"pig bomb"

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh, and it looks like it'll be airing again tonight at 10pm (11pm for you eastern folks) in case anyone misses the first run.

Just got in. Missed the first run. Got a reminder set for 10P. Hogs Gone Wild at 9P, also about feral hogs. Looks like it's Pig Night on Discovery

I've seen a few clips on Youtube, I initially watched it expecting to see an exploding pig.

:P

I started watching it while I was lying in bed last night, but didn't make it very far before I fell asleep. Maybe later. Thank goodness for DVRs.

There are some middle TN outfitters that guarantee you kill a pig or the hunt is free. Must be plenty around here.

They're bought in to hunt & all the Outfitters I know in TN that have 'guarenteed' hunts, hold the hunts in fenced enclosures. I'm not saying it's canned hunting, but it is high fence hunting.

I started it, but will finish it later. There are some middle TN outfitters that guarantee you kill a pig or the hunt is free. Must be plenty around here.
They're bought in to hunt & all the Outfitters I know in TN that have 'guarenteed' hunts, hold the hunts in fenced enclosures. I'm not saying it's canned hunting, but it is high fence hunting.

Not a lot of fun or "sport" in that. I guess if I was from out of town and on a time restraint, I might consider it, but otherwise would not.

I really don't see the point in those canned hunts anymore as "Pig Bomb" leads me to believe that the beasts are amassing just outside the city limits ready for invasion or might just be sitting at the door step one morning when you are trying to get to work. :)

And people are afraid of Zombies. :P

• 2 weeks later...

When you mention "fenced in hunting", in areas where feral hog and/or wild boar do not occur naturally, they MUST be enclosed with "hog proof" fencing. In the areas ya'll mention, you could hunt all day and not see a fence, maybe not even a hog. Your hunt is "guarnteed" mostly if you use dogs. Just my experience is all.

I really don't see the point in those canned hunts anymore as "Pig Bomb" leads me to believe that the beasts are amassing just outside the city limits ready for invasion or might just be sitting at the door step one morning when you are trying to get to work. :bow:

And people are afraid of Zombies. :)

They are reproducing in rapid numbers in places like LBL, Cross Creeks, Fort Campbell and Barkley WMA. You are just not allow to hunt them in a manner needed to control and/or eradicate them. The USDA and state/federal wildlife officials want hunters to kill every one of them you see. But yet they won't open a season on them. Yes, "pig bomb" is for real, and getting worse! Right in our own back yards!

Edited by wd-40
They are reproducing in rapid numbers in places like LBL, Cross Creeks, Fort Campbell and Barkley WMA. You are just not allow to hunt them in a manner needed to control and/or eradicate them. The USDA and state/federal wildlife officials want hunters to kill every one of them you see. But yet they won't open a season on them. Yes, "pig bomb" is for real, and getting worse! Right in our own back yards!

That's very true. I was duck hunting on a WMA a few weeks ago and was checked by TWRA. There was extensive damage to the WMA parking area, trail and levee done by hogs. The officer was commenting about the damage and told us to kill as many as we could. I asked him if he ever shot a wild hog with steel shot. He said "good point". Possession of lead while waterfowl hunting would be a big Federal no-no, and the WMA was closed to all other forms of hunting except waterfowl. Therefore, an unchecked feral hog problem. I mentioned that I would be willing to help them kill some of the hogs, but I needed something other than steel birdshot. He said that was all I was allowed to use. I don't climb trees so well, so I only shot at ducks....

I wish TN would change the rules a little to make it easier to kill a few hogs and coyotes on WMA land.

I watched both of the pigs shows. What amazes me is the anarmed idiots. Going after pigs with some dogs and their ACLU cards

I thought the same thing when I was watching "Hogs Gone Wild". Once they had the pig in sight, it seems like a good rifle and night vision scope would have been a better choice instead of setting the dogs loose. I didn't get that.

