FN FS2000 How do you like them?

JeffsSig

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not owned one but was looking a while back at purchasing one. The one thing I kept hearing was if you had a malfunction the weapon is impossible to clear without breaking it down. I have no first hand experience with one but something to look into before purchasing it could have been internet rumors.

I have shot several, never had a jam in any of them and probably shot or been there when my friends were shooting them in excess of 1k rounds.

I know that's not a lot, but it's all I can offer.

They are all in .223.

They cannot use standard Magpul PMAG's. They can only use USGI-type or the new MAGPUL mags designed for guns like the FS2000 without the ridges on the side of the mag.

Ergonomics suck in my opinion. The guns shoulders fine, but it feels extremely awkward with no real place to put your supports hand that will stay secure. That said I like bullpups like the MSAR and such, but I need a secure place for my support hand.

The only ones I shot did not have the factory optic, but rather had EO-Techs mounted on the rail, but were extemely accurate.

Hope this helps.

Guest moreland281

I have one (I'm actually looking to sell)

Here is my 0.02

Its rated at 5.56 and does not like low powder 223 (It will cycle it but you have to put it on gas setting #2 for low power rounds)

Its shoulders great and balances very well

BUT

The trigger pull sucks, I have never had nor fired a bull pup till this one and what I have read the trigger is awful on ALL bull pups. It feels like its a 15lb pull (and compaired to my AR which is at 3lbs its a BIG diffrence)

I have the optical version (Which you can remove and put an optic of choice on BUT it does have a polymer rail, where the tactical version has a metal rail.

It will use any USGI magazine.

The 20rd magazines are a little "short" in my oppion but if you install a ranger plate on the 20rd it fits fine.

The reason behind this is, the FS is a "sealed" system with everything shut and magazine installed it is suppost to help keep dust, sand, etc.. from entering the system. With all that there is a seal you must push the magazine thru to seat it, and they are NOT drop free so you must actually pull the magazine out. You can remove the seal and there are instructions online on how to do this but to me it defeats the purpose of the weapon.

If you are close you are welcome to shoot it as long as I still have it and it hasn't sold.

I'm in murfreesboro area.

Guest Orion6

I had one for a while. I had dreamed of owning one for a couple of years, but overall I don't think I'd take it over an AR. It's a novel and well designed (and quality) weapon, but not worth what they cost.

Thanks everyone I looked at one (well 3 of them) at the gun show today.

Im on the fence.

Since I'm buying moreland's FS2000 this week he can't let you shoot his. :dunno: However, I've been meaning to get over to Frontier Arms to do some shooting which I think is in your neck of the woods so if you want to meet up sometime (and assuming Frontier will let us shoot rifles there) you are more than welcome to come and shoot some rounds with me.

I've got a couple of SCARs which I really enjoy shooting and I've been wanting to have an FS2000 for a while but hadn't gotten around to getting one until now...I've looked at them many times and I like the way they feel shouldered which is about as much first hand knowledge I have with them at the moment. ;)

Guest Lester Weevils

I like the look and design of the FS2000's.

As is plainly obvious I don't know nothin, but concluded that rifle front vertical grips are more ergonomic compared to twisting the wrist at a less natural angle to grasp a fore-stock.

Vertical fore-grips are not the very most essential piece of a rifle, but it would be a mark against the FS2000 for me, because there doesn't appear to be an elegant way to add a front vertical grip.

Was cleaning my paltry collection of rifles the other night and had em all laid out on the bed. Noticed something--

The shortest was an MSAR STG 16" barrel bullpup, and of course the longest were a couple of long-barrel bolt rifles.

With the stock collapsed, the 16" barrel AR was not much longer than the bullpup, but with the stock expanded the AR was significantly longer than the MSAR.

The surprise was the Beretta Storm Rifle. The Storm is not a bullpup and the bolt is significantly farther forward compared to the MSAR. However, the Beretta is only about an inch longer total length than the MSAR! The Beretta is a very short rifle for not being a bullpup.

Am not an expert on all the different rifles, but wonder if there are other non-bullpup models that are pretty short like the Beretta Storm?

