I took a sip of the Kool-Aid...

BigK

I don't love Glocks, I love S&W K-frame revolvers, but Glocks are better tools. Like an addict staying away from cigs, alcohol, meth or heroin, I stay away from shooting S&W revolvers. Why? Although they are fine for defense up to a point I want as much potential kinetic energy easy at hand. Glock gives me more reliably with enough accuracy. S&W K-frames to me are like the "Precious" to Gollum.

Bronkers, my Avatar G19 is ugly but oh so efficient. No gun is easier to point shoot than this G19, not even the HKP7. Flat, fast and "sticky" in the hand (either hand) is all I ask, it may give me an "edge" (remember Lone Watie in Outlaw Josey Wales).

If you saw how many Glocks I have modified for folks at Ft Campbell or here in Clarksville, you would begin to wonder why doesn't Glock do this themselves?

Take care and good shooting.

Craig

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the gunshow looking for a 9mm w/ a 4 - 4.5" barrel. I hoped to find a CZ 75 w/ decocker, a RugerSR9, an XD/XDM or maybe a S&W M&P. I wasn't really thinking about a Glock, but it just stood out for some reason.

Hey graycrait, you got some b/a pics of what you did to yours posted anywhere. I can't tell from that lil avatar.

Edited by BigK

I was born and bred on a 1911, but I forced myself to acquire comfort with Glocks if only because so many people use them and I might be forced use one in an extreme situation (you know what I mean). I have not regretted it, though I still will always love my 1911s.

On your son...I won't say good luck. But I will say: train hard, prepare well, and good hunting.

Think About It,

Email me at: charrg19@charter.net and I will send you some pics of Glocks that I have done for others that aren't as extreme as some of mine. I can tell you how to do it yourself. I don't mind doing it for a few others, but it is not a business for me - just a hobby. The more folks that know and want to make their gun fit themselves and their intended use the better - It makes me feel better knowing that such interested shooters are rubbing elbows out there on the streets with me. In the last two days I did a very conservative job on a friend's 2nd Gen G17 and gave a Full Monty to another friend's G26, both of these fellas are folks who carry a gun for work and as a citizen. This ain't rocket science. I approach knife sheath making, cane making, hiking staff making or most anything I am interested in the same way - lets look at what works efficiently for the task at hand. I try and live by: "let's do it faster, cheaper, safer, better and don't waste anyone's time." What I find fascinating are the folks who tell me "Glocks are perfect from the factory," or "1911s are the best gun ever made," or "M-4s are better than AK74s," etc. Gimme a break, they are all tools for a purpose and as such can be "improved or tweaked" to fit each unique user a little better than what the factory mass produces for the average user. I'm not real big on custom guns except in circumstances where specific need arises or where the buyer just has so much cash that custom makes him or her feel better. No right or wrong, just the way it is sometimes. However, I believe many mass produced guns can relatively cheaply be made to work a tad batter than they came out of the factory.

Craig

Think About It,

Welcome to the Brotherhood!

First, the sights: The Glock factory sight picture is the fastest to acquire that I've found; nothing is simpler than putting the ball in the box. If you need more light around the front sight then carefully open up the rear notch with a needle file and an Xacto knife.

Second, the POI: For years I wouldn't buy a Glock because the grip angle made it point high. One day a friend noticed I was gripping with a fist. He told me to press on the front and rear straps as if my hand were a C clamp and point at the target with my thumb. Darned if it didn't work! This also positions my shooting thumb over the base of my support thumb. I was spending all my time distracted with how the gun didn't fit my hand when with a very slight adjustment I could make my hand fit the gun. Try pointing at things with your shooting thumb for awhile and see if that doesn't help. Good Luck!

AWESOME! of you guys to help me out so much. I really appreciate it. Thanks Bronker for finding that pic for me.

I was born and bred on a 1911, but I forced myself to acquire comfort with Glocks if only because so many people use them and I might be forced use one in an extreme situation (you know what I mean). I have not regretted it, though I still will always love my 1911s.

On your son...I won't say good luck. But I will say: train hard, prepare well, and good hunting.

I know exactly what you mean about the 1911 to Glock transition. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool CZ guy, so this thing feels VERY foreign in my hand right now. The important thing is that my son like it for now. I've got plenty of time to get accustomed to it after he's done getting the feel.

Think About It,

Welcome to the Brotherhood!

First, the sights: The Glock factory sight picture is the fastest to acquire that I've found; nothing is simpler than putting the ball in the box. If you need more light around the front sight then carefully open up the rear notch with a needle file and an Xacto knife.

Second, the POI: For years I wouldn't buy a Glock because the grip angle made it point high. One day a friend noticed I was gripping with a fist. He told me to press on the front and rear straps as if my hand were a C clamp and point at the target with my thumb. Darned if it didn't work! This also positions my shooting thumb over the base of my support thumb. I was spending all my time distracted with how the gun didn't fit my hand when with a very slight adjustment I could make my hand fit the gun. Try pointing at things with your shooting thumb for awhile and see if that doesn't help. Good Luck!

