe House

Edited by av88tor
All of the safes you find in the big box stores are made in china and are of questionable security. I will start and list the various safes and where they are sold.

TSC: Cannon , can be pried open in under 1 minute with a standard crowbar, look at the bolts or really the lack of bolts and the flemsy construction. Unfortunately TSC seems to be stocking the cheapest products that their buyers can find.

Dicks: Stack on, they make a really good thin metal cabinet that is like a thick cardboard box. Their safes are very cheaply made, the locks are very poor quality also.

Academy: Cannon American Eagle, same as TSC

Costco: Winchester, looks impressive with a thick door but very weak design where it counts and they have had a problem with the chinese fireboard that had a tendence to mold due to an excessive amount of moisture in the board.

Sams: Remington or any other cheap safe they can carry, same as the above mentioned safes.

Lowes: Liberty , this is the cheapest safe that Liberty makes and is one of the few safes that they still make in china. They make alot of other quality safes but this isn't one of them.

All of these stores sell safes on price not quality !

I have serviced and worked on all of these safes and can tell you from first hand experience the lack of security that they provide. If you just need a metal box well by all means try one of the these safes but just remember that you get what you pay for.

Security should not be one dimensional, whether its a safe or alarm or locks on your doors , it should be layered to provide the best protection. If you do get a safe, get the best you can afford with the thickest metal and best fire rating AND from a reputable company that stands behind their products.

MB

The Safe House

What would your recommendation be, as far as brand. Its a shame I'm 200 miles away. Looking for secondary "Moderate size" safe that I'm trying not to make so obvious.

Edited by laktrash
Guest Bronker
my whole theory is.. isnt it better to have one of the chinese 400$ safes vs stuffing your guns in a closet ?

Yes.

I have a Liberty I bought 15 years ago that has served me well. I'm not disillusioned into thinking that it is fool-proof. I am 100% positive that 3 or 4 men, a dolly and about 10 minutes can move my safe from house to truck. We've done it.

But, they must get past my ADT, my nosy neighbors, and some other 'quiet features' in place.

Beats a closet or a wooden cabinet.

I'd say any safe is better than no safe. Then again, my uncle who had some VERY nice guns had them so well hidden that sometimes even he couldn't find them (so the risk that someone was going to just walk in and steel them was pretty minimal).

I would suggest that it mostly comes down to why you are buying a safe.

A box with a lock may keep firearms out of a child's hands when mom/pop isn't around but if you have a fire, your gun collection will likely be gone.

If you are concerned about theft and/or fire then a low-cost safe is probably not worth what you'll pay even if you pay little.

I have a Liberty And a lower end Canon. The next one will be a Liberty!!!

I also have a liberty But I am looking for a smaller unique "not too small" safe that can be more securely hidden, without having to have 3-4 men to move it around.I don't want to give up security for size.

Edited by laktrash