Predator hunting tactics/tricks sharing

Guest GunTroll

Guest Wild Enough To Shoot At

Hey Hunting 101, I'm here in Cane Ridge and would love a chance to hunt with ya. How do ya feel about doing a little filming in the process?

Guest Wild Enough To Shoot At

Well, let me know if you're interested. I'd be willing to be camera guy for ya, I'm sure you could teach me a lot about yote hunting.

• 1 month later...
Guest GunTroll

Does anyone other than Hunting101 (because I already know he has a problem :tough: ) aggressively hunt yotes through out the whole year? How do your tactics change with the seasons if they do at all.

I must have heard 6 or so very close to me the other day while turkey hunting and I really want to keep at em till the heat is unbearable or the bugs drive me mad.

I don't have a problem..... Ok maybe a little one. I caught myself today calling for coyotes. I brought my hand calls. Had a really nice Tom come into 40 yards but stood behind a bush then went back up the hill with the hens. I tried circling around but never seen him again and he never gobbled again. So I busted out the hand call and tried to call in a coyote. It was to windy so no luck.

Guest forte10

I haven't gotten out hunting for coyotes yet in Tennessee. I have found that for hunting predator's hanging blank CD's from trees in area you want to hunt ahead of time will really pull them in as the flashy reflection attracts them great. Looking forward to hunting out here instead of Oregon when it comes to calling in coyote's and have a couple wolves sneak up on you. The CD trick works great for fields and larger open areas.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest 10mm4me

Here's what I do and I am usually pretty sucessful...

1. Scout hunting area for hair, scat, and tracks to ensure coyotes are actually in the area.

2. Enter the area quietly before sunrise and setup downwind, ensure you have plenty of visibility.

3. Rather than a blind, use natural cover and camo to conceal yourself as the yotes will likely approach from a weird angle and a blind will restrict shot opportunities.

4. Once you reach your spot, set up and sit there quiet for about 30 min. and let everything cool down and just listen.

5. Afte the cool down, start off with a quiet cottontail distress and make it progressively louder, do this for about a minute or two then stop.

6. Wait about 10-15 min. then repeat the cottontail distress call.

7. Continue this cycle for about an hr., if there are yotes in the area, you will probably see or hear one.

8. If you don't see or hear one, you probably need to relocate and try somewhere else as coyotes can have a rather large AO, especially when food is scarce.

9. My experience is that howls and barks are useless for attracting dogs. A challenge bark in response to a real bark can be effective but I like to stick to prey distress calls.

10. In the cold months the morning is best and in the warm months dusk is better.

coyote.jpg

I was watching a news report last night where a TWRA officer talked about the deer and other animals in the Memphis area. He said they are pressured into some pretty small areas right now and that a lot of deer were getting ready to drop fawns...

I was thinking that the coyotes are going to know this as well. I would be more than happy to sit out with some night vision gear and keep the bad old coyotes from bothering the nice deer...

Mark

Guest GunTroll
I was watching a news report last night where a TWRA officer talked about the deer and other animals in the Memphis area. He said they are pressured into some pretty small areas right now and that a lot of deer were getting ready to drop fawns...

I was thinking that the coyotes are going to know this as well. I would be more than happy to sit out with some night vision gear and keep the bad old coyotes from bothering the nice deer...

Mark

Be careful with doing that. I'm not preaching to ya for I wish I could use mine without fear of confiscation.

Unless by keeping the yotes from bothering the deer doesn't require TN acknowledged weaponry :P .

Be careful with doing that. I'm not preaching to ya for I wish I could use mine without fear of confiscation.

Unless by keeping the yotes from bothering the deer doesn't require TN acknowledged weaponry :) .

GT, don't own any and wouldn't think of doing something like that in TN until the laws are changed. Just a little out loud wishful thinking...

Mark

Guest 10mm4me
Now thats an exit hole! What did that? (Assuming it is an exit hole)

Good advice by the way.

That exit wound was made by none other than.....drum roll please......a JHP 55gr 5.56x45mm, you know, the weak round with no stopping power that bounces off terrorist.

• 2 months later...
Guest GunTroll
Lol when I saw this thread I thought we we're tracking down child predators or sexual predators, carry on.

delayed response on my part but ...it does sound funny (or not really). ...tricks sharing is nasty and I would not partake.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest stevieb615

So i just read through all 8 pages of this thread, really helpful info. My bud and me have been given permission by his uncle to hunt his 1000 acres of property in alabama this fall/winter but he says he has a coyote problem and hasn't seen much other wildlife activity on the property in a while. So it's mine and my bud's job to go clear out the coyotes. Here's some info before my questions: we're both amateur outdoorsmen so we don't have much hunting experience overall, we're both wanting to use his uncle's property to really get our hands dirty and learn some things. The long guns at my disposal will by a mossberg 500 and an older bolt action .22lr (Revelation!) with a x3 scope. His uncle says he has some long guns we can use but not sure of the caliber they are so we'll just stick to questions about my equipment.

-what choke/load is best for the 12ga? and whats the most effective range?

-best load for the .22lr? or should I even bring that out?

-scouting tips? we have 1000 acres to scout so some sort of direction would be appreciated.

-how much practice is needed with a non-electrical predator call before I should feel comfortable using it?

-money saving tips for buying misc. equipment? we're both broke college students who just try to make it by with what we have rather than spending money on new gear.

Thanks in advance for the advice.

First thing you must find out what the regulations are for what your hunting and make sure you can even use a 22lr. Their website should give you all the info. If you can use buckshot then I would recommend it. As far as 22lr definitely use hollow points but recommend a bigger caliber so you can shoot longer distances for those coyotes who like to hold up and not come any closer. Mouth calls can be easy to master. As long as it sounds like it's dying the it will call them in.