Ever make your own? Show us!

IMG_3709.jpg

IMG_3697.jpg

I wanted a custom hunting knife, and after years of sticker shock, I decided I'd just try my hand at making my own. I ordered this kit: Modern Skinner (Parts Only)

When it got here, I grabbed some scrap walnut I had handy and went to work. It isn't perfect, but I'm happy for a first attempt. I learned a lot. It really isn't as complicated as I imagined; just a lot of sanding and sanding and sanding and sanding and sanding......

Let's see what you've made!

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Drewsett

A buddy of mine just bought an angle grinder to go along with his bench grinder and wood lathe. We are both getting ready to start trying our hand at this sort of thing

Guest Jcochran88
Here is one I made from a horseshoe. There once was a time when I could actually do that stuff, but other things got in the way. I also made one from a railroad spike that is pretty cool.

HorseshoeKnife.jpg

HorseshoeKnife2.jpg

That is really neat, don't think I have ever seen one like that.

Guest Drewsett

That horseshoe knife IS really cool. I would worry about the quality of the steel, though. How long have you had it and what sort of use has it gotten

That horseshoe knife IS really cool. I would worry about the quality of the steel, though. How long have you had it and what sort of use has it gotten

It's actually not too bad. When you make them, you have to add carbon to the blade. I don't ever actually use it, but keep it as a novelty. It's razor sharp and from what I can tell about others that were made like it, they are a reasonably serviceable knife. It's not intended as a hard use knife at all, but if someone wanted to use it for some basic everyday stuff, it would be fine.

I bought the blade as a kit from Woodcraft, then made the handle and sheath. I had the knife sharpened last year, and although it's seen a lot of use it's still scary sharp. The oak came from some old-growth timber on a family farm in Wisconsin, and it's rock-hard.

I think I told the story before on TGO, but I got careless while making this knife and paid some stupid tax.. I still have limited mobility and very little feeling in three of my fingers, but at least they're still attached. Be careful!

I wanna learn how to make one of those horseshoe blades - thats pretty cool!

Knife-Cocobolo.jpg

Guest 10mm4me

I made (and by that I mean I pounded on for a while, after heating in a homemade furnance, a leaf spring) a bowie knife once. It looked pretty good and was razor sharp. I had no idea what the hell I was doing, but learned that bladesmiths deserve every cent for the knives they make, because that was some hard work pounding on that red hot steel. I used it to field dress/skin a deer once and it worked great. It had a simple cord wrap handle. I have no idea where it is now, that was a few years ago.

I wanna learn how to make one of those horseshoe blades - thats pretty cool!

It's pretty simple (relatively speaking of course). Take a horseshoe, cut it in half, heat it in a forge, hammer it into shape, heat it to the critical temperature when you add some carbon to the blade (in this case we sprinkled some carbon powder on the metal while it was red hot), quench it, temper it, cool it, grind it, and sharpen it. See? Easy! :D

Actually, if you ever make it over to the Knoxville area, you can make your own by visiting the Kelgin Knifemaker's Co-op in front of the Smoky Mountain Knife Works. It's run by a semi-retired knife maker named Ken Largin and his wife Paula. You can make a horseshoe knife, a railroad spike knife, or even a custom hunting knife (prices go up the more fancy you get). For the high-end custom knife, you design it, you do all of the forge work, file work, and some other parts of the process, and then the knifemaker does the final grinding and finishing. I was their custom sheath maker for a while until my school work and holster making got in the way. It's worth a visit over there if you make it this way.

About the Co-Op

IMG_2985.jpg

My father made this one for me. It is made of D2 tool steel, and some sort of laminated wood. It wasn't a kit. He ground it, heat treated it, and all. It is a very heavy knife. I've carried it hunting for years now, and have gutted and skinned countless deer with it. It really holds an edge well.

• 3 months later...

A good guy said, "David...come with me." Off we went. We took this little windey road up into the Crow Reservation and pulled off on a flat where there used to be a sawmill. Scattered down the slope were dozens of five and six foot circular sawmill blades. "This place closed up in the '30's and these blades have been here since then. Can you use them?"

I like to have had a heartattack! Even the ones half buried in the dirt only had surface rust...some of the blades were shiny and not stainless. I made knives from a few of those blades for years. I never bothered to pay to have the steel checked, I just used it. That steel made better throwing knives than leaf springs. Naturally...I never took any pictures and my ex kept the set I made for the kitchen, so I can't show and tell...but if you know where there used to be a sawmill and there's still blades...snatch 'em up...great knife material.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest db99wj
Thanks, guys. This one looks and feels great in the hand, but the kit made it simple. Good first kit, looking forward to diving in head first...

Nice Knife. My FIL made one for me, from what I can guess is from the same kit, different handle.

Ill post pics in a second.

ccb5054a-b18b-5282.jpg

ccb5054a-b19f-3e13.jpg

ccb5054a-b1b9-dbe4.jpg