Sighting in mini 14, iron sights

Steelharp

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Short answer is no. The iron sights on an AR are 2 1/2" above the bore. The sights on the Mini are an inch above the bore. Ballistic coefficients also vary, which also comes into play. Here's a pic. Both are a Federal 55 gr boat tail zeroed at 300m. One is from an AR with the bore 2 1/2 inches below the sight plane, and the other is 1 inch.

What kind of ammo do you normally shoot? It's going to make a difference.

223-300mzero.jpg

All I have here in .223 is the WWB target variety. So, just put my target at 100 and go with it there?

That bullet has a BC that is significantly lower than a boat tail, so the 34m zero wouldn't hold true even with an AR. Also note that published velocities are (usually) for a 24 inch barrel, so your real muzzle velocity is going to be less.

The accuracy of your Mini can be a factor too. Depending on the gun, it could have pretty huge groups at 300 yards even with a good zero. What size groups does it shoot at 100 yards off a good rest? Gimme a few and I'll do a little work on it. For now, this is a useful tool...

Winchester Ammunition - Ballistics Calculator

Here's what I would do with a Mini for the white box load. These are for a BC of .255, with muzzle velocities of 3240, 3140, and 3040. Set the sights to shoot 1 1/4" high at 100 yards (175 yd zero). That will keep you within 1 1/2" of you point of aim out to 200 yards. Note that it kinda goes to hell past 200, but you can tweak that for your own uses. As you push past 175 yards, your error in point of aim will increase.

223-300mzero-1.jpg

Edited by mikegideon
Guest 5Legion

I've zerod a few Minis with irons @ 25m, I use one of the big "shoot n see" targets and adjust the group high - at the top of the red bull, which is about 5-6 inches high or so. Then I confirm at 100M and I'm always spot on, maybe a tad high which will cover you for 100M+ shots on a man-size target. Mini with iron sight is a 200m carbine IMO. Anyway, that's always worked for me.

5L

Though I'm using a 3-9 scope, my 581 series Mini is super scientifically zeroed at 122.5 yards, because that's the middle distance at our mighty Norris range.

Makes it 2-4" high at 50 and 2-4" low at 200. All depending on which ammo. 200 is longest we have there.

Close enough for my fun and 'bout any form of SHTF, too, methinks.

- OS

I have heard this: "Old rule of thumb is, 1" low at 25 yards. Battlesight zero good to 285 yards." Everyone's info seems to contradict another's... I'm more confused than ever...

What's "battlesight zero"? Like, minute of torso? If so, zeroing at about any distance will do that with .223, stays so flat.

- OS

Ok... I really wish I could get a handle on all this ballistics/arc stuff... don't know why it baffles me... you guys that know stuff impress me... so, if I set my target out at 50yds... that's doable at GGC, no problem... and I get it, say, 1-2" high at 50... can you tell me approx. where that would put it at 100 and 150 yds?

as a basic rule a 50 yard 0 with your 223 will put you as u said about 2" high and on at 200. no this is not 100% but for most it will be very close. about 3" high at 100 would be close to a 300 yard zero.

try this and see how it works for you.

of course the X ring shooter would be unhappy with this.

as a basic rule a 50 yard 0 with your 223 will put you as u said about 2" high and on at 200. no this is not 100% but for most it will be very close. about 3" high at 100 would be close to a 300 yard zero.

try this and see how it works for you.

of course the X ring shooter would be unhappy with this.

This is close enough! You're gonna have to verify it with your gun and ammo