IWB vs. OWB

IWB vs. OWB  

111 members have voted

1. 1. IWB vs. OWB

• IWB
    • OWB

The MTAC has more spit and polish. It is nicer finished. It also has a padding on the backside.

These are IWB holsters and I dont give two sh*** what they look like, I care what they wear like. The MTAC has a narrower stance and is slightly thicker. With some pants that might make a difference with a bigger bulge. The Crossbreed has a wider stance and is thinner conversely. This means there is more holster on your skin. Perhaps in the dead of summer this makes it hotter.

The kydex of the MTAC is is thicker, but I have never known of either to break, though over the long haul both will. The MTAC kydex is easier to replace. I personally think the CBST clips are better, but don't really have a negative opinion of the MTAC clips. Neither move on me.

The MTAC is not significantly better built. It is better finished out. I have worn both of mine in some terrible conditions and both are still going strong. Both are very versatile and highly adjustable. Both are very comfortable. OK I will speak a sacrilege that I never would have thought I would say 5 years ago: I find either one to be as comfortable, and easier to break in, as my beloved M Sparks and TT holsters. If you want to talk better built and refer it to the way it looks, neither of these holsters hold a candle to the Sparks, TT, Bullard, various other well made leather beauties.

I personally like a leather backed kydex holster for IWB, but some really like the extremely thin nature of the kydex holsters similar to the Raven concealment.

Edited by Warbird
  • Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Guy N. Cognito
You owe it to yourself to seek additional opinions on CrossBreeds. The company has a wildly popular reputation for quality.

And yes, I've owned both. Great quality and function for both.

I bought the Crossbreed based on that same reputation. I was gravely dissappointed. Sometimes, a picture is worth a thousand words:

DSC_0134.jpg

DSC_0135.jpg

DSC_0136.jpg

DSC_0137.jpg

DSC_0138.jpg

DSC_0139.jpg

DSC_0140.jpg

In the first few pictures, I try to capture the lack of quality in these holsters. The pictures aren't in the best light, but the "combat cut" in the leather is extremely rough and sharp. The edge is uneven and poorly cut. You may also notice that the kydex has a very sharp edge around the trigger guard. So sharp, in fact, that it cut my finger. The kydex has zero adjustability, unless you want to whip out your heat gun. Screws and studs are exposed on the back and managed to put a nice blister on my hip (which is not a great place to have a blister, btw.)

Picture of one of my MTACs included for comparison. Also note that additional kydex bodies can be purchased for $30, allowing the use of more than one gun (hence the G30 / M&P markings I added on the back.) These holsters are almost the exact same price but, IMHO, in a completely different league.

I must strongly disagree with the above statement. I can name 10 or more quality gun shops within a half hour to 45 min. drive from Mahoney's. All of which have a fair selection, fair prices, and friendly/professional staff.
THIS...I've GOTTA see...NAME THEM!!!...please!!!

Oh and ALL 10 too...

Guest Bronker

Guy, I would call that exceptional. I recently sold mine, but I'll say that the craftsmanship on mine was remarkably better than that one.

I'm curious how old your Crossbreed is. I ask because about 3-4 years ago, Crossbreeds were not as wildly popular as they are now. I bought mine about then, and wonder if lately the call for mass-production has given way to sloppy craftsmanship by less-skilled labor?

Guest Guy N. Cognito
Guy, I would call that exceptional. I recently sold mine, but I'll say that the craftsmanship on mine was remarkably better than that one.

I'm curious how old your Crossbreed is. I ask because about 3-4 years ago, Crossbreeds were not as wildly popular as they are now. I bought mine about then, and wonder if lately the call for mass-production has given way to sloppy craftsmanship by less-skilled labor?

About 6 months old.

The owner of the company did not think mine was exceptional and assured me that it was supposed to be that way. He assured me that it was up to their quality standards and that there was nothing wrong with it. He assured me that, since it was meant to be stuck in my pants, that it really didn't matter what it looked like. :lol: He also told me that you "can't get a clean edge on horsehide." ;):rolleyes: When I told him that I would like to return it for a refund........let's just say he acted EXACTLY like I would expect someone who slaps their religion all over their product to act.

I would also add that, when I ordered the product, I was told that I could have the clips without the crosses. When it arrived........well, you can see that above.

Guest Guy N. Cognito

Canvas?

