what would you rather have for a ccw

Guest tripp

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think carrying a 1911 is easier than most revolvers because a 1911 is thinner. The weight is an issue because of the holster more so than the gun itself. If you have a nice fitting holster that is comfortable you will not notice a 1911. I have carried several revolvers and several variations of a 1911 between officers and a fullsize but for me I always come back to a 1911.

Dolomite

Guest mmarcum

I have never carried a 1911, but have and do carry a Smith 3913 and an Sp101. I carry them each in different situations, but if wearing limited clothing as in say summer time I carry the SP101 without the shaved hammer. I used to carry the Smith all the time, but after getting the Ruger just found it easier to conceal for me.

Between these two choices only, I'd take the sp101. I carry a S&W 642 more than any other carry gun. It is significantly lighter than the sp101. I prefer it because pocket, ankle, or belt carry are all easily accomplished depending on the situation. The added weight of the sp101 make that a bit more difficult, but still possible.

Situation dependent. I started off carrying the SP101. I found it easy to conceal even in an OWB holster, or it could be just stuck in a pocket. The only thing I didn't care for was the capacity. I enjoy carrying the 1911 more, I find it has less (if any) print for me even in an OWB holster, higher capacity, and the big one for me is that I am more proficient with it. Only complaint I have is that some types of chairs cause the beavertail to poke me in the side a bit, but no big deal.

In the end. I would carry the one you shoot better.

thats a toughy.

I carry an LCR in the summer (like it over the SP101 for the lower weight even if there is a decrease in stopping power)

and

I carry a Sig P245 in the winter (i use a Galco Miami Classic as it is comfy and conceals under any jacket well...i prefer the 45's extra power vs other peoples winter clothing)

So my vote in your similar situation would be both :-D I use to carry a Dan Wesson Bobtail 1911 IWB all the time and my biggest complaint with that was bumping into stuff and sometimes it poked the stomach even with the super well built Mtac holster.

Guest Mike_Parsons

Have a Gemini customs 2.25 sp101 and have done the 1911.

For me its the sp101 between the two. The full size 1911 barrel is a little long. With the jeans I wear it either interferes with the front or back pocket depending on which position I wear it. My glock 19 is a little better and Ill be picking up my pm9 today or TM. Will admit, a commander or smaller would be the sweet spot for me, but the pm9 is just so light weight. Different strokes...

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Again, I would favor the 1911. While I've carried my little Colt Cobra and a S&W 36 for a while, the cylinder on a revolver always seems too fat. I usually carry a Star PD .45 which is an alloy-frame 1911-style pistol. I like it's slimness and small size which allow me to vary my carry method. I also appreciate the 7 rounds of .45 vs the five or six .38 or .357s.

I like a full size 1911 or my Commander sometimes. The trick to carrying a full size 1911 is a good quality holster and even more important and seems to be the most overlooked part of concealed carry,is the belt. A good "gun" belt is crucial to comfortable carry of a large heavy weapon. With my Wilderness Tactical belt a 1911 virtually disappears. If you are serious about carrying a gun, full size or not you owe it to yourself to invest in the proper tools to do it with.

Guest friesepferd

I love 1911s and love carrying them.

Many people don't because 'they are too heavy'. There are TONS of alloy framed 1911s out there, and of course there are different sizes and calibers. You dont need a 5" barrel steel 1911! I carry a Kimber Ultra Aegis, which is a subcompact alloy framed 9mm 1911 and I absolutely love it. SOOOO easy to conceal and is quite light, not to mention very accurate and reliable.

It would depend more on your lifestyle, manner of dress, body shape, frequency of carry, etc.

I used to be more dogmatic about firearms along time ago, now I try to look at them more right tool for the right job and person.

Summer carry or vacation in FL, the LCP or a Keltec is really hard to beat.

Light jacket, straight cut untucked shirt... 1911 or SP easily conceals. If capacity is a concern then 1911, if

"I don't want to worry about it jamming" then an SP might ease your mind.

It is possible to make one work for every thing... but it requires compromises at times. Sometimes those small

hassles makes it easier to leave it at home more than you intend to. Ultimately it comes down to what your most

comfortable with.