Greeks? Fraternity/Sorority

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Lester Weevils

I was way too much a dweeb to be even remotely considered by any frats.

But here is a quasi-serious question asked in all honesty-- Back in the late 1960's at GA TECH, KA was the animal house on campus. Falling down house, brown grass, trash all over the yard. Unkempt fellows with wrinkled clothes and three-day beards. I suspect that all may have been correlated to some pretty good parties, but I have no personal knowledge.

Just wondering-- Do frats have a "national character" or does it vary by campus? Just because the GA TECH KA was an animal house, could one safely assume it would be about the same on most campuses? Or is it a luck of the draw which letters will decorate each campus' animal house?

Guest Bronker
...luck of the draw which letters will decorate each campus' animal house?

This.

My chapter of KA was quite civilized, with nothing but upstanding gentlemen with a healthy respect for all campus laws and ordinances. We worked diligently to educate our peers about the untoward circumstances that could result from irresponsible, underage alcohol consumption.

Trust me, I worked HARD to illustrate this. Details are sketchy, but I'm told I was a convincing test subject.

(Disclaimer: kidding...I regret those days. Only by God's mercy did I survive much of what I did there)

I think the title of "Animal House" could change quarter to quarter (and yes, I was at UT before they had this semester thing). It all depended on the makeup of the most active members at that time. Our chapter was at times focused on philanthropic projects and participation in campus activities like student council and homecoming and would then change over to focus which package stores sold the cheapest kegs.

Guest Lester Weevils

Thanks Bronker and Rightwinger.

In the late 60's at Ga Tech most of the frats seemed pretty straight-laced. Wear ties and fashionable pants to class and such.

Generally the non-frats looked much more casual or even slobs compared to frats. I was on the bohemian side. That is why the KA's were notable, because it didn't look like they wore suits and ties very often, or even shave on a regular basis. :) Which would have been more typical of non-frat students.

Maybe later on into the 1970's the frat typical dress code loosened up. Dunno. When I finished up at UTC lived off campus and worked full-time, so didn't have time to observe the student culture.

Kappa Alpha Order, Delta Upsilon, UT Martin 1994

Wow...perhaps we crossed paths at some point? :cool:

Wow, small world. I did go to a few party's over at the KA house so we might have crossed paths!