Cold Steel SRK

Wanted a good fixed blade to add to my BOB and this one fit the price range. Seems rock solid!

The only complaint I have is that despite the kydex sheath being very nice, it doesn't have any retention. It's held in place by a strap instead. Also, the knife has no jimping on the spine but I can fix that with some skateboard tape. Other than that I really like it! Oh, and its FREAKING SHARP!! Not a bad price either at $69 shipped.

Weight:

8.2 oz.

Blade Thick: 3/16"

Blade Length: 6"

Handle: 4 3/4" long Kraton®

Steel: Carbon V® Black epoxy coat finish

Overall Length: 10 3/4"

SRK_350.jpg

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

One of the long time best choices in fighting/survival categories.

Japanese or Taiwan steel now? Everyone says it's just as good a knife as it was when still USA made -- shame it's lost that extra perk, but I'm still a Cold Steel fanboy for much of their stuff.

I was handling a Knox Co. cop's SRK at Norris range last summer, awesome.

- OS

One of the long time best choices in fighting/survival categories.

Japanese or Taiwan steel now? Everyone says it's just as good a knife as it was when still USA made -- shame it's lost that extra perk, but I'm still a Cold Steel fanboy for much of their stuff.

I was handling a Knox Co. cop's SRK at Norris range last summer, awesome.

- OS

Made in Japan sadly. Kinda sucks but that's the age we live in. I looked at Kabar for a long time and almost went with that over the CS, but something about this knife just appealed to me. I'm loving it so far.

Made in Japan sadly. Kinda sucks but that's the age we live in. I looked at Kabar for a long time and almost went with that over the CS, but something about this knife just appealed to me. I'm loving it so far.

Oh, it's top notch. Good Japanese steel is as good as any in the world, absolutely, and Cold Steel's top end knives are made to same exacting standards as always.

And their lower end knives, many of which I have, are mostly Taiwan rather than China, and are fine bargains for the price, unless one is uninformed enough to buy directly from CS. :2cents:

- OS

I've got one of those, an early Carbon V version. The Carbon V versions of the SRK, Trailmaster and Master Hunter were all good knives :up: Had a nice sheath made for the MH by Eric of On Scene Tactical, good stuff.

Edited by tenman
  • Admin Team

The SRK has always been a good, reliable blade. The sheath does suck, but it's a far cry better than what they used to ship with, and there are some good aftermarket versions.

I've got a buddy who used one as his primary blade for more than a decade until he cleaned out some poison ivy with it. Now, despite repeated cleanings with all kinds of chemicals, he breaks out every time he touches it.

Congrats.

...I've got a buddy who used one as his primary blade for more than a decade until he cleaned out some poison ivy with it. Now, despite repeated cleanings with all kinds of chemicals, he breaks out every time he touches it. ...

Wow, that's kinda hard to believe it's still virulent after all that. Could he be having a psychological reaction?

- OS

The SRK has always been a good, reliable blade. The sheath does suck, but it's a far cry better than what they used to ship with, and there are some good aftermarket versions.

I've got a buddy who used one as his primary blade for more than a decade until he cleaned out some poison ivy with it. Now, despite repeated cleanings with all kinds of chemicals, he breaks out every time he touches it.

Congrats.

That's crazy! I'd send it through the dishwasher or something haha!

Do you have any links for aftermarket sheaths?

...The only complaint I have is that despite the kydex sheath being very nice, it doesn't have any retention. It's held in place by a strap instead. ...

Meant to mention, have same complaint from my Becker BK7, although it's a kydex/plastic internal insert -- it even rattles. Have read that you can heat whole thing in hot water and sort of smush it down to conform to knife. Since I haven't actually used the thing yet, I haven't tried that. I might be more reluctant to try it with the SRK's sheath, though...that stuff isn't actually Kydex I don't think?

- OS

Meant to mention, have same complaint from my Becker BK7, although it's a kydex/plastic internal insert -- it even rattles. Have read that you can heat whole thing in hot water and sort of smush it down to conform to knife. Since I haven't actually used the thing yet, I haven't tried that. I might be more reluctant to try it with the SRK's sheath, though...that stuff isn't actually Kydex I don't think?

- OS

I might volunteer to be the guinea pig for this test. But my first thought was to try and heat it with a hair dryer first. hmmmmm

• Admin Team

The SRK would be a great first project for someone wanting to press their own kydex and roll their own. Since it's concentric and only really has one fold, you could likely get away with a heat gun, an old closed cell camping pad and a couple of pieces of plywood.

I might volunteer to be the guinea pig for this test. But my first thought was to try and heat it with a hair dryer first. hmmmmm

Well, that's what you should do with Kydex. Just dunno if the Cold Steel stuff is kydex. I have several that use the "Conceal-X" sheaths, haven't ever needed to try and soften them, but they don't seem to be Kydex.

The Becker sheath is heavy nylon with whatever kind of plastic inserts for the (two) knives, plus an outside pocket for emergency tin or whatever. Really like it all cept for the loose rattle on the main knife.

- OS

• Admin Team

Knifekits.com has kydex and concealex, which are both thermoforming plastics in 1ftx1ft sheets for a couple of dollars a piece.

If you've never been there, it's kind of like CountyComm. Be prepared to waste some time and spend 50 bucks.

Edited by MacGyver
Knifekits.com has kydex and concealex, which are both thermoforming plastics in 1ftx1ft sheets for a couple of dollars a piece.

If you've never been there, it's kind of like CountyComm. Be prepared to waste some time and spend 50 bucks.

Yow, then I better stay away. I'd spend 200, being sort of an addictive personality. :up:

- OS

damn! you just hand to mention countyComm!!! I could spend all day on that site, and all my money! The only thing that sucks is their ridiculous shipping prices. You HAVE to order in bulk or you get raped on shipping.

• Admin Team
Yow, then I better stay away. I'd spend 200, being sort of an addictive personality. :up:

One of my goals for this year is to be able to do some of my own thermoforming for simple kydex stuff. Knife sheaths, pocket holsters, etc... My reaction is always kind of like Erik's. Everytime I spend $60 on a holster, I think, "Seriously? I know I could do this." Knifekits.com has some good quality tools for pretty decent prices. I figure my $200 is going to be offset pretty quickly.

But stay off of CountyComm. I don't want you griping to me about how you blew your whole morning, and found all this stuff that you had no idea you needed so badly. :)