If you're looking for a nylon belt, I would suggest either a Wilderness 5 stitch or the Ares Gear Ranger belt. I was initially hesitant to order the Ares, as it is entirely too tacticool for my tastes and has a 6 week backlog. It has turned out to be the best belt I've ever owned. Very sturdy and comfortable.

If you could.name some I.would really appreciate it! Not trying to be smart just new to the gun buying world and haven't been around to a lot of shops...my dad mostly bought at gun shows

If you're just thinking about accessories, then I'm not sure how many of these places would be helpful. I generally buy things like that online. If you're just wanting gun shops that are close to JC, then these come to mind. There are some others that I've never been to, but I won't comment on them.

Elizabethton - Tri-Cities Gun Depot and H&S

Jonesborough - Byrds

Bristol - Volunteer

Kingsport - Gunslingers and Gun Rack

Blountville - Gun Runners

JC - Mahoney's, Monte's

Opinions on these places will vary, but I'd visit any of them again. In particular, it seems that a lot of people don't like Monte. He can come across as a loudmouthed, know it all, Yankee. He doesn't carry much in that tiny shop either. But, if you can get along with him and know what you want, I've found him to be very helpful.

As was mentioned before, I would suggest you try the Gun Depot first since they support the forum.

Canvas?

If you're looking for a nylon belt, I would suggest either a Wilderness 5 stitch or the Ares Gear Ranger belt. I was initially hesitant to order the Ares, as it is entirely too tacticool for my tastes and has a 6 week backlog. It has turned out to be the best belt I've ever owned. Very sturdy and comfortable.

Oh I meant nylon. I'll check those out. Thanks!

Another gun shop in Bristol I like to stop by is Sam's Gun and Pawn shop. They are probably 2 miles from Volunteer Gun shop (closer to JC) and have a pretty wide selection of guns in stock. I haven't purchased a gun from them, but have had 2 transferred to them from Bud's.

The MTAC was my first holster and, despite developing the "drawer-full" that everyone has, it remains my favorite and the go to for my EDC. Having carried a few different guns (XD, USP, Glock) the ability to get a new Kydex piece, rather than a whole holster, is nice.

Another gun shop in Bristol I like to stop by is Sam's Gun and Pawn shop. They are probably 2 miles from Volunteer Gun shop (closer to JC) and have a pretty wide selection of guns in stock. I haven't purchased a gun from them, but have had 2 transferred to them from Bud's.

Are they still open? For some reason I was thinking that they had closed, thus the omission. If they're still there, then they are also worth a visit.

Guest Tn.Mitch
The masses pay far less attention than you think, they're too busy texting. If you're carrying something smaller than a bazooka, no one will notice.

As stated, IWB generally requires some wardrobe adjustments, 2" larger waist pants is typical. IWB is typically better concealed, but an OWB can also be easily concealed. It'll vary by time of year too. In the winter, it's easy to conceal a big gun OWB. In the summer, not so much.

ROFLMAO...I know thats right about the texting..lol,if your young anyway,im not so I dont have to worry about that.Im like all you guys I have enough holsters for a small army.But I found a holster a couple of years ago Made by Erik at Side Guard Holsters...its the High Slide..Man if yoiur going to carry OWB, this is the one to have.The bottom of the holster is right in line with the bottom of your belt.I mean it all sits above the belt,you cant get any better than that for a OWB,but you do need a real Gun Belt,not some Belt from Wally World....lol,, Erik as made 2 of these for me,One for my 3 inch 1911.s, the other for my EDC Work gun,my Glock 27,I wear it everday to work outdoors and its still like new.. check him out at sideguardholsters.com hers mine for my Glock 27.. IMHO this works great for me with just a t-shirt for cover,no problems,its much more comfy than a IWB believe me I have worn both and know from expereince.

HPIM0771.jpg

HPIM0772.jpg

Are they still open? For some reason I was thinking that they had closed, thus the omission. If they're still there, then they are also worth a visit.

Yes, I was in there about 2 weeks ago. They do transfers for $30 and they are also on Bud's pre-approved list so you don't even have to contact them in order to transfer there. I also had him do a price check on a Kahr K40 for me and his prices were in line with TCGD.

Guest FLSTFI Dave

I like and use the Milt Sparks VM 2 for my 1911's. It's a long wait to get one. I have to get another put on order the beginning of march. Means I will see it in 6 to 7 months.