Zombie AR lower, need suggestions on a build out

seez52

• Replies 11
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

How much extra was the Zombie Edition? I have a build coming up. Is this your first build? I just built out a Spikes lower and love it. I got a DPMS LPK with Magpul furniture for around $150 from Pallmeto State Armory. Best deal going at the time.

Edited by bigwakes

I've built one other AR, and several AKs, this one is for my son who really thought the markings were great. Apparently they made a run of about 250 of these sometime last year. We were not looking for one, but found this one at the Armory in Lebanon. It was a little less than $150 stripped, which is a bit on the high side these days, but hey when are you going to get something like this again? I think they normally sell stnd. lowers for around $120.

My son thought it was cool. The interesting part for me is how Spikes got away with using the term "live" for the "safe" selector position and "dead" for "fire" position. It seems a bit counter intuitive. I can't believe their lawyers would have approved. For non zombie lovers, this would not make sense and would seem to be a potential huge liability. I think that really makes it unique. He's already planning to do some other colors on the lettering and trying to decide on furniture etc.

There are sooo many choices. I suggest trying to establish a dollar figure first, and have your son look at lots of pictures. I have changed everything on my first carbine build except the complete upper receiver and barrel assemblies. In all cases, I upped the value of the parts over the basic build. You will be money ahead doing it the first time around if you have the budget. I don't have any regrets, because I had use of the rifle the whole time, and enjoyed doing the upgrades. It was just the MOST expensive way to go.

Hadn't considered a 458, does have a good ring to it when said at the same time with zombie!

As with cars these days, seems like the choices are basically unlimited. I think the younger generation enjoys changing the wallpaper on their phone as much as using it, and the same could be said for their guns. There's plenty of stuff here for him to shoot while he figures it out. Making a plan and picking what suits you isn't always quick, but it does have rewards in the end. I think it's going to be a fun project.

He built an AK a year or two ago and we found just the right combination of parts to make his unique and he really likes it. We going to try and shoot for that experience again.