Gun safe question

Guest Fwdftw

my whole theory is.. isnt it better to have one of the chinese 400$ safes vs stuffing your guns in a closet ?

For those of you in this camp, Costco has an on-line sale going on the Bighorn Classic 19.1 cu ft safe. The safe has a 30 min fire rating (careful here - fire ratings are often not calculated the same way), electronic lock, LED puck light and door organizer. $599.99 includes shipping and handling. This is no Browning, but better than a closet.

Costco - BIGHORN Classic 5928ECC-SPL Safe

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For those of you in this camp, Costco has an on-line sale going on the Bighorn Classic 19.1 cu ft safe. The safe has a 30 min fire rating (careful here - fire ratings are often not calculated the same way), electronic lock, LED puck light and door organizer. $599.99 includes shipping and handling. This is no Browning, but better than a closet.

Costco - BIGHORN Classic 5928ECC-SPL Safe

If you are going with the LOW end big box store safe I would stay away from the electronic locks that they offer. All of them are very cheap and knock off chinese locks that have high failure rates. You get what you pay for.

MB

my whole theory is.. isnt it better to have one of the chinese 400$ safes vs stuffing your guns in a closet ?

You can pry open one of the POS chinese safes about as quickly as you could pop the door open on your closet door, so I guess I would save my money and buy a better lock for my closet door.........

MB

Guest mrkirker

I've a unit bolted with studs to a concrete floor. Former LEO advised me on a location and security level. He said that most theves might spend a week checking out a house, only to rush through in ten minutes or less. (It seems they have a fear of being 'caught in the act'.) I don't 'advertise' that I possess firearms (no NRA stickers, etc), so my main concern is fire. Active alarms and two large angry dogs are my first and second layer of security.

Ditto on the mechanical lock comment. My lock smith has a box of the electronic units under his workbench. He calls units with those his "vacation plan".

Consider adding a remote wireless thermometer, and a golden rod to your unit. You can monitor temperture and humidity without opening the door, and the golden rod doesn't ever need 'drying' out.

For me, one of the biggest benefits of a safe* is the corrosion protection you can achieve. I've used a goldenrod clone in my safe for the last 4+ years and have had NO corrosion problems and no maintenance to the goldenrod. I haven't used my dehumidifier canisters or RIG in quite a while.

I still lightly oil and wipe down my guns when I put them in the safe.

[* Residential Security Container :)]

Guest Knightsr25

I loved my Fort knox safes. I sold them when I built my new home with a GSA spec. hidden underground vault with a used bank vault door. Lots of concrete, rebar and a 2800lb. door at least ensure me they wont walk off with it. Like anything else it isnt impenetrable, but it would be hard to find just to begin the break in. The fact is most home safes have 10 times more door entry resistance than body entry resistance.

I loved my Fort knox safes. I sold them when I built my new home with a GSA spec. hidden underground vault with a used bank vault door. Lots of concrete, rebar and a 2800lb. door at least ensure me they wont walk off with it. Like anything else it isnt impenetrable, but it would be hard to find just to begin the break in. The fact is most home safes have 10 times more door entry resistance than body entry resistance.

Boy, I'd love to see that setup.