I'm assuming that "short" is a major desirable spec of the bullpup design. Short OAL was what drew me to the MSAR, but maybe other people do not care about the OAL and they simply crave a rifle that lights off the rounds right under your cheek? :)

I got to lining the rifles up on the bed, comparing various dimensions. The Length of Pull on the Beretta Storm is almost exactly the same as my two conventional wood-stock bolt guns and the wood-stock lever gun. The AR also has a similar Length of Pull to the other rifles, with the stock fully expanded.

The Length of Pull on the MSAR is longer than any of the other rifles I have. It is not an unpleasantly long Length of Pull. I hadn't noticed in shooting the MSAR that it seems to have a longer than average LOP.

Speculation-- Perhaps federal firearms regs are such that if the other dimensions of the MSAR were kept the same, but the LOP was reduced to a more "standard" dimension, that this would make the rifle too short to be legal in the USA? If the MSAR had about the same LOP as the other rifles, then it would be a couple of inches shorter.

Anyway, the Beretta Storm LOP is the same as a conventional wood-stock rifle so you are not losing anything for "shooting comfort" on the back end, and the action is far enough forward that the rounds are not lighting up under your cheek. Haven't extensively analyzed why the OAL of the Storm is so remarkably short, but the Storm is kinda like a non-bullpup bullpup. It is just barely longer than the MSAR.

Guest moreland281

You can add a vertical grip to the FS2000, FN released a rail system for it (its expensive but isn't everything FN?)

Anyways the Rail system does weigh 1.5lbs or so.

The way it balances as it its great, So I don't know if the 1.5lbs would throw it off or not.

The FS has a 17" barrel buts it doens't look or feel like it. Compaired to my SBR AR with a 10.5" barrel they are both about the same lenght.

Edited by moreland281
Guest moreland281
Since I'm buying moreland's FS2000 this week he can't let you shoot his. :) However, I've been meaning to get over to Frontier Arms to do some shooting which I think is in your neck of the woods so if you want to meet up sometime (and assuming Frontier will let us shoot rifles there) you are more than welcome to come and shoot some rounds with me.

I've got a couple of SCARs which I really enjoy shooting and I've been wanting to have an FS2000 for a while but hadn't gotten around to getting one until now...I've looked at them many times and I like the way they feel shouldered which is about as much first hand knowledge I have with them at the moment. :D

maybe RobertNashville Will let you shoot his :)

Thanks everyone I looked at one (well 3 of them) at the gun show today.

Im on the fence.

This is a review I happened to find and of special interest is the trigger modification discussed; it might be worth taking a look at. (LINK: FNH FS2000 Review and Operation - Zombie Survival & Defense Wiki )

If any of you who are more knowledgable about this weapon and/or these types of modifications have any insight I'd appreciate hearing it...were I to do this mod I'd almost certainly have a gunsmith do it for me!

Guest cypher235
How do you like yours?

Ive not shot a bull pup but I have the itch for one.

Compare it to the AR.

I see a FN FS2000 online for 1600$ NIB from a dealer in WA.

10.00$ shipping and no tax

Are they all 223s?

Check out cdnn sports catalog page 16.

CDNN Sports, Inc. 2010-6 Catalog

They have them selling for $1399

Guest Gopher6

I have one and find it very accurate and very easy to shoot well. I have no problem with the front handguard, unless your hands are slippery, getting a good grip shouldn't be a problem. Besides, you can add a Surefire light, the cutouts are already scored inside the guard. I don't like the accesssory tri-rail, I think it ruins the lines of the gun. It's one of the few rifles that can be fired accurately one handed. Equipted with an Aimpoint T-1, I can shoot in the low 90's at 100 yards on an SR-1 target.

The 1 in 7 twist barrel means you can shoot the heavy match and defense ammo. The only misfeeds I've had have been because of bad ammo. Cleaning is easy, it's not necessary to fully strip it every time. I've only had my trigger group out a couple of times since I've had the gun. Also, the trigger gets better with use.

I like the seal on the mag well because I don't want my mags on the ground. I'm old school, if you shuck your mags like is popular with the gameboys, pretty soon, you've got a nice single shot club.

I also own a MSAR, It's handier but not as accurate as the FS and not near the quality.