Taking HCP class at Coal Creek Armory

Guest GradStudent

Guest GradStudent

I'm taking the HCP class this weekend with my fiancee this weekend. Just was wondering what to expect besides the crappy video and such.

Do they use the standard 70% on the silhouette as passing?

Is it 18 shots at 3 & 7 yards and 12 shots at 15 yards?

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Different guy teaching than couple three years ago when I took it, but was 12 shots at 3,7,15 yards, and 12 at instructors choice, which was also within those ranges.

Yeah, 70%.

I used an antique H&R .22 revolver.

Isn't the new, somewhat less crappy video out now?

- OS

Expect to be frightened that a few of the people in your class passed.

Maybe that is part of the lesson.

Don't over prepare for it like I did.

Make sure you and your fiancee know how to handle the firearms you plan to take the class with.

Make sure both of you know how to operate your pistols, load, use the safety, and are able to safely put some shots down range. The class/test don't' sweat it to much.

Edited by vontar

+1 to Vontar's post ^^^^^

I was surprised when I actually took the class. You are told step by step exactly what to do and when to do it on the range. If you listen and can operate your firearm it's as simple as following instructions. The instructor is really nice guy. Relax and enjoy the time, I was way over nervous, but thats just how I operate.

If you go back to my early posts on the board before I got my HCP, I was asking call kinds of questions about the class, even posted a picture of my shots at the B-27 target asking if that would pass. BTW, at the class my shots where much better then my practice. I was probably one of the biggest worry warts, now I can't way to get my wife into the class this spring. I have her shooting now, she never shot a gun before last summer.

Also, the very last 6 shoots and maybe this was my instructor, but he had us move back to the 3 yard range and, gave us instructions that when the command was given to fire as fast as we safely could aim and fire. I just opened up, probably the fastest I had every shot 6 shots.

Also something else, at the very beginning of our class, the instructor ask who in the room had any CPR/first aid training. I put my hand up. He said if anything happened he would take lead and I would be backup. He then pointed to a big sign. Clearly marked with the location/address and picked 2 people if an emergency happened to be 1st and 2nd to make a 911 call if needed. Very well organized

Let me add, my class was not at Coal Creek Armory, just speaking about my experience in general.

Edited by vontar
Guest Caveman
I'm taking the HCP class this weekend with my fiancee this weekend. Just was wondering what to expect besides the crappy video and such.

Do they use the standard 70% on the silhouette as passing?

Is it 18 shots at 3 & 7 yards and 12 shots at 15 yards?

You will be firing 48 rounds; 12 rounds at three yards, 12 rounds at seven yards, 12 rounds at 15 yards and the last 12 rounds will be rapid fire back at three yards. That is how Rick does the class. As far as the silhouette is concerned, you cannot miss the target (whole target) more than six times during the qualification. It is pretty easy, don't sweat it.

Guest GradStudent

Me and my fiancée both passed. I missed one written question and got 100% on the shooting. Rick was a great instructor. He covered a lot of good information and he made everybody feel comfortable. I would recommend his class.

As far as the shooting part of the class went, we shot:

• 12 shots at 3 yards
  • 24 shots at 7 yards
  • 12 shots at 15 yards
  • 70% inside or touching the 7 ring

Also, Erik88, if you were at CCA Saturday morning I think I met you. I was the one who drug my fiancée there.