Predator hunting tactics/tricks sharing

Guest GunTroll

It appears to be a den of some sort. Coyotes will find a den site during mating season (which is going on right now) to have their pups. Not sure if they go back to the same one. I guess it depends on if they are pressured in an area then move on. Coyotes will make dens in small caves, rock ledges and I have heard people even say they will dig out fox dens and take them over. Did you find any coyote track around it? if so setup close to it and call. After they have their pups they will be guarding the den both the male and female.

Guest GunTroll
It appears to be a den of some sort. Coyotes will find a den site during mating season (which is going on right now) to have their pups. Not sure if they go back to the same one. I guess it depends on if they are pressured in an area then move on. Coyotes will make dens in small caves, rock ledges and I have heard people even say they will dig out fox dens and take them over. Did you find any coyote track around it? if so setup close to it and call. After they have their pups they will be guarding the den both the male and female.

I couldn't make out a single coyote track. The all blended so to speak. Many, many multiple tracks. Also I didn't want to disturb the area so I didn't linger around much.

Guest BEARMAN
The reason I asked if you had a foxpro I have over 150 sounds we could share.

Thanks Shaun, thats a very kind offer indeed, my friend. Might take you up on that, as a foxpro may be in the cards in the near future.

Guest BEARMAN

Another cheap, but simple to make, and very effective decoy I will grab out of my "bag of tricks" sometimes is a feather.

Yep, that's right, a plain 'ol feather. A turkey wing feather works the best, however, most any will suffice...here's how you do it.

Take the feather and a 12" to 24" piece of light monofilament fishing line and tie the feather's stem, to the fishing line.

Then tie two or three loops in the line at various lenghts in the line. Now you can hang the feather from different heights on a low hanging limb on a tree, or bush...the slightest of breeze will make your feather decoy dance and sway in the wind to take the predators attention away from you, to the wounded critter thrashing about in the tree.

Light as a feather (pun intended) to pack in and out. Works like magic !

Give it a try, what have you got to loose?

Good luck, be safe, shoot straight....

-Bearman

Edited by BEARMAN

101, what Fox Pro do you have? I have a Fox Pro Spitfire I bought at Dick's in Murfreesboro, and I think I only got 24 or 28 different sounds with it. Can I put "more" sounds on my Spitfire, or are the ones that are there permanent? I'm half way handy with a computer, if it's possible to add more sounds to my Spitfire. Thanks for your help.

Guest woodlawnhunter

the spitfire has a memory card that you can remove to put in your computer and put new sounds in it or delete the ones you don't want .

Edited by woodlawnhunter

Woodlawnhunter, thanks for the information. I'll have to dig into my Spitfire and see what size card it has, and if there's room for more sounds. Any suggestions on how to "index" new sounds on the remote? Thanks.

I really like my Spitfire... hopefully, someone on here will scarf up the extra one you have very soon. What model did you move on up to?

Woodlawnhunter, thanks for the information. I'll have to dig into my Spitfire and see what size card it has, and if there's room for more sounds. Any suggestions on how to "index" new sounds on the remote? Thanks.

I really like my Spitfire... hopefully, someone on here will scarf up the extra one you have very soon. What model did you move on up to?

The spitfire can hold a bunch of sounds but the remote will only read and play 24 sounds. You can download a program for free from foxpro or you can do it manually. If you do it manually you must give the sound a number starting starting with 00 and ending with 23. If you need any help PM and I will give you my number and I can walk you through it. I used to have one.

Thanks for the information. I'll check out the FoxPro site and see what I can get working. Thanks again for the offer of help on walking me through it. I may need it! Do you, or anyone on here, recall off hand what format these sounds are in... and are they down-loadable on the internet? Thanks again. I picked up a Savage 110 in .223 the other day that ought to make a fine "yote" gun.

Foxpro has their own sound files and they will only play on a Foxpro unit. Here are some free downloads as any Foxpro unit will play MP3's. You can purchase sounds from Foxpro and they will send them to you in a zip folder to your email. They do have some free ones though that you can download.

Scroll to the bottom and you will see the free ones. FOXPRO, Inc. - High Performance Game Calls.

Western Rivers

MS Custom Calls MP3 List

D3 Game Calls and Accessories

Coyote Calling with Free MP3 Sounds

Guest clutepc

Went out for the first time today, I bought a Johnny Stewart® Long Range Rabbit Distress Predator Call yesterday.

It is a different feeling hunting them, I didn't see anything I can see how that you could get hooked on it.

I feel I'm hunting a good area, found a pile of feathers and a couple piles of scat, one looked fresh.

I'm trying the feather decoy that was posted earlier, we'll see how it goes the next time I'm out..

Guest GunTroll

Man just wait! Even a sighting will get you hooked for life. Nothing better than eliminating a predator. especially if you like deer,rabbits, turkeys,etc. I view it sort of like turkey huntn' with a rifle. Make some noises.....pull a trigger....and if no one is watching high five your buddy. Nothing but good can come from shooting coyotes. View it like turkey hunting except they can smell you out. Sounds like you may have a good spot with what your seeing. Keep the pressure low and don't educate them too fast.

ENJOY!

Guest clutepc

I have a chance to hunt coyote on some private land with some big fields.

The problem is I only own 3 rifles, one is only a 22 which I wouldn't think would work with coyote.

The others are a 50cal Muzzleloader and a Saiga 7.62 with the 20" barrel.

I also believe to legally hunt with the 7.62, I have to either use hollow or soft point ammo?

Am I wrong with thinking that??

Which one would you suggest I try?

Edited by clutepc
Guest GunTroll

Extra batteries are key! I got learned that one the other day.

Don't move even if you hear something 30 yards off to your left, in the woods, out of sight, when your gun is pointed out in front of you.

Wind is key!

Take a shot when you think you have one. You may not have another.

Know your distances to specific landmarks before calling and remember them the entire set.

Learn coyote body language...I just read an article on this and learned a good yet hard lesson on this. My lesson was a coyote came out of the woods and just sat on the edge of the field directly in front of my call (200 yards away) and I was 100 in line behind my call. He must have saw me move to range him and if I would have known that his body language was telling me he is hesitant...I would have zoomed one out there instead of anticipating him to move in closer. Lesson learned.

I'm learning something new every time I'm out in the field. If you don't go out and try....you ain't learning. Mistakes I make often but I learn something from them every time.

Guest BEARMAN

I also believe to legally hunt with the 7.62, I have to either use hollow or soft point ammo?

Am I wrong with thinking that??

Which one would you suggest I try?

Correct...Full metal jacket ammo is illegal to hunt with in Tennessee, per TWRA guidelines.

Either one will work fine, however, I'd stick with the one that proves to be the most accurate round for your particular rifle. IMO

Edited by BEARMAN
Guest clutepc

Thanks for the Info!! I found a box of hollow points in my ammo case.

I hope that it works out where I can go and give it a try this weekend, depends on the other hunter..

I'd just like to be able to call a couple to where I could see them but If I could get a shot it would probably be like my first deer...lol

If I can't get to the farms I'll go to a WMA and give it a try with the bow again, nice to have something to hunt.