Predator hunting tactics/tricks sharing

Guest GunTroll

I am wanting to get into coyote hunting here real soon. Hell, coyotes are the reason I ever got into guns in the first place, one ate my cat when i was around 11 or 12 so I upgraded from bb guns to a ruger 10/22 lol.

Anyway, my question pertains to .22lr. Is a .22lr going to humanely kill a coyote? I do not like them but I don't want any animal suffering at my hand. My other options are a mosin nagant, which I would use if it wasn't so wildly inaccurate.... it keyholes badly... The only thing it likes is my 7n14 ammo, and I'm saving that for a very rainy day. I have a bow that I'm pretty proficient with but I have no hunting experience so I don't think I could get within range. And I have handguns of various calibers. I don't want to hunt them with a handgun.

Finally, what caliber should I get if I need to upgrade? I would like it to be a caliber also capable of taking deer humanely as well.

Guest GunTroll

Many opinions are coming your way with that post.

If an upgrade is on your future for both deer and coyotes.... here in TN you can legally harvest with any centerfire cartridge. Personally, I would get a 243 WIN. Big enough yet small enough at the same time.

22LR is IMO not what you want to do it with. 22 MAG on the other hand is perfect for the task. I have killed a yote last year with a 17HMR. Will a 22LR work, sure. Everytime...not sure any cartridge has that reputation with all the variables that exist.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GunTroll

Made my first sit this evening. Didn't see anything. Bout crapped my pants when the neighbors opened up on some doves. I packed it up after 20 or so shots. Figured it was no use. Still fun to be in the woods making noises.

Also wished I had brought the shotgun instead of rifle. Too thick in the spot I sat this evening. Gonna be a while for the rifle is the better choice at my closet spot to my house. Need to go and re-get permission at the other spots and scout the land. ITS ON!

I am wanting to get into coyote hunting here real soon. Hell, coyotes are the reason I ever got into guns in the first place, one ate my cat when i was around 11 or 12 so I upgraded from bb guns to a ruger 10/22 lol.

Anyway, my question pertains to .22lr. Is a .22lr going to humanely kill a coyote? I do not like them but I don't want any animal suffering at my hand. My other options are a mosin nagant, which I would use if it wasn't so wildly inaccurate.... it keyholes badly... The only thing it likes is my 7n14 ammo, and I'm saving that for a very rainy day. I have a bow that I'm pretty proficient with but I have no hunting experience so I don't think I could get within range. And I have handguns of various calibers. I don't want to hunt them with a handgun.

Finally, what caliber should I get if I need to upgrade? I would like it to be a caliber also capable of taking deer humanely as well.

Hey Cory I live just outside of Maryville, I'm a novice yote hunter but I have a great place to hunt with lots of yotes. I have the guns needed as well. I use a Mosin sometimes, I have no issues with accuracy with mine, I'd take a yote at 400 yrds without hesitation with open sites. I have a cheap electric call. We shoot a lot of crows and try for coyotes but no luck yet, after reading this forum I've learned quite a bit though. You are more than welcome to come knock around with me sometime and see what we can get.

Guest adamoxtwo
Im looking forward to hitting this year hard. Im gonna deer hunt but I think I will coyote hunt a lot more than deer hunt. Don't get me wrong I will try and kill me some deer for the freezer but gonna target coyotes heavy this winter.

Would love the chance to come out there with ya if you wouldn't mind some company.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking on my properties and have yet to see a red fox. Does anyone have some property with reds on it? I want to harvest one and get it mounted. I've already got a grey and my coyote mount should be ready soon. Im trying to get me a red and bobcat so u can complete my mounts. I had 3to bobcats in a freezer but back when it flooded really bad we lost power for 1 week. It ruined everything in the freezer. I've got a place in Wilson county that I may try. Fox season is open year round there.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GunTroll

I am hearing more and more activity. Come on first frost!!! Need those ticks neutralized before I venture into the woods.

I'm hearing nightly activity a mere 200+ yards from the house. They are bout to get the shotgun unless the foliage falls before I can get out. Anyone else got the same going on around them? I think their activity level is on a upswing?

I called one in yesterday and missed it. He was about 165 yards. Think I shot over it. It was a young one maybe 20 to 25 pounds at the most. he was running when I shot at it. The guy I was with kept moving and it busted us.

I have never hunted predators, but I want (need) to. I keep getting pics of a couple of coyotes on the same trail camera that gives me a lot of fawn pics. I want to take these yotes out, but will the calls disturb the deer activity? I wish I would have hunted them before deer season.

Guest GunTroll
I called one in yesterday and missed it. He was about 165 yards. Think I shot over it. It was a young one maybe 20 to 25 pounds at the most. he was running when I shot at it. The guy I was with kept moving and it busted us.

Ugh...rookies! :)

So you are getting some action. Very soon my friend I'll have you up for a day.

Guest GunTroll
I have never hunted predators, but I want (need) to. I keep getting pics of a couple of coyotes on the same trail camera that gives me a lot of fawn pics. I want to take these yotes out, but will the calls disturb the deer activity? I wish I would have hunted them before deer season.

Good question. I'm leaning ...yes it would. I can't imagine a deer wanting to come into check out a distress sound. Maybe not though. Try a fawn distress.

Good question. I'm leaning ...yes it would. I can't imagine a deer wanting to come into check out a distress sound. Maybe not though. Try a fawn distress.

I have been hesitant to try it this early in the season since the does and fawns are hitting the area about every day, and they are undisturbed. I might try the fawn distress and see what happens. I have some traps, but I would enjoy hunting the coyotes instead.

Edited by Batman
  • 1 month later...
Guest GunTroll

Its worked for me twice now and I though I would share it. Its no great secret but I'm getting results.

I run a cotton tail distress ( e-call about 100 yards or so away with visual decoy) for say 10 min or so and then shut it down. Almost instantly I pick up my mouth call and let out a loud coyote 'hunt' call. I'm not sure what to call it specifically. Its the sound they give when they are closing in on the target. Howls mixed in with barks and such. Either its giving the coyote the all clear signal to come on in and enjoy the hunt/treat or the coyote is responding with more of a territorial approach. Either way the yote comes in towards the coyote mouth call so be ready. The last one walked right by the e-call to come in to my mouth call. I beleive he came in from about 300 yards and I put him down at 80. I'm thinking if you hunt in pairs, you and your friend should both start the calling to give a more realistic 'pack hunt' sound. Not sure I would try this multiple times at the same set but I tried it when I figured the set was over and got one. Then I tried it first at a new set and sealed the deal in 20 min.

Good luck!