Edited by Batman
All we can do, is write TWRA and voice our opinions. Maybe the envolvement of Quail Unlimited, NWTF and Ducks Unlimited will help us all too. Those are some of the most powerful groups out there.

When you do, mention the rules for hunting hogs in Texas, which are as follows: [none]. If the TWRA really wants dead hogs, that's how to go about it - any weapon, any means, any time of day. Kill hogs with a bow? Great! Kill hogs at night? Outstanding! Kill hogs on baited fields? Allowed, if not encouraged. In TX, if your weapon is legal, feral hogs are open to anyone, no license required, no bag limit, no restrictions. They treat feral pigs as invasive species, and let their citizens eradicate them in any way they see necessary, within existing laws (e.g. no Claymores, though that would make an interesting YouTube vid).

If the TWRA wants less piggies, other states have taken an approach that can be followed.

I beleive there should be some regs on them, but in the mean time as we wait for a season on them, how many wild turkey eggs will be eaten? How many duck and geese will have their nests destroyed and the eggs eaten? How many quail eggs? Eggs of ground nesting birds are like candy to a feral hog. One of the areas I hunt was full of turkeys 4 years ago. You could see flocks of them in the fields. Then the hogs showed up. The turkey season of 2010, we seen 2 turkeys the whole season. But we slapped the snot out of a few hogs with bow. Could of killed dozens more if we were allow to use a gun! There has to be a change, we are in serious trouble if not!

Edited by wd-40
Guest Aces&8s

I must live in the only part of Tennessee that is not overrun with pigs. Deer? Sure. Turkeys? Got 'em. Coyotes? More than a few. Stray dogs and cats? All over the place. Nary a pig to be seen, though, and it stinks 'cause I have a hankerin' for some bacon :shrug:

Guest Spurhunter

1) Canned Hunts: I have done them, but the caveat, it was on someone elses dime while entertaining clietns. I had a good time stalking and making good shots. One I shot with a S&W 500 4" brl. You just have to remember, its not a wild, fair-chase stuation, but they are still mean, and will kill you if they catch you on the ground. :shrug: I know some say, its just like a wild hunt.....see point number two.

2) Hoggin' with dogs and a knife: I grew up in Fl, we did it all the time. There is NOTHING like hearing the fight start in a mess of swamp cabbage. The adrenalin goes through the roof and when you have to leg a 2oo lb hog while a dog or two is firmly attached to its snout, and then flip that bad boy over to stick him with a knife, you know your alive boys.

3) As far as the shows, I have very little faith they will acuratly portray what is going on with the hog populations. Just my gut feel. I don want to check the shows out though.

I think stabing an animal to death with a knife is cruel and inhumane. To each his own I suppose. Everyone has their own ideas of ethics ect., ect.. Those are the reason PETA is coming down on everybody and everything! They and the humane society have more influence in our hunting seasons and regs, than you could imagine. Just like the auto insurance industry. Come on, lets give them wood for their fires!

Edited by wd-40
Guest Spurhunter

Hope you dont take this as argumentative WD, but I assume you have issues with bow-hunters as well? I have done both myself, every animal I have arrowed did not expire instantly. Every hog I have ever stuck with a knife expired in a matter of 2 minutes. I am not sure what visual you get where folks a "stabbing" an animal to death, but if you have to stab it more than once, you have a lot to learn.

well i live between nashville and ashland city and have killed 5 hogs in the last 2 weeks .i dont use dogs or bait i find them when i am fishing aong the creek banks and one was in my yard . yes i fish in the cold this has got to be the best walleye and sauger fishing in the cumberland i have ever seen

I do bow hunt hogs, and the neck shots I make with my crossbow kills them within a minute or less. I guess just the idea of some knife wielding bubba stabbing a hog 27 times like someone did my 89 year old grandmother, is just a little distasteful TO ME. Just my opinion is all. I just don't see the reasoning behind it.