I do like the sight picture, but "want" adjustable sights. Maybe I don't need them and maybe I'm wrong, but by my reasoning a target/competition gun should have them. After only one trip to the range I've already noticed how quick the "ball in the box" is for follow-ups. I don't know what you were shooting before that made you have to change your grip to accomodate Glocks, but I definitely know what you mean. The ergonomics on my Ruger Mark II and CZs are so instinctual that I don't have to think about it. Still, I manage okay shooting my .357 Ruger, so I'm sure I'll get this too. Priority one is getting my son up to speed with the new gun he'll be using. I'm sure if he starts off right, it'll be much easier than changing later.

Think About It,

Email me at: charrg19@charter.net and I will send you some pics of Glocks that I have done for others that aren't as extreme as some of mine. I can tell you how to do it yourself. I don't mind doing it for a few others, but it is not a business for me - just a hobby. The more folks that know and want to make their gun fit themselves and their intended use the better - It makes me feel better knowing that such interested shooters are rubbing elbows out there on the streets with me. In the last two days I did a very conservative job on a friend's 2nd Gen G17 and gave a Full Monty to another friend's G26, both of these fellas are folks who carry a gun for work and as a citizen. This ain't rocket science. I approach knife sheath making, cane making, hiking staff making or most anything I am interested in the same way - lets look at what works efficiently for the task at hand. I try and live by: "let's do it faster, cheaper, safer, better and don't waste anyone's time." What I find fascinating are the folks who tell me "Glocks are perfect from the factory," or "1911s are the best gun ever made," or "M-4s are better than AK74s," etc. Gimme a break, they are all tools for a purpose and as such can be "improved or tweaked" to fit each unique user a little better than what the factory mass produces for the average user. I'm not real big on custom guns except in circumstances where specific need arises or where the buyer just has so much cash that custom makes him or her feel better. No right or wrong, just the way it is sometimes. However, I believe many mass produced guns can relatively cheaply be made to work a tad batter than they came out of the factory.

Craig

I'll definitely shoot you an email in the next couple of days to see some of the pics you mentioned.

I almost took the Dremel and a woodburning bit to that trigger guard last night, but I am a little apprehensive about altering the frame just yet. I guess I'm still gun shy :rolleyes: about making alterations that would make it hard to trade/sell it. I guess I'll just get over that and do what I want to it to make it fit me.

The Glock 34 is not working for you, let me know. I am in the market again for another 34(sorry, bigwakes....never should have done the three way deal with you and Eric). Or is anyone has a 17L. I am looking at one this weekend and may satisfy the hunger until next weekend after.

Why do you need another 34? Don't you have two or three already? I am very happy with the trade, but I think I got the best deal of the three. Something about the 34 feels better then the 35 even when converted to 9mm.

Guest perjohn

Think About It,

I recently went to a G34 after shooting a 1911 exclusively for the last couple of years. I'm going to be shooting it in idpa, uspsa, and 3gun. Before I fired the first round, I replaced the sights with a Sevigny rear with a fo front, using a dial caliper to make sure I had the rear centered in the slide. First trip to the range, target at about 15yds to verify sights were correct, it shoots left. I mean the entire mag was left of the bullseye. I immediately thought the sights were off, but on the next string I really concentrated on my trigger control. I made sure I didn't use too much trigger finger and had a nice smooth press, and all the shots were dead on. I guess a nice single action trigger can hide some flaws in trigger control.

Also, IIRC, only the LE G34 comes with fixed sights. It also comes with three mags instead of two. If you have a LE G34, you also have a 5.5 connector instead of the 4.5 in the civilian 34. A 4.5 connector might help the trigger control issue. I am by no means a glock expert, just relaying what I've read and heard from others. I hope you enjoy the 34 as much as I enjoy mine!

P.S. If you want adjustable factory sights, I'll mail you mine if you'll pm me your address.

Think About It,

I recently went to a G34 after shooting a 1911 exclusively for the last couple of years. I'm going to be shooting it in idpa, uspsa, and 3gun. Before I fired the first round, I replaced the sights with a Sevigny rear with a fo front, using a dial caliper to make sure I had the rear centered in the slide. First trip to the range, target at about 15yds to verify sights were correct, it shoots left. I mean the entire mag was left of the bullseye. I immediately thought the sights were off, but on the next string I really concentrated on my trigger control. I made sure I didn't use too much trigger finger and had a nice smooth press, and all the shots were dead on. I guess a nice single action trigger can hide some flaws in trigger control.

Also, IIRC, only the LE G34 comes with fixed sights. It also comes with three mags instead of two. If you have a LE G34, you also have a 5.5 connector instead of the 4.5 in the civilian 34. A 4.5 connector might help the trigger control issue. I am by no means a glock expert, just relaying what I've read and heard from others. I hope you enjoy the 34 as much as I enjoy mine!

P.S. If you want adjustable factory sights, I'll mail you mine if you'll pm me your address.

Hey, I appreciate the feedback about shooting left. You're actually 2nd person that has mentioned that I may just need to get used to the new trigger, I'll bench it next time out to see if that helps.

I had no idea there were 2 versions of the G34. I thought they all came with 3 mags, so I asked and the seller said it only had 2 mags when he bought it new. My 3rd mag is a Korean knock-off the guy threw in for free.

I don't have a trigger scale, but I fashioned one using a shoelace, some duct tape, a pencil, and a jug of water. The weight of these items and the water it took to pull the trigger was just at 73 oz. Close enough to a 4.5# trigger for my estimation. The SA pulll on my EDC is 1-2 oz short of 5#, so they are pretty close.