Need some help valuing an old percusion rifle

Guest gcrookston

Guest gcrookston

The lock is "Henry Parker Warranted". I understand Mr. Parker was a maker of locks in NJ and died in 1860. Set Triggers, ornately engraved patch box, half stocked with silver buttons for the keys and rod. Missing rod. a small letter "R" is carved into the stock just behind the trigger guard tang. Nipple is crushed. Approximately .50 calibre. Missing rear sight, ram rod, rod retainer loop, one screw for the trigger guard. Gun is uncleaned. The works function perfectly. It was acquired by a family member in Utah sometime between 1890-1910.

This appears to be "in the Pennsylvania style", but other than what I googled, I know nothing.

DSC00212.jpg

DSC00214.jpg

DSC00213.jpg

DSC00215.jpg

DSC00216.jpg

DSC00217.jpg

DSC00218.jpg

DSC00219.jpg

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty rifle! Many of these rifles were built up by gunsmiths from factory made parts, like the Parker locks. Sometimes the gunsmith put their name on them. a common place was on the top barrel flat behind the rear sight. You may want to use a stiff plastic brush with a light oil to carefully clean that area and see if you can spot any markings. Try to be careful not to remove the finish as it may hurt the value. Knowing the maker of the rifle is critical to putting a value on it.

Interesting combination of iron, brass, and German Silver furniture. German Silver is a copper/nickel alloy that was common in that period as it has an attractive finish that resists tarnish.

Guest mrkirker

Appears to be rifled musket, made from trade parts, as opposed to all hardware being built in a master smith's shop (think 'kit gun'). As you noted, there are many parts missing, which affects the value of this piece. Diff to see clearly, but the inletting appears to be well done, however, the condition of the wood leaves something to be desired. Terrible that the rear sight and rod are missing! Was probably a strong 'mid-grade' piece in its prime.

As a wall hanger, something in the 500 to 700 range, on a good day.

Guest gcrookston

Just back from visiting an advanced collector in this area. Heck... Here are some hints that I overlooked:

Inside patch door:

DSC00233.jpg

rear of trigger guard, not an "R" but a "B"

DSC00228.jpg

under barrel:

DSC00227-1.jpg

The gun was made sometime between 1835 and 1845.

Here's a reproduction:

https://www.checkpointcharlies.com/showproduct.aspx?Productid=7074&categoryid=20

It was built by John Moses Browning's father, Jonathan.

Cool muzzleloader! I don't have a clue as to the value or history of it, but I sure enjoyed seeing it. I don't know if you are a member of smith-wessonforum.com, but there's a guy there by the name of gizamo who could tell you all you ever wanted to know about it. There are others there who would chime in with helpful info as well.

Guest gcrookston

What I found out this morning is it was a customer's order gun, built to their specifications in .50 caliber. Browning signed most of his guns between the barrel tang and the rear sight. The area on this gun where his signature appears is obscured by rust, but gentle cleaning should reveal "J Browning". He also marked the barrels he made with a "B" underneath, as well as other parts of his making (on this rifle it's the stock and patch box, though the lock was ordered). The gun was mostly likely built during his stay in Quincy ILL (1834-42), but may have also been made in Nauvoo, ILL (1842-46) where his old gun shop is now a museum.

The gun is in the Pennsylvania/Ohio style, but is also influenced by the Plains style, due to it's large calibre, half stock and twin barrel keys. Because of this, it quite likely was made in Nauvoo for a fellow Mormon heading to Utah. The gun was expensive for it's time with a high quality Back Action, engraving and Silver accents, probably costing around $25.00 (trade rifles of the same period sold for $5.00 - $10.00).

An earlier full stock, .43 caliber musket made by J. Browning sold last October for $5,500. But it was not the more desirable "Mountain Gun", which this one is. No J. Browning Mountain guns have come to auction in years, but it is rumored the Browning family paid $10,000 for the one that resides in the Nauvoo Museum.

I assume the barrel is rifled? If it were mine, i think I'd find a competent gunsmith to recreate and replace the missing parts and clean it up. Then, I'd buy some patches, balls, caps, and Goex black powder, and I'd deer hunt with the coolest muzzleloader in the 'hood.