False Patina

Guest 10mm4me

Guest 10mm4me

If you have a carbon steel knife and you want to put a nice patina or finish on it, soak the blade in vinegar for about an hour. Or, you can cut strips of paper towel in any design, soak them in vinegar, and wrap around the blade creating camo patterns, tiger stripes, a false hamon line, or any pattern you can think of. It is a great way to get a custom look and it is actually a great way to protect a non stainless blade. This is permanent but can be polished off eventually.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's easy to "spot" and "stripe" a carbon steel knife with mustard as well. I also used tobacco juice on an old Case Muskrat. That was on accident. I was sucker with the Muskrat at the time.

Edited by Moped
Guest 10mm4me
Ok, you first. Show us one of your knives that you have "customized".

Why the sarcasm? I have done it to a Black Jack model 7 and it looks really cool. I'm not saying it's some professional technique to increase a knife's value. Wow, tough crowd. It can be removed too if you don't like it.

10mm4me, I think your plan is great, and I know someone that has done it. I have a friend thats starting out in the knife making hobby in his garage with the 50 dollar knife shop plans, he is also starting to play with cold blueing as a finish. he has made a couple pretty neat knives. the only pictures I have are of his first monstrocities...he is getting alot better.

old dull skill saw blade:

168207_190370127646940_100000218617201_778343_1033190_n.jpg

wide leaf spring from something industrial:

36272_187022534648366_100000218617201_742203_1908649_n.jpg

Why the sarcasm? I have done it to a Black Jack model 7 and it looks really cool. I'm not saying it's some professional technique to increase a knife's value. Wow, tough crowd. It can be removed too if you don't like it.

I just think it is crazy to deface a good knife just to make it look "custom". And the fact that you did it to a Black Jack Knife is even worse. I can't see me pulling a Randall out of the safe and customizing it.

I didn't ask the original question, but I'd like to have an idea of the result to expect. I'm not going to do anything to a gun or knife I own without some idea of the expected outcome.

If I might interject here, I've done this to plenty of my own knives over the years. My customers occasionally wanted something 'old' looking & for ages I used ketchup, mustard or vinegar. However these all leave a very very shallow etch that can be scratched or polished off very quickly & easily.

If you want a good, solid patina that is permanent coat the blade in clorox for a good pitted finish, or naval jelly for a light grey 'antique' effect.

Here's an example of the clorox effect (the bigger of the two, the small knife is from genuine use)....

knives003.jpg

And the naval jelly on the lock of my muzzleloader....

gpr001.jpg

Edited by robtattoo
Guest RiseMechanical

Is anyone interested in taking some before and after pics? I would like to try it myself but don't have an uncoated blade to try it on.

Does the naval jelly just take away the gleam of the blade without the pitting of the bleach?

Yeah, the naval jelly just leaves the steel as a dull grey. The clorox leaves some very serious pits in a very short time. I generally leave the NJ for around 20 minutes thn wipe off & check progress. Re-apply as desired.

The bleach will start to noticeably rust & pit the steel within 15 minutes. The naval jelly doesn't rust the steel like clorox does, just etches the surface.

Guest RiseMechanical

That is very cool. I had never heard of these techniques. I am going to have to get an uncoated blade to check this out!

Thanks again